Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1339942 times)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #3195 on: December 22, 2018, 12:51:03 PM »

there are one or 2 rivers in NZ that have transplanted runs of chinook though they rarely get to any size nor are they terribly numerous
FWIW I mostly avoid farmed salmon. Sometimes I get some given to me. It tastes ok and is much better than it was years ago. Still not wild chinook or sockeye quality of flavour IMO.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 12:52:35 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #3197 on: December 28, 2018, 08:24:50 AM »

https://www.ladysmithchronicle.com/business/b-c-salmon-farm-agreement-a-milestone-for-indigenous-rights/?fbclid=IwAR3J_iQGGzrE9zouCjLmth5qv2r1VxN5s1dfi3Ki8k4OVjiLA1JFv6uxO4k

Just one step closer to this:

B.C. sport fishing agreement yet another  milestone for Indigenous rights. 

Carful what you wish for.

I find it quite entertaining how NGO's are calming a victory here.  What they are essentially doing is empowering small individual indigenous groups to say ya or nay to all thing retaliated to the environment and industry.  This includes sport fishing. 

The irony is this will blow up in NGO's faces in the future however sport fishing will always suffer from this.  I sometimes feel the canadian west coast should just start ranching salmon and call it a day for truly "wild" salmon. 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 10:26:15 AM by aquapaloosa »
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3198 on: December 28, 2018, 09:55:40 AM »

The writing's on the wall with Bill C-262. If it gets passed, Without first nations consent we won't be fishing.

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3199 on: December 28, 2018, 02:21:19 PM »

If there won't be fishing then there won't be fish farms either - only a small minority support fish farms.

I think that having to move the farms from Broughton may be the final nail in the coffin for fish farms.

Imagine that after fish farms are moved out over the next few years and salmon stocks recover.
This will be the final proof that fish farms are damaging wild stocks and DFO won't be able to ignore it anymore.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3200 on: December 28, 2018, 04:47:22 PM »

Haha, you must have found Chris's stash ;D

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #3201 on: December 31, 2018, 01:28:23 PM »

If there won't be fishing then there won't be fish farms either - only a small minority support fish farms.

I think that having to move the farms from Broughton may be the final nail in the coffin for fish farms.

Imagine that after fish farms are moved out over the next few years and salmon stocks recover.
This will be the final proof that fish farms are damaging wild stocks and DFO won't be able to ignore it anymore.

Maybe we should put a bunch of salmon farms on the migration routs of the skeena river salmon and see if the numbers crash....
Oh, they have crashed on their own already without the presence of salmon farms.  Hmmmm.

See what I did there?
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3202 on: January 14, 2019, 07:03:38 PM »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3203 on: January 15, 2019, 01:04:21 PM »

I was there too and will have my pictures and videos up when I return from the badminton tournament in Campbell River.https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/b-c-first-nation-files-lawsuit-to-evict-fish-farms-from-territorial-waters-1.4251339?fbclid=IwAR0tMuLvSVXW59WbJAOIfJWfApKeIVLi3uXT-lqTmCFk30hxeZCQj7YF2mE

Trust me Chris you do not want them to win this case

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3204 on: January 15, 2019, 03:56:42 PM »

A Tyee article on the same subject:
https://thetyee.ca/News/2019/01/11/First-Nation-Lawsuit-Fish-Farm-Licences/

Jack Woodward, a Campbell River lawyer representing the First Nation, said his clients now have three outstanding legal challenges to the fish farm industry and the way it has invaded territory.

One launched against the province last year claims that provincial fish farm tenures infringe upon aboriginal title.

A second is seeking a court injunction that would prevent Marine Harvest and Cermaq from applying to renew other provincial licences in their territory.

And the third is the federal challenge.

“A win on any one of these cases would end fish farm licences for Atlantic salmon on the coast,” said Woodward.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3205 on: January 15, 2019, 04:23:13 PM »

Exactly.  It opens the door for so much ... timber, mining, any development ,hunting, fishing ... pretty much anything happening on FN territorial land will be open for discussion, and, at a cost.  The lawyer era is just starting.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3206 on: January 15, 2019, 06:18:15 PM »

Not worried one bit.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #3207 on: January 16, 2019, 08:23:35 AM »

Look if the science comes out and points to all the bad things that fish farms do and they get removed that one thing.  I think most could get on board with that.

However, to remove them based on First Nation claims is far different. First Nations could come out tomorrow and say that its a unjust infringement on their right that they do not have a C/V Steelhead Quota. That they have the right to fish ahead of recreational fishermen for all fish species.  They could also say that the C/V fishery is now closed to all recreational anglers. Angling on our traditional territory is banned, The recreational fishing community has not received our consent.

I'm surprised this needs to be spelled out for you have you not been keeping up with current events?  Maybe spend some time and go read Bob Hootons blog...

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3208 on: January 16, 2019, 11:52:11 AM »

Look if the science comes out and points to all the bad things that fish farms do and they get removed that one thing.  I think most could get on board with that.

However, to remove them based on First Nation claims is far different. First Nations could come out tomorrow and say that its a unjust infringement on their right that they do not have a C/V Steelhead Quota. That they have the right to fish ahead of recreational fishermen for all fish species.  They could also say that the C/V fishery is now closed to all recreational anglers. Angling on our traditional territory is banned, The recreational fishing community has not received our consent.

I'm surprised this needs to be spelled out for you have you not been keeping up with current events?  Maybe spend some time and go read Bob Hootons blog...
I donot see it happening but anyway we will not live long enough to see who is right, as it would take a long time to come to pass.Right now it is important to be saving our fish stocks for the future generations. I know the PAPG said what is happening now would not be. Watch for my videos once I get back home to see the whole story on this latest news.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3209 on: January 16, 2019, 01:04:25 PM »

You live in your own little world Chris ::)