Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly guys  (Read 7689 times)

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
Fly guys
« on: March 19, 2013, 07:23:56 PM »

Is it just me,or are you guys noticing alot more fly guys on the cheddar lately? They stand in the water where the fish hold. They fence post. And when they are moving along they take a long time to cover the pool.Im finding it very frustrating to fish the river these days. ???

Funeral Of Hearts

Re: Fly guys
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 07:33:04 PM »

Funny.. I usually go on the fly. I rarely stand any more than ankle deep and I find the gear guys get in the way and fence post. i cover the water quick and end up having to go around the gear guys who seem to have grown roots.
I do also gear fish on occasion BTW...

I don't think it is necessarily "fly guys" or "gear guys" fence posting, just "guys". Generalizing fly anglers as fence posters is kind of short sighted.

:)

skitterbug

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 07:38:22 PM »

Fly guys fence posting!!! Hahaha.....what's this world coming to! I've only seen a couple guys spey fishing at the train bridge, they don't move at all. Are there others, most fly/spey like to start at the tip and work their way down. I agree has more to do with the fisher than the gear they're using.

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 08:16:03 PM »

One guy i saw today swinging the starvation stick was literally camped out in the tail out of a run i was trying to fish through.In another hole i hiked into,i stared in disbelief as the fly chucker was standing waist deep right in the seam,where the steelies like to hold. And elsewhere the fur and fly flingers were moving so slowly down the runs,it was like waiting for a bus. I realize everyone has a right to fish the river no matter what type of gear they use. But holey crap man, i cant believe what im seeing out there these last few days.Lol

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 08:32:08 PM »

I think you're just jelous of their fancy hats and fanny packs. ::)

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 10:39:29 PM »

Damn fly guys! Hate them.
Especially those with Eastern European looks and accents.
The scourge of the Vedder - I tell ya! >:(

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 02:52:28 AM »

As usual, the same old negative people bitch about others when they don't catch any fish.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2013, 07:07:40 AM »

I generally don't mind fenceposters but ran into several guys this year (one fly, two gear) that low hole me and root themselves at a spot 100-150 feet from the tailout. They can't effectively fish the prime water and I would need to be standing in their swing in order to fish it.
Shake head, move on  :P

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2013, 07:33:44 AM »

Best revenge against fence posters and low holers is to pull out a bullet chrome steelhead right behind them.  ;D

Pin-nook

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 08:39:02 AM »

So I was at Lickman practicing my Roll Cast and Snap T for like 2.5 hours on a Saturday morning and couldn't understand why people were getting upset!

I was standing waste deep in the middle of the run letting my line drift close to the tailout. I was just practising because people kept telling me that you have to master the perfect loop cast. I mean it wasn't like I was hooking fish, I was just practicing in 1 spot. I just don't understand why so many people were there getting upset when there wasn't a single fish hooked while I was practising. I then went up to the Prison area and did the same thing to get away from the Lickman crowd and was there for about 3 hours and same thing, more guys getting upset! I just don't understand why guys get so worked up, I was just practising my casting and not trying to catch fish. ;D :o

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 10:21:26 AM »

Damn feather flickers whipping up the water into a froth with their starvation sticks. I don't mind fishing guts, artificials or metal behind the fur & feathers all day long. All they do (most of the time it seems) is move the fish around and concentrate them elsewhere in the piece of water they're fishing.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2013, 10:36:20 AM »

Damn feather flickers whipping up the water into a froth with their starvation sticks. I don't mind fishing guts, artificials or metal behind the fur & feathers all day long. All they do (most of the time it seems) is move the fish around and concentrate them elsewhere in the piece of water they're fishing.

Very true. My first two seasons on the Vedder I fished a single hand fly rod exclusively. My buddy fished a levelwind with Schlappen jigs (no scent, no rubber).
I found that my swing pushed the fish just beyond my reach and he came in and picked up fish behind me casting no more than 10 feet further. This happened a dozen times so it couldn't have been coincidence.
Now I look for fly guys to follow when I'm tossing gear  ;D

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2013, 12:25:17 PM »

How long till you guys can start moaning about flossers again? :)

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 12:36:52 PM »

How long till you guys can start moaning about flossers again? :)

Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 01:13:16 PM »

Not trolling, I'll add my 2 cents when Im not at work.