Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1338903 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #2175 on: February 08, 2016, 03:10:09 PM »

I hear ya Nova ... I used to do histology on fish tissues and actually handled known carcinogens like xylene, formaldehyde and acetone with bare hands .. didn't know any better back then :'(  and like you I consider myself relatively healthy.
And you're correct, the fish we caught near the fish farm could have had some form of contaminant level but what fish doesn't nowadays? Check out the famed Alaskan Copper River sockeye and chinooks for resididual contaminants ... scary.
Dead Pacific orcas, St. Lawrence belugas and Baltic seals are considered too toxic for landfills; we live in dangerous times for the environment and I can't see it improving anytime soon; make the best of what time we have left and hope the next generations can somehow right our wrongs.

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #2176 on: February 08, 2016, 06:02:45 PM »

Most of what I use now is actually edible, tastes horrible and makes me really , um , gassy. Stay down wind!  ;)For my own safety first and foremost as I come in contact on a daily basis, but also for my customer's safety, I stay as green as possible. There's been a lot of progress in chemical engineering for what I need to use. I got hydroflouric acid  burns on 2 fingers once. It's calcium seeking and the only way to deal with it was to take off 2 fingernails and open the meat to the bone to neutralize it. I found out why fingernail removal was an effective torture.
http://

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #2177 on: February 08, 2016, 08:35:59 PM »

Say what???

capezon is a persons name, cabezon is perhaps a fish or big head
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2178 on: February 08, 2016, 09:50:43 PM »

capezon is a persons name, cabezon is perhaps a fish or big head
sorry, spelling mistake :-[

ClayoquotKid

« Reply #2179 on: February 09, 2016, 10:58:08 AM »

A few years ago I posted that I had the opportunity to jig for bottom fish with my brother in law, a few km outside of Port Hardy. Understand, neither of us were experienced with this type of fishing but he had a 40' sailboat, we were spreading my mother in law's ashes in the Pacific at her request, and it was a beautiful, sunny day.  Some beers were on board and consumed.  He knew my stand on salmon farms so I asked him to drift alongside a farm and we did, perhaps a hundred M from the first farm we came to (on the left, just out of Hardy Bay) jigging big ugly spoon like chunks of shiny metal, just off the bottom. Again, we are total beeks at this style of fishing but in about 45 minutes we caught 4 species of ground fish, the only 2 I could identify were a small ling cod and a capezon.
While drifting along side this salmon farm we saw many sea birds, a few dolphins, several sea lions and many seals. The place was alive with living things.
To me, this one day of fishing near a salmon farm totally convinced me a farm properly sited, taking into consideration sheltered bays and tidal influences, made my argument easier to defend.

There was a video posted earlier of prawns thriving beneath salmon farm net pens ..., perhaps someone could dredge that up ;D

Prawns:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il0Y16uZmNs

Here's a link to research done in Washington State re: beneficial impacts of aquaculture: http://www.wfga.net/documents/marine_finfish_finalreport.pdf

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2180 on: February 09, 2016, 03:26:29 PM »

Thanks CK!

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2182 on: February 19, 2016, 11:17:53 AM »

Way to keep the thread alive, Bob!

It's like a website called "FrackingIsOk.com" saying there are no problems with fracking.

There is some good information in this link, however.

It appears that DFO published sea lice counts for individual farms:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/aquaculture/reporting-rapports/lice-pou-eng.html

Double-digit louse counts per fish (up to 24!) at several sites.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2183 on: February 19, 2016, 12:25:16 PM »

So, let me see If I have this right … Almo predicted sea lice would cause the extinction of pink salmon and now we find that obviously didn’t happen, with populations actually increasing, but they are one of the reasons there are more sea lice, even far from fish farms.

Interesting ;)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2184 on: March 01, 2016, 11:12:34 AM »

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2186 on: March 01, 2016, 07:22:31 PM »

http://www.farmfreshsalmon.org/bc-dialogue-breakthrough
Nice try but it was not all that great as this article tries to say it was. ::)

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2187 on: March 01, 2016, 10:02:50 PM »

Nice try but it was not all that great as this article tries to say it was. ::)
Please explain your thinking as the two links are entirely different.  One mentions problems in Norway, the other talks about how salmon farming in BC can get better with collaboration from various concerned experts in the field of salmon farming, including anti's.  Seems to me these meetings of people concerned with salmon farming in BC and Washington are a good thing.

One wonders, was Almo there?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2188 on: March 04, 2016, 06:28:39 PM »

Dr. Kristi Miller, an internationally recognised scientist from Fisheries and Oceans Canada, joins the Salt Spring Forum to discuss her research on wild salmon (and how to save them), an issue of extreme importance for the coast of BC.

In 2011, Dr. Miller published an article in the world-leading journal Science but then was prohibited from discussing her research with the media by the Harper government. Since the change of government this past fall, Dr. Miller is once again able to speak freely.

Dr. Miller has worked with Fisheries and Oceans Canada since 1994. She is currently the Head of the Molecular Genetics Laboratory at the Pacific Biological Station in Nanaimo and an adjunct Professor in the Department of Forest and Conservation Sciences at UBC. She has conducted genetics and genomics research on fish and shellfish for over 20 years; her current research is focused on the role of infectious disease in wild salmon declines.

Tickets are available at ArtSpring at 250.537.2102 and online at http://www.tickets.artspring.ca/, or at Salt Spring Books. $15 Forum Members; $20 General Admission.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #2189 on: March 04, 2016, 08:35:31 PM »

Wherever you copied this from should update their files; her married name is now Dr. Kristi Miller-Saunders ;)