Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Get your facts straight?  (Read 1342361 times)

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Get your facts straight?
« Reply #1320 on: February 03, 2015, 10:50:22 AM »

And I believe the Canucks will win the Stanley Cup this season ...

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #1322 on: February 06, 2015, 08:53:17 PM »

Following up on the "Alex going to court" thread where Morton, in June 2013, took Marine Harvest to court over allegedly transferring PRV (Piscine Reovirus) infected Atlantic salmon in net pens where she contended that it would spread like "wildfire" and fears that it could put wild Pacific Salmon at risk of diseases like Heart and Skeletal Muscular Inflammation (HSMI).

No on knows what is happening to wild salmon that have been exposed to massive farm salmon populations infected with piscine reovirus.  Maybe it is killing them, maybe it makes them too slow to catch food, or escape from whales, maybe it is doing nothing. - Alexandra Morton

http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alexandra_morton/2014/06/back-in-court-june-11-13.html

Well a new study has just been released last month which should go a long way to ease Morton's concerns. The lead author is Kyle Garver who was an expert witness at the Cohen Inquiry and was routinely quoted by Morton.  I guess he is now on the hit list with Beamish, Jones, Marty, Sheppard, and any other scientist that that does not tow the line.  Her bunker is getting little smaller now. 

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jfd.12329/full

In summary, this is the first study to investigate the infectious potential of a Chinook Jaundice Syndrome. Our results suggest that the Jaundice Syndrome is of low transmission potential and likely not solely attributable to infection with PRV. Additionally, these experiments demonstrated that Atlantic Salmon and the Pacific salmon species, Chinook Salmon and Sockeye Salmon that were exposed to PRV all developed a sustained PRV infection without the occurrence of morbidity or evidence of disease. These initial findings suggest the Pacific coast strain of PRV is of low pathogenicity for Atlantic, Chinook and Sockeye Salmon.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1323 on: February 07, 2015, 10:37:42 AM »

Wot, Almo is wrong again?? You have to think people are getting tired of her game of crying wolf ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1324 on: February 08, 2015, 08:50:21 AM »

Is this not serious?

Escaped farmed fish tested positive for severe disease
"The fish had extensive skin ulcers and fin erosion, pale gills, and some fish had snutesår. The fish had empty stomach bleeding internal organs, swollen spleen and bloody hindgut. "
Aina Fladset

Published 02/08/2015 at 1:43 p.m. Updated 02/08/2015 at 16:15
Professor Are Nylund has examined escaped rainbow trout for Norwegian Association of Hunters and Anglers. Photo: Magne Turøy
Pancreas Disease (PD)

The disease affects Atlantic salmon and rainbow trout.
It is highly contagious and can be passed from one fish to or through the water.
A framed fish will lose your appetite and can become emaciated and get reduced harvest quality.
The disease can lead to acute heart failure in the fish.
It is estimated that PD costs the Norwegian salmon industry a billion dollars a year.

This is written in the final report by the analyzes of 15 rainbow trouts caught by Askøy.

But fish had more injuries than we could see with the naked eye.

- All the fish were positive for PD (Pancreas Disease journ.anm.). That it was detected in all came as a surprise to us. This poses a threat to wild fish and fry in rivers when spawning rainbow trout coming up there, says Alf Arne Bright, project manager for wild salmon in Norwegian Association of Hunters and Anglers.
- Should have been destroyed

The surveys are done by Are Nylund, a professor at the University of Bergen and one of the country's foremost expert on fish diseases, commissioned by Norwegian Association of Hunters and Anglers.

"Skin abrasions showed large amounts of varying types of bacteria," it also states the report.

ALSO READ: The professor checks escapees without charge

- These fish should to have been undergone emergency slaughter and desturert says Alf Arne Light.

Approximately 120,000 farmed fish has been on the run since extreme weather "Nina" in January, according to the Directorate of Fisheries.
Suspected virus infection

Sjøtroll Aquaculture is the only company that has reported that they have lost the rainbow.

Over 60,000 will be on the run. The species is banned in Norway, and is native to North America.

ALSO READ: Quests escapees with harpoon

According to an article in the online newspaper iLaks.no was Sjøtroll fish health boss Bjarne Reinert, quick to confirm that the document that has not been proven PD virus at some of the many samples taken of fish from this site in the current production cycle.

Wednesday came, however, evidence that shows that Sjøtroll subsequently notified of suspicion about PD in one of the localities fish escaped, according to the online newspaper.

CEO Willy Berglund Sjøtroll Aquaculture would not comment Sunday this above BergensAvisen.

- Read iLaks.no. Beyond that I have no more comment, enter the director in an SMS to BA.
Mystery

Saturday broadcast TV 2:01 reportage, where among other Berglund shows how recapture near a construction going on.

- The strange thing here is that I can actually see that the fish displayed in the report does not resemble the ugly fish caught outside Askøy. Whoever Berglund showcase in the report looks relatively nice, says Alf Arne Light from Norwegian Association of Hunters and Fish Association.

Today there are farms even as reports to the Directorate of Fisheries if fish escape.

Sjøtroll Aquaculture is not the only facility in the area engaged in farming of rainbow trout.

- It may be the case here, is that some have also failed to report an escape. If this is the case it is a clear sign of how badly the current system actually is, says Alf Arne Light.

BergensAvisen has previously asked the Directorate of Fisheries this may be possible.

- Can you see past the fact that there may have happened escapes that are not reported?

- As long as the arrangement is such that farmers themselves must report it is difficult to look away sire. But we come to, and must, relate to the foundation we have, stated Hans Haddal Directorate of Fisheries to BA.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1325 on: February 08, 2015, 09:38:11 AM »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1326 on: February 08, 2015, 04:30:51 PM »

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1327 on: February 08, 2015, 07:22:05 PM »

Once again, nobody says jack about salmon farming in Washington. :)

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #1328 on: February 08, 2015, 07:42:34 PM »

Do some homework Chris :o  Those pictures are irrelevant to the aquaculture industry in BC, for so many reasons... all of which have been discussed so, so many times here on FWR.

You and I are buddies, no question, and we agree on far more issues than the few we discuss here on this forum, but I think you're becoming a wannabe journalist pot stirrer, a Greendale Rafe Mair ... you like to throw this garbage out there to see the reaction, and of course I take your bait readily.

So I ask you, how does this link you sent have any relevance to fish farming in BC or Washington?  Please, no C&P ing ... just your thoughts.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1329 on: February 08, 2015, 09:34:09 PM »

Do some homework Chris :o  Those pictures are irrelevant to the aquaculture industry in BC, for so many reasons... all of which have been discussed so, so many times here on FWR.

You and I are buddies, no question, and we agree on far more issues than the few we discuss here on this forum, but I think you're becoming a wannabe journalist pot stirrer, a Greendale Rafe Mair ... you like to throw this garbage out there to see the reaction, and of course I take your bait readily.

So I ask you, how does this link you sent have any relevance to fish farming in BC or Washington?  Please, no C&P ing ... just your thoughts.
Just showing what FF ing can do, its not all a bed of roses like some try to say it is.

Gosh I thought I as already a journalist, don't you read The Journal? ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1330 on: February 08, 2015, 09:34:58 PM »

Once again, nobody says jack about salmon farming in Washington. :)
You can deal with that as it seems to concern you now and then. ;D

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1331 on: February 09, 2015, 06:37:24 AM »

You can deal with that as it seems to concern you now and then. ;D
Only because it looks to me that American Doc Morton's crusade looks more and more like a simple marketing advertisement Chris. Buy American. Why would you not also care about the salmon farming just to the south of us? You sure seem to care about what happens around the rest of the world.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1332 on: February 09, 2015, 10:08:18 AM »

Only because it looks to me that American Doc Morton's crusade looks more and more like a simple marketing advertisement Chris. Buy American. Why would you not also care about the salmon farming just to the south of us? You sure seem to care about what happens around the rest of the world.
We need to spread the workload around, a good project for you in 2015. ;D ;D

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #1333 on: February 09, 2015, 12:10:23 PM »

We need to spread the workload around, a good project for you in 2015. ;D ;D
Or perhaps Doc Morton. But then she does not seem to mind Atlantic salmon farming in her own country. :)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 12:29:54 PM by Fisherbob »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #1334 on: February 09, 2015, 05:34:58 PM »

Or perhaps Doc Morton. But then she does not seem to mind Atlantic salmon farming in her own country. :)
No I think you would be an excellent choice to handle that file, please keep us updated how you make out.I know SS and Dave as well will be pleased to hear about your findings.