Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1309029 times)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #555 on: December 02, 2013, 06:53:31 AM »

"Throughout the early 1900�s there were many attempts to introduce Atlantic salmon into Pacific waters, particularly British Columbia and Washington State. These attempts were unsuccessful in spite of the release of millions of eggs and juveniles (MacCrimmon and Gots, 1979). Self-sustaining introductions of Atlantic salmon have largely failed even in waters where the species naturally existed such as the Great Lakes where they were extirpated, however, a landlocked self-sustaining population exists in New Zealand. Reasons for unsuccessful establishment in the Pacific include competing healthy Pacific salmon populations at the time of introduction, and use of eggs or juveniles (that had to overcome obstacles in migration, the open ocean environment and spawning), instead of more mature adults (such as the ones escaping from aquaculture net cages). For a good historical review of Atlantic salmon introductions, see Nash and Waknitz, 2003."
http://fwcb.cfans.umn.edu/courses/nresexotics3002/GradPages/AtlanticSalmon/Atlantic_Salmon_History.htm

History has no value if we can not learn from it. :)

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #556 on: December 02, 2013, 08:51:01 AM »

Then you must be aware of this article...

......To his credit Mr. Corcoran has retained some important messages. I (Riddell) am concerned about the salmon farming experience around the world and I do question how environmentally justifiable open-net pen salmon farms are. Mr. Corcoran quotes Dr. Ben Koop, who rightly says science takes a lot of different perspectives and [then] combines and debates. This is exactly what has been occurring on the West Coast of Canada vis-a-vis aquaculture. We, as a community of scientists, acted and initiated the science that triggered management that has temporarily reduced sea lice.......

Dr. Brian E Riddell, CEO, Pacific Salmon Foundation. Alexandra Morton, executive director, Raincoast Research Society

Notice this is co-authored by A. Morton and Riddell refered to Morton in the video.

What isn't mentioned in that letter "co-authored by A. Morton" is the fact that the action taken to manage the lice was strongly opposed by Morton and in fact, the court challenge she initiated that resulted in management of BC salmon farms being transferred to DFO was an attempt by her to block the collaborative action by that community of scientists and the fish farms to find a solution to the lice problem:

"The reason I went to court started with a deal between Marine Harvest and a coalition of enviros I was part of. To allow Marine Harvest to fallow one route of Broughton every spring Marine Harvest said their farms and to be 2-3 times bigger. The enviros were good with that, but I wasn't because as part of my sea lice research I examined thousands of juvenile salmon (live) as they approached and passed the fish farms in Broughton. Sea lice is a numbers game. They are allowed only a few live per fish, but if they triple the number of fish of course the lice numbers increase. SO I left the coalition and found a lawyer to get an injunction and he said "you know what this whole thing is not legal" they are not farms and should not be managed by the province who have no responsibility to the wild fish. Actually the whole concept of fish farming in net pens runs counter to the Constitution of Canada because no one is allowed to privatize ocean spaces or own fish in the marine waters..... However, the feds are as bad as the province and with Harper hacking away at the Fisheries Act, there really is no progress except that the Broughton sites remain in their original size, most are expired because First Nations refuse to OK their renewal." http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?19113-What-can-WE-do-to-help-save-the-salmon&p=229393#post229393

Fortunately, the bulk of the approvals required for the program had been obtained from the province prior to the court removing from them the authority and it was able to proceed, albeit at a reduced level from what had originally been planned, and as Riddell points out, it was successful.

This appears to support the point that Corcoran was making that many activists are less interested in finding solutions than they are in raising money and as is apparent from recent discussions here many farm opponents are much more interested in name calling, personal attacks and arguing than they are in seeing progress made in addressing issues affecting salmon farming.

moosebreath

« Reply #557 on: December 02, 2013, 11:47:58 AM »

It never ceases to amaze me how Morton gets under your skins. This Riddell article and video was not about Morton. I pointed out that Morton had co-authored it to see what kind of reaction it would get seeing that Riddell is well respected.
Riddell and Morton obviously have a working relationship that is amicable as evidenced in this article and her presence in the video. So if you are all so anti Morton and have nothing but good things to say about Mr. Riddell, why not ask him?
Far more important to me is his quote:

"For the record, first and foremost the claim that sea lice from fish farms in British Columbia were contaminating wild pink salmon is true. Without treatment for sea lice, the farms in the Broughton Archipelago were proven to be the major source of lice infecting juvenile pink salmon. The treatment of lice on farmed salmon, a plan developed through collaborative research in the archipelago, successfully reduced infection and proved that the farms were the primary source of infection. There really is no debate on this point."

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #558 on: December 02, 2013, 12:56:41 PM »

I pointed out that Morton had co-authored it..........

And I pointed out why including Morton's signature on the letter on that particular subject was disingenuous regardless of Dr. Riddell's motives for doing so. What's the problem?

moosebreath

« Reply #559 on: December 02, 2013, 01:55:23 PM »

So according to you, Riddell had "motives" for allowing Mortons signature....lol...it  all sounds so secretive and possibly illegal. I don't pay much attention to greenies. So I don't have a problem....you are the one who is "Mortonized".

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #560 on: December 02, 2013, 02:26:38 PM »

Actually, we all, or at least almost all of us, have a motive for everything we do. "Motive" is defined as a reason for doing something and almost all of us don't act without some sort of motive. In fact, I'd venture to suggest that those who act without motive do so because they haven't got the mental capacity to form one.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #561 on: December 02, 2013, 04:22:25 PM »

Astrodon. Motivated one though. ::)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

moosebreath

« Reply #562 on: December 02, 2013, 06:00:58 PM »

So according to you, Riddell had "reasons" for allowing Mortons signature....lol...it  all sounds so secretive and possibly illegal. I don't pay much attention to greenies. So I don't have a problem....you are the one who is "Mortonized". Is that better?   ;D

dnibbles

« Reply #563 on: December 02, 2013, 06:33:55 PM »

Good stuff dnibbles. I really like this quote from Riddell...

"For the record, first and foremost the claim that sea lice from fish farms in British Columbia were contaminating wild pink salmon is true. Without treatment for sea lice, the farms in the Broughton Archipelago were proven to be the major source of lice infecting juvenile pink salmon. The treatment of lice on farmed salmon, a plan developed through collaborative research in the archipelago, successfully reduced infection and proved that the farms were the primary source of infection. There really is no debate on this point."

Do we know each other?  ;)

Hmmm, not sure if we know each other. Given the timing and frequency of your posts, you may be recently retired? Anyways, I think we are in complete agreement on Riddell and his work. At first glance those two quotes may be a little difficult to reconcile, but Riddell is clear in that he is referring to the vector of infection, and not speculating on potential impacts (e.g. extinction within 4 generations).

Anyways, I'm out of this thread, not sure how I ended up back in this vortex of repetition. Thanks for the Riddell video, I guess it breathed a little new life into a very stale topic lol.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #565 on: December 02, 2013, 10:09:02 PM »

So according to you, Riddell had "reasons" for allowing Mortons signature....lol...it  all sounds so secretive and possibly illegal. I don't pay much attention to greenies. So I don't have a problem....you are the one who is "Mortonized". Is that better?   ;D

Not really. It isn't nearly as difficult as you seem to be finding it.

According to me, Riddell had motives (or reasons; suit yourself), not "motives" or "reasons".

I have to confess that I don't understand why you would think either sounds so secretive and possibly illegal but to each his own.

moosebreath

« Reply #566 on: December 02, 2013, 10:13:34 PM »

It was sarcasm you boring dummy. Are you a steve dupe?

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #567 on: December 02, 2013, 11:06:17 PM »

Boring or not, I'm just keeping your words out of my mouth.

moosebreath

« Reply #568 on: December 02, 2013, 11:39:10 PM »

Now I see what dnibbles was refferring to. WHOOPS!...referring to." Anyways, I'm out of this thread, not sure how I ended up back in this vortex of repetition."
I see you made a lot of friends over at SFBC....continue the trend.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #569 on: December 03, 2013, 08:57:25 AM »

....I see you made a lot of friends over at SFBC....continue the trend.

You appear to be doing the same thing here. Difference is that I don't get myself booted out nor do I need to take gratuitous shots at other people in the process.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 10:20:28 AM by absolon »