Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best siwash hooks for colorado spinners?  (Read 6497 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Best siwash hooks for colorado spinners?
« on: March 14, 2013, 10:54:04 AM »

Hoping someone can clear this up for me: I've noticed some colorado spinners I buy have a perfectly straight open eye siwash hook. For example the Gamagatsu siwash hooks look like this. However other open eye siwash hooks have a bent hook, like an octupus hook. I bought the parts the other day to make my own colorado spinners. The hooks I bought are Mustad Ultra Point open eye siwash (#1). The hooks are ofset like an octupus hook, not staright like the Gamagatsu.

So, I'm wondering, what are some perfectly staight and some offset? I think someone told me once years ago that the straight one will not affect the action of the lure (or at least very little), whereas an offset hook will afect the action of the lure. However the offset hook is more likely to keep a fish on.

Next time I go to buy siwash hooks I'd like to know more regarding the difference between the straight and bent versions. One more thing, I've noticed if you buy Blue Fox spinners they always have a straight open eye siwash hook, whereas if you buy a spoon (eg. an iron head) they always have an octupus style hook. What's the deal?

I also need to replace the trebble hooks on some old flatfish with open eye hooks...again wondering which of the two styles is best. Thanks in advance to all that reply. Love this forum site. I've learned a lot!!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
Actions speak louder than words.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Best siwash hooks for colorado spinners?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 11:33:55 AM »

I prefer off set hooks.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 11:53:21 AM »

You need a hook with holding capability, especially fishing barbless for fish that like to spin.
The Gamakatsu inline (non-sickle) hooks suck for holding ability and they are brittle.

Bot Siwash Sickle and Offset Siwash (closed or open eye) hooks are much better. I really like the Mustad Ultrapoint offset siwash hooks, though they tend to be a bit on the big size for their rating relative to an Octopus style hook. Sea-Run carries them.
I also use the Matzuo sickle hooks from First Bite. Both are acceptable.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 11:59:57 AM »

I like the offset Mustad Ultra Point open eye siwash, they also have a shorter shank that works better when adding split rings on a flat fish, or a swivle on a spinner or spoon.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 12:17:27 PM »

A standard Gammie siwash can easily be off-set by using a set of pliers. I do that with mine to get better hook setting. Once you goto a bigger siwash like a 2/0, they do hold well regardless of off-set or not. But if you are looking for a hook that holds well, then consider one of the sickle hooks. They do hold well IMO. The Gammie big river hooks are now available in both bait holder and siwash configuaration. These hooks are expensive but really good. Matzuo sickle siwash are more brittle and not as good as gammies, but I do use them as they are available in smaller sizes like 2 and 4 unlike the Gammies. 

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 12:19:40 PM »

+ 1 for mustad ultrapoint. Started using them at the beginning of last coho season and never looked back.
Edit to say when my hooks get bent I throw them out.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 07:55:59 AM »

Thanks guys, lots of good info! I've never tried sickle hooks buy now I would.

Sorry but I still don't really understand WHY the straight siwash hooks are used/sold if they have so many downsides. All the little trout lures I have (kokanee king, etc) all came with a little straight siwash hook. I'm assuming this is to affect the action on the lure as little as possible. On the other hand, the big spoons I have for salmon all come with offset hooks which is unlikely to affect a big lure wih some weight moving through fast water.

Am I right or a mile off? I need to replace the trebble hooks on some old flatfish with a single barbless hook. I imagine the best way to go so as to not muck with their designed action is to use a straight hook like the Gamagatsu siwash. Hmmmm....

Verdi

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 01:40:18 PM »

I also love the mustad ultra point, open or closed just add a split ring for the closed.
The only thing with the open, is the hook is hard to pinch closed due to the harden hook, just make sure it is fully closed.
the split ring will also drop the hook back more for the lazy biters.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 02:02:19 PM »

Thanks guys, lots of good info! I've never tried sickle hooks buy now I would.

Sorry but I still don't really understand WHY the straight siwash hooks are used/sold if they have so many downsides. All the little trout lures I have (kokanee king, etc) all came with a little straight siwash hook. I'm assuming this is to affect the action on the lure as little as possible. On the other hand, the big spoons I have for salmon all come with offset hooks which is unlikely to affect a big lure wih some weight moving through fast water.

Am I right or a mile off? I need to replace the trebble hooks on some old flatfish with a single barbless hook. I imagine the best way to go so as to not muck with their designed action is to use a straight hook like the Gamagatsu siwash. Hmmmm....
I find offset (or sickle) hooks are also needed on larger spoons and even in salt water applications.
Straight hooks are cheaper to build?

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 02:06:22 PM »

mustad ultra point  ;)
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.