Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1341297 times)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

clarkii

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #2236 on: July 11, 2016, 07:23:29 AM »

We are talking about FF, looks like diversion by you once again. See troutbreath's post for things more to the point.

Sure miss SS posts I guess he has finally seen the writing on the wall.

Or you know, maybe he is doing some weird random thing called fishing

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2237 on: July 11, 2016, 10:01:26 AM »

Or you know, maybe he is doing some weird random thing called fishing
I doubt he has time for fishing right now but bet your butt he is involved with fish.
Chris, the writing has been on the wall in big, bold letters for years now but you refuse to read it.  Here it is again, just for you ...

fish farming is here to stay ;)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2238 on: July 11, 2016, 03:56:27 PM »

We are talking about FF, looks like diversion by you once again. See troutbreath's post for things more to the point.

Sure miss SS posts I guess he has finally seen the writing on the wall.

I'm still around but I have been very involved with my kids lately as well as fishing as was noted already as a likely activity at this time of the year. Been mending from some injuries also. However, I'm slowly transitioning from fishing to the summer/fall field season.

Seen the writing on the wall? Lol. Chris, if only you truly knew how small of a space you and other activists (including Ms Morton) in this fish farm issue actually occupy. Lot more going on with activists not involved like they think they are. Nothing really new to discuss other than rehashing the same old stuff over and over again, so just been doing other things.

PRV is really no different as this virus is apparently ubiquitous here amongst salmonids. It also found in US waters. Recent studies show that the virus likely predates fish farming here. Folks that angle should understand that any restrictions that fish farms encounter with PRV is likely going to transcend over to sport angling if the concern is about it spreading (which makes no sense because it has been shown to exist in farmed and wild fish for some time). With environmental conditions (i.e. Ocean and Freshwater) being the way they are there are a multitude of endemic pathogens already that wild salmon can fall victim to, so to make some big stink about HSMI, which is not totally fatal and has only been documented in farmed fish in Norway and recently in some here, is kind of sensationalize more than it should be at this stage. One thing that got forgotten in this rush to judgment were all the fish that had PRV but showed no clinical signs of HSMI or the wild salmon that did not develop HSMI when directly injected with PRV.  From a fish culture end of things, diseases like IHN pose far more risk so at this stage we should put things in perspective and not drinking the Kool-Aid in large doses.

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #2239 on: July 11, 2016, 04:35:12 PM »

only been documented in farmed fish in Norway and recently in some here

From what I have read these findings have not been confirmed and fall under the category of might, maybe and posable.  Correct me if I am wrong.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2240 on: July 11, 2016, 11:06:14 PM »

From what I have read these findings have not been confirmed and fall under the category of might, maybe and posable.  Correct me if I am wrong.

You could be correct. On a similar note I'm still waiting for confirmation of disease in those transferred Marine Harvest fish from Morton, but to date she has provided no evidence of disease.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2241 on: July 12, 2016, 07:44:48 PM »

Sea Shepard with Alex coming to Vancouver shortly and someone that will even excite even Dave. More info to follow.

Welcome back SS  and hope injuries are not too severe,I understand now why you did not attend the Wild Salmon Caravan in your territory last month, what a trip it was.

I see it looks like Dave is back from camping in his own back yard so to speak. :P

I stayed in your favorite campground between SB and M you should be there, filmed this little video for you to bring back a memory of the area for you. https://youtu.be/CORx5Ouq3E4 First nations know a lot more about things than most of us, including the FF issue of course. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 07:46:55 PM by chris gadsden »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2242 on: July 16, 2016, 09:38:00 PM »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2243 on: July 17, 2016, 10:40:53 AM »

I will be there filming and picture taking for this tread and the PAP gang. lol http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/2016/07/15/sea-shepherd-launches-campaign-to-investigate-farmed-salmon-industry-1828#.V4sJBpJekpg.facebook
Almo sure does seem to attract them!  Now we have the well-known fisheries spokesperson Pamela Anderson on board, as well as the Chief of arguably the most militant Indian band in BC; the same band that advocates for gravel extraction in the “heart of the Fraser”, operates an unregulated landfill near the Fraser, and regularly thumbs their noses at DFO and its conservation regulations.  He says fish farms contribute to the declivity of wild salmon … I say his members do far more harm.

The good news is we have the unbiased reporting of Chris to set the record straight ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2244 on: July 17, 2016, 06:20:25 PM »

Almo sure does seem to attract them!  Now we have the well-known fisheries spokesperson Pamela Anderson on board, as well as the Chief of arguably the most militant Indian band in BC; the same band that advocates for gravel extraction in the “heart of the Fraser”, operates an unregulated landfill near the Fraser, and regularly thumbs their noses at DFO and its conservation regulations.  He says fish farms contribute to the declivity of wild salmon … I say his members do far more harm.

The good news is we have the unbiased reporting of Chris to set the record straight ;D
You will be happy to know they are reading your posts. Hope to see you at Jones Lake next weekend to help cleanup the mess there left by many that are polluting the waters there.

Will say Hi to Pam for you tomorrow which by the way is related to my first cousin on the Island. :-X ::)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #2245 on: July 17, 2016, 07:02:56 PM »

I find it interesting that Sea Shepherd and Doc Morton would not investigate the Atlantic Salmon Farms in their own home country back yard. Perhaps you can ask for us Chris. :)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #2246 on: July 17, 2016, 10:05:11 PM »

I will be there filming and picture taking for this tread and the PAP gang. lol http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/2016/07/15/sea-shepherd-launches-campaign-to-investigate-farmed-salmon-industry-1828#.V4sJBpJekpg.facebook

Where are all these places with "lots" of wild salmon but no salmon farms? Would Pam be talking about Alaska? I guess the TelePrompTer in front of her didn't mention about ranched salmon and how they are raised. No mention of the billions of ranched salmon released each year by Alaska, Russia and Japan. But I guess they have Pam believing that ranched salmon are wild. Washington State farms are different apparently......I mean treated differently.

Now fish farms are responsible for making it hard for whales to feed their families. Oh so touching....Too bad that it didn't really get into all the factors involved and attempt to be more informative instead of fear mongering.

Then you have First Nation leadership getting after DFO meanwhile having no issue extracting gravel from the "Heart of the Fraser River". Did the wild salmon caravan stop there this year? Kind of a protest-free zone I guess.

Conducting audits for disease and other factors huh? I guess this is what activists do to make it appear that they are really doing something but in actual fact they are so far away from the current research to date that they need the help from Hollywood to boost ratings.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2247 on: July 17, 2016, 10:14:57 PM »

I find it interesting that Sea Shepherd and Doc Morton would not investigate the Atlantic Salmon Farms in their own home country back yard. Perhaps you can ask for us Chris. :)
I will let you handle that.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2248 on: July 17, 2016, 10:21:34 PM »

Where are all these places with "lots" of wild salmon but no salmon farms? Would Pam be talking about Alaska? I guess the TelePrompTer in front of her didn't mention about ranched salmon and how they are raised. No mention of the billions of ranched salmon released each year by Alaska, Russia and Japan. But I guess they have Pam believing that ranched salmon are wild. Washington State farms are different apparently......I mean treated differently.

Now fish farms are responsible for making it hard for whales to feed their families. Oh so touching....Too bad that it didn't really get into all the factors involved and attempt to be more informative instead of fear mongering.

Then you have First Nation leadership getting after DFO meanwhile having no issue extracting gravel from the "Heart of the Fraser River". Did the wild salmon caravan stop there this year? Kind of a protest-free zone I guess.

Conducting audits for disease and other factors huh? I guess this is what activists do to make it appear that they are really doing something but in actual fact they are so far away from the current research to date that they need the help from Hollywood to boost ratings.
We did stop there and because of the Fraser River Gravel Stewardship Comittee that I have a small part of no major gravel extractions have taken place the last few years.

Recently some meetings have taken place on this subject which I am sure you are aware in the capacity of your work or at least some others in the department. If you have not I am sure you can find out. :P