Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vancouver coast guard  (Read 3193 times)

chronicfisher

Vancouver coast guard
« on: March 04, 2013, 07:23:19 PM »

Just curious what are the people on this forum feeling about the station being shut down here so a new one can be added on the East coast of new foundland.from what I gathered the reason for the move there is to make more money.my cousin works in the oil industry and he says the reason for the new station on the East coast is the amount of growing oil rigs off the shorelines from 4 to 7.also he mention the closet coast guard help in new foundland has to travel there from halifax.I agree they need help on the East coast but what are we left with? We are a busy coastal area but we don't need one here too?I feel like we've been kicked to a side and left behind just for power of the dollar.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Vancouver coast guard
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 07:33:35 PM »

Politics

arimaBOATER

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 11:17:45 PM »

Maybe the Feds will sell the land for "big bucks".
( or donate the land to the City of Vancouver )

There will be a 5-6 month "craft"ready at Coal Harbour during the boating season.
Also the CG Aux volunteer guys will help out.

Guess we boaters will have to listen extra close to ch 9 & pitch in.

If there are 2 deaths in 5 yrs there will be no big knee jerk reaction BUT if there are 5 boating mishaps & 10 drownings ...it will be a case of "we told ya so"

Believe me the area waters can get nasty & this is a true story.
Once just across from Steveston Harbour on the south side of the river we got into at least 10 ft or higher standing waves !!!!
We climbed up the wave & dropped like an elevator going down & the next wave was right there.
Barely any distance apart.
Been in that area of the river 100s of times & had a few scary times but nothing like that.
Guess there was just lots of current, in coming tide & a good NW wind.
Also there is a "C" curve thus extra flow right there.
Got over to the middle of the river & it was a lot safer going...maybe 3.5 fters.
Point being these waters can get nasty.

Another time in Howe Sound in 8 fters white caps coming from the SW.
Was in a 21 ft boat nevertheless had to make "the turn" & head back to Lions Bay.
The "turn" had to be exact or else the boat could of flipped on it's side. ( overturned ) Had to turn the wheel hard & hit the throttle & the next wave hit into the starboard stern side.
Felt right to turn hard to port.

Heard a lot of stories about Sandheads but I tried to time tides right & winds so did not get too scared out that way ha ! Lots of big tugs barges ship traffic..

Boating can be thrilling & maybe the danger is part of the adventure. Ya get home over joyed ( because your still alive!!!!!)  ;D

Big hazard also is speed , dirty water,debris, logs & deadheads.
North Fraser has a lot of deadheads by the airport.
Seen many of them.

One Taiwanese local boater told me about getting lost in fog & he could not see 10 feet in front of the boat. He got lost.
Out in English Bay.

Best is high tide, low winds & go slow & it's 99% ya will get back to the boat launch & have had an exciting time. ( oh ya add in sunny day too )
Lots of stories could be told by local boaters.

Then ya got the guys who watch the fireworks & in the "dark"head back to McDonald Beach Boat launch or head up the main arm of the Fraser...
Now that takes "guts" to boat at night in the Fraser R.
No way I'd do it.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 11:38:24 PM by A-BOATER »

chronicfisher

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 05:06:39 PM »

Wow that sounds like a reason to further more to shut down the station.so if I were on a boat by the mouth of the Fraser who is thing to help me out if I get in trouble?just curious these volunteers do they get training?where does their equipment come from?

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 10:54:55 PM »

I don't agree with shutting down the Kits base.
Fortunately chronicfisher we still have the Richmond base.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 11:10:08 PM »

The main CCG base on Sea Island ( airport ) has it's hovercraft(s) to head north east west south from that location. A mayday call from Sandheads & the hovercraft will be on the scene in  short time.

The CG Aux. volunteers get donations & they have some good rescue boats from what I've seen.

When Prince William got married it is custom the Royals give $$$ to various causes.
Think I'm right on this; a donation was made to the CG Aux. here in Steveston.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 02:58:04 PM »

Some people who worked at the base told me that 70% of calls to the Kits CG were something stupid, like people ran out of fuel or intoxicated. Not life threatening situations.
Of course all the boaters in English bay will tell you it's awful that it closed.
My hunch is that someone will open a private rescue company if there is enough demand and charge people for rescues.
As it should be.
All SARs should start charging for rescuing people out of bounds doing things they were expressly told not to do.

TacoChris

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 04:49:19 PM »

If 70% of the calls where for something stupid 30% where justified. 30% is a high number. Many firefighters or police have a very high percentage of false calls or garbage calls. Many calls for idiots can turn into emergencies if left long enough.

Not having as base in Canada's bigest seaport is stupid. If the lone hover craft is busy who will respond? The hover craft is good for some situations but not for every thing. It is expensive to run. It can break down what then?

arimaBOATER

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 05:29:39 PM »

Watch tonight's 6pm tv news.
One of the leading stories will be the rescue of two fishermen. Their boat started taking on water.
Plus 2 other calls where boats got grounded.

If ya miss th 6 pm BC news on tv then go to the CTV or Global websites & ya can check it out.

Bill

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 05:23:38 PM »

They are counting on other boats in the area to assist in distress calls, in most situations that will work, but when the weather turns and the sea's get rough there seldom is any boats out in those conditions except the big boys. I don't know how the feds think we can handle a boat on fire with burn victims, or a sinking boat with 5 or 6 people on board. When the wife and myself travel by water for our holidays it is just the two of us we both turn 60 this year, there is no way my wife can pull anyone out of the water especially if they are hypothermic. Our politicians made a bit of noise just enough to get there face on TV when this was first announced, but when it shut down not a pep, they should have and still should be screaming bloody murder. 
Thats my .2 cents