Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1309420 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #1380 on: February 19, 2015, 06:51:44 PM »

Land based salmon farm:

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2015/02/17/land-based-salmon-farm-to-meet-production-cost-targets/

" Atlantic salmon in closed-containment systems grow to market weight in 12 to 15 months, compared with 21 to 24 months in ocean-based net pens."

You don't see the fishfarmers pitching on the research being done here. Which does not surprise me as usually they only beak off about "pellets" thinking that's some sort of contribution. Won't be till no one will buy there dirty fish that they will catch up to speed. Hopefully then it will be "Dino land" for them.

Gung Hay Fat Choy to Kuterra. Qiāng yú piánpián to the dirty fish farmer. Seeing it's new years. ;D
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1381 on: February 20, 2015, 08:10:46 AM »

Land based salmon farm:

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2015/02/17/land-based-salmon-farm-to-meet-production-cost-targets/

" Atlantic salmon in closed-containment systems grow to market weight in 12 to 15 months, compared with 21 to 24 months in ocean-based net pens."
It looks like they are not counting the time it takes from egg to smelt. And what do they consider market size? The hole article smells of marketing by pen bashing, not informative of closed containment systems at all. I would also like to know where their smolts come from.
  TB, I will believe you mean what you say when you eat what you preach. :)   
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:04:30 PM by Fisherbob »

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #1382 on: February 20, 2015, 09:21:52 AM »

Ya,  Seems to be some unclear details in the article.  The fish in the photo are 5 to 6 lbs where on a ocean pen the harvest size would be much MUCH bigger.  I'm not sure if the timelines are clear in the article. 
In the spirit of open and transparent, it would be interesting to get all the info, feed rates, harvest size and numbers and dates.
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #1383 on: February 20, 2015, 10:56:21 PM »

Now that the technical issues have been resolved, Ulstrom estimates it would cost about $6 million to replicate the facility. That’s still higher than the capital cost of a net-pen farm, but closed-containment aquaculture answers many of the pressing environmental issues that the ocean-based industry is wrestling with, including Atlantic salmon escapes, chemical controls for sea lice and the spectre of disease transfer to wild fish. – Randy Shore

Sounds like fish farm opponents here are wrestling with trying to sell their theories in the face of favourable productivity of Fraser Sockeye salmon in recent years despite the fact that fish farms are still operating.  Not a great correlation for farm critics to use anymore if they are attempting to say that salmon farms are devastating BC wild salmon.  Could there be more to this that critics have overlooked?  Apparently, we all needed to look at the escapement numbers back in the last decade as evidence that BC fish farms were the cause of Fraser Sockeye declines, but now fish farm opponents don’t even mention these numbers.  Pink salmon abundance is not even brought up.  Now all critics talk about is Norway.  No mention viral surveillance work done here and recent work on PRV and farmed Chinook Salmon.  Randy Shore should really be writing about how BC fish farm critics are wrestling with trying to maintain credibility with their firmly held beliefs in the face of new information and data that fails to support those beliefs.

I think it’s great if Kuterra can make a go of it.  My issue has never been the development or use of closed-containment – instead it’s the case brought forward by people like Morton which unfairly paints the industry here as reckless and implicates it as the primary cause for Pacific Salmon declines.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #1384 on: February 21, 2015, 10:01:21 AM »

Sounds like the same excuses for lousy fish farming practices.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1385 on: February 21, 2015, 11:10:16 AM »

Sounds like the same excuses for lousy fish farming practices.
There is no excuse for not keeping up with the times TB. :)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #1386 on: February 22, 2015, 09:02:46 AM »

There is no excuse for not keeping up with the times TB. :)

Well I'm a little surprised your for land based fishfarming bawby! Next you'll be back donating money to Morton. Good on ya.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1387 on: February 22, 2015, 10:42:36 AM »

Well I'm a little surprised your for land based fishfarming bawby! Next you'll be back donating money to Morton. Good on ya.
I am just against their anti-salmon farm marketing campaign. They would be better off being transparent about how the operation works. But on the bright side, Doc Morton and her warriors get to eat what they have been pushing on the public. Let me know how it tastes TB. :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 11:13:47 AM by Fisherbob »

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #1388 on: February 22, 2015, 12:15:25 PM »

Sounds like someone put SLICE in your cornflakes. :-\ I didn't know they were slighting your business. I believe their product would be something to buy though, no problem. Unlike the dirty stuff.

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1389 on: February 22, 2015, 01:10:08 PM »

Sounds like someone put SLICE in your cornflakes. :-\ I didn't know they were slighting your business. I believe their product would be something to buy though, no problem. Unlike the dirty stuff.
Eat what you preach then. Let me know how it tastes TB. You may want to remove the foot first though. :)
   Btw
http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=10818426
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 02:15:54 PM by Fisherbob »

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #1393 on: March 10, 2015, 12:48:54 PM »

I didn't get past the first paragraph where I found a fault with this article.

Be forewarned, please, that this will not be very pleasant reading, especially if readers eat farm-raised fish and, in particular, salmon, a highly-farm-raised fish. “Wild-caught” need not apply. - See more at: http://www.the-open-mind.com/the-side-effects-of-vaccinated-farmed-fish/#sthash.GVrksZat.dpuf/

Wild fish need not apply???  How do you tell the difference between a wild salmon and a ranched salmon or a hatchery salmon.  One is vaccinated and the other is not.  What other hatchery systems receive vacinations?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 12:50:32 PM by aquapaloosa »
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1394 on: March 10, 2015, 04:31:59 PM »

I didn't get past the first paragraph where I found a fault with this article.

Be forewarned, please, that this will not be very pleasant reading, especially if readers eat farm-raised fish and, in particular, salmon, a highly-farm-raised fish. “Wild-caught” need not apply. - See more at: http://www.the-open-mind.com/the-side-effects-of-vaccinated-farmed-fish/#sthash.GVrksZat.dpuf/

Wild fish need not apply???  How do you tell the difference between a wild salmon and a ranched salmon or a hatchery salmon.  One is vaccinated and the other is not.  What other hatchery systems receive vacinations?
Nothing new, the PAPG find fault with any thing anti FF. :D :D :D