Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1342137 times)

Easywater

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #1351 on: February 12, 2015, 10:49:49 AM »

http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/opinion/letters/290977591.html?fb_action_ids=10153159039856095&fb_action_types=og.comments&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B669659619810624%5D&action_type_map=%5B%22og.comments%22%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D
One of the notable quotes in one of the articles linked to this one:

Morton says  government and industry ridicule has had an ironic impact on public support.
What they don’t understand is the more we get attacked the higher our credibility rises".

http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/news/174838471.html

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1352 on: February 12, 2015, 01:52:15 PM »

One of the notable quotes in one of the articles linked to this one:

Morton says  government and industry ridicule has had an ironic impact on public support.
What they don’t understand is the more we get attacked the higher our credibility rises".

http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/news/174838471.html
That may be true if Doc Morton ever gets some thing right.  ::)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1354 on: February 12, 2015, 02:16:47 PM »

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:24:27 PM by Fisherbob »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1356 on: February 12, 2015, 05:32:05 PM »

Cohen's report didn't not point out any primary cause for Fraser Sockeye declines; however, it was proposed during the inquiry that a more likely explanation is that something changed in the ocean (i.e. ocean conditions), specifically the Strait of Georgia.  That's pretty general and there are caveats attached to that which Stewart should have mentioned.  So, Cohen didn't conclude that it was ocean conditions; instead there were many factors implicated as possible causes.  Clearly what came out of Cohen was that there were data gaps and the time series being used was too short to make any big conclusions on a specific cause.  Currently, there is work being undertaking to fill in these gaps (i.e. Salish Sea Marine Survival Project, Fish Health Initiative).
http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/opinion/letters/291756691.html#.VN02UTqTRSE.facebook

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Dave

• Old Timer

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #1359 on: February 12, 2015, 09:52:27 PM »

http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/opinion/letters/291756691.html#.VN02UTqTRSE.facebook

Ed was ok until he got to the 4th paragraph.  That's when his argument starts to nose dive.  He brings up the Cohen Report saying how Stewart Hawthorn "cherry picked" his information from the report.....but then Ed starts talking about Norway which was not the scope of the Cohen Inquiry or the Final Report.  He talks about what Stewart fails to mention in the report but then goes sideways and starts talking about Norway. Why not talk about what Cohen found and didn't find?  The reason is that it doesn't support critics claims that aquaculture is the primary cause of Fraser Sockeye declines.

Who funds this "ongoing" research?  Well, I imagine he is insinuating that it is solely funded by BC fish farms; however, the fact is that these are collaborative efforts (PSF, DFO, universities, Genome BC, American scientists, and industry) with funding coming from not just industry, but the PSF and DFO.  When Ed or his buddies buy a salmon stamp that money can potentially go to these efforts. So, who funds this?  Well, you do in a way, Ed.

Fallowing of sites has been going on since 2003/2004 to my knowledge. It wasn't a new concept in 2008 (the outmigrants which contributed to the record 2010 return), so Ed's recollection is incorrect.

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #1360 on: February 12, 2015, 10:03:54 PM »

I don't think you're going to like this outcome Chris ;)

It's more for crowd morale than anything else. The numbers (Sockeye returns) are not supporting her doom and gloom theories and she knows it.  Fraser Sockeye productivity has been good lately - if anything things are not getting worse.  She needs to keep the troops happy and make it seem that she is still battling, but really she is moving two steps back for every step forward.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1361 on: February 12, 2015, 10:28:04 PM »

It's more for crowd morale than anything else. The numbers (Sockeye returns) are not supporting her doom and gloom theories and she knows it.  Fraser Sockeye productivity has been good lately - if anything things are not getting worse.  She needs to keep the troops happy and make it seem that she is still battling, but really she is moving two steps back for every step forward.
Of course you will say that.

At the Long Table today and Dave was there to hear it too. ;D  A LT regular stopped by our short table and told us he had tried FF fish and it was just terrible, thought that was always true but could not verify that fact as I had never taken the opporunty to test it and I am glad I now will not have to. ;D ;D ;D

SS you must know, everything you hear at the LT is true. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 10:30:17 PM by chris gadsden »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1362 on: February 13, 2015, 07:22:18 AM »

The long table regular who didn't like farmed salmon was a quality control supervisor for a company best known for making processed cheese slices and Cheez Whiz ... 'nuf said ;)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #1364 on: February 13, 2015, 10:22:08 AM »

Well Bawb I'm sure you and Odd had some chuckles feeding SLICE to the fish back in the day. But oddly enough Odd is criticising Mortons academic credentials when his own is at odds with his new profession. You should read some other stuff to get a perspective on things.

https://ca.linkedin.com/pub/odd-grydeland/8/a35/6b0

He slighted by not "friending" you on his linkin page though.

For your perusal.

http://commonsensecanadian.ca/shoddy-science-hargreaves-beamish-dfo/
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?