Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An Interesting Day On Cultus, Sort of  (Read 3321 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
An Interesting Day On Cultus, Sort of
« on: May 25, 2004, 07:20:49 PM »

As I reported yesterday was heading to Cultus Lake to help FOC catch some pike minnows for a population estimate.

At the same time would film the event for BCTV that I feelance for.

Met Dave from the Cultus Lake Salmon Research laboratory for coffee at Riverside Rest. to go over plans for the shoot.
We then did the lead in to the story at the lab before heading to the launch with Leaf Craft to meet Jeff and Jeremy also from the hatchery in their boat.

I had Frank from the Fraser Valley Salmon Society with me with the plans to film from my boat.

While rounding the entrance to the launch at Jade Bay I heard a bit of a pop and looked in the rear view mirror to see one of the boat trailer's wheels breaking free. I had gone a up a bit on the curb and when I came down the bump was enought to cause the problem I assumed.

I stopped right away and luckly the trailer came down on top of the now loose wheel that in turn supported the trailer or it could have come down on the side and damaged the Leaf Craft's motor.

So called a flat bed to have her towed to my mechanics shop for a new axle.

The tow truck operator on inspection of the axle said there was some corrosion going on so it was lucky it happened where it did at a low speed and not on the Freeway. :o

With Leaf Craft on her way for repairs I joined the crew on the water and got some good footage and a story which because of the delay did not get the story to the BCTV news room. As it is not time related will now attempt to file it for Thursdy as I will be in Vancouver then. No guarantee they will use it though.

We caught about 10 pike minnows when I was filming between 11:15 and 12:30 and Jeff, Frank and Jeremy had caught a lot more before I got to be with them. I fished a bit between filming and my bad luck continued for the day hooking and losing but one. :-[

Dave, Jeff, Jeremy and Frank did a great job during the interview part of the shot and I have 22 minutes of raw footage to work with including a couple for the bloopers reel.

The idea is to tag around 900 of them if possible before the 19th of June when Thw Fraser Valley Salmon Society will be having a derby with lots of great prizes including up to $500 (5 prizes of $100 each) for those catching tagged fish.

From these numbers they will use them to try to estimate a number of P K's in the lake.

The pike minnow as you know feeds on salmodids and with the Cultus Lake Sockeye on the endagered list these predators are not helping with the recovery the people at the lab are saying.

Consider entering the derby on the 19th to do your part. Rodney will be posting more info on this forum or check out the Fraser Valley Salmon Society web page at http://members.shaw.ca/fraservalleysalmonsociety/  for more info on the derby.

So ended another fishing adventure that was both good and bad. :-\
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 07:25:36 PM by chris gadsden »

Randog

Re:An Interesting Day On Cultus, Sort of
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 08:01:01 PM »

Sorry to hear about the Leafs craft. I guess it's not rolling rolling rolling along right now.

Sorry Chris, but you left yourself wide open for that one, and I just had to get a jab in there ;D

Hope the damage isn't too bad.

ocean_going

• fish on
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 08:47:11 PM »

yeah had problems with trailers too, you  have to maintain them, otherwise, oops there goes another $300 could a cost 70 if you only  replaced the bearings... oh well..... better luck next time

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 10:34:39 PM »

You are right and I just had the Leaf Craft in for her yearly checkup 5 days ago. I believe what happened was just something that was undetected and no ones fault except mine for driving over the curb.

As I said today it was a blessing that it happened when it did and not driving down the freeway. A good tip though Ocean_going to check what you have mentioned as may save someone reading this to check their bearings etc..

Good one Randy but The Leaf Craft will be rolling rolling rolling right along ;D ;D ;D just like Calgary is and the Leafs will next year as we once again prepare for the parade on Younge Street.

Thanks, forgot about my slogan, will have to incorporate it my writeups more often for Fish A. to enjoy. ;D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 10:35:50 PM by chris gadsden »

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 10:40:33 PM »

Chris I think you need to consider the consequences of putting such a foul sticker on you beautiful boat!!!! It is probably cursed now and the only way of fixing it is putting a Canucks sticker over the laughs sticker!!!!!!
I hate to be the one to tell you this but someone has to look out for you ;D

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!