Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying decide between 3 and 4wt  (Read 10478 times)

wyper

Trying decide between 3 and 4wt
« on: February 01, 2013, 08:54:05 AM »

I am looking into getting a new rod for this upcoming season. Currently I have a dragon fly 6wt that I really enjoy. It was the first rod I had purchased and have used it for 2 summers now. I want something that is lighter and will be more exciting to fish seeing as I am only fishing local lakes and rivers were most trout are between 8 and 14 inches. I have used a friends 3wt for a day and it was so much fun when hooking into a smaller fish! I am just worried that a 3 will be too small for some of the larger trout I run into... Would it be better to error on the side of safe and go with a 4wt? 

qescott

Re: Trying decide between 3 and 4wt
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 10:05:23 AM »

I would go with the 4wt. Just in case you do get larger fish, or you want to use it somewhere like the interior. Plus a 4 will preform better in wind. I fish a 5wt for trout and I've had a blast catching 12-14" bulls and rainbows all day.

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 10:54:50 AM »

A 4wt is more versatile, and I have always been a propent of the belief that to start with, you should vary your rods by two weights.

As such, since you already have a 6wt, the best bet would be a 4wt.  Then you may want to consider an 8wt afterwards for salmon/steelhead.  :)

A 3wt will work as well though for small trout if that's what you end up thinking you'd prefer. 

Good luck!
Tex

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 11:06:34 AM »

10 foot 4 weight u can nymph and dry fly fidh local rivers with no problem and cast a heavy sink tip and pick up line faster on still watter

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 04:48:44 PM »

10 Foot 3 weight if you can find it.

If I were in your position. I would actually get a 3 (8 foot) and 4 weight (9 foot), skip the 5, keep the 6, and then go for an 8. 3 for light wind, lighter presentation, dries, and shorter smaller streams or just trolling on lakes, and the 4 for winds, streamers, czech nymphing, longer casting, or when you know there are bigger fish around.

Thats just me. I also have two 5 weights, and a 6. So, although I believe the same as Tex with the 2 weight variance, I also have more rods than I need, and will continue to get more.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

roseph

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 05:01:27 PM »

10' 4wt.  Unless you're only targeting tiddlers in small streams (in that case get a shorter 3wt), the 10' 4wt will cover almost every trout fishery in BC.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 05:17:28 PM »

10' 4wt.  Unless you're only targeting tiddlers in small streams (in that case get a shorter 3wt), the 10' 4wt will cover almost every trout fishery in BC.
As respectfully as I can, may i say HAHAHAHAHAHA!

A 12 weight will cover every fish you could think of in BC, but that doesnt make it any fun at all.

roseph

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2013, 05:39:12 PM »

As respectfully as I can, may i say HAHAHAHAHAHA!

A 12 weight will cover every fish you could think of in BC, but that doesnt make it any fun at all.

You obviously have a different approach when it comes to choosing what weight rod but I stand by my statement.  I have a 10' 4wt RPL+ that I find is the perfect stick for almost all my trout fishing from chironomiding to dries on the skagit (with enough backbone for the bulls). 

Not everyone wants to hoard a million rods for every situation you can find yourself in.  For most it's the trout rods and reels and the steelhead/salmon rods and reels.  Less is more in my opinion.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 05:50:25 PM »

You obviously have a different approach when it comes to choosing what weight rod but I stand by my statement.  I have a 10' 4wt RPL+ that I find is the perfect stick for almost all my trout fishing from chironomiding to dries on the skagit (with enough backbone for the bulls). 

Not everyone wants to hoard a million rods for every situation you can find yourself in.  For most it's the trout rods and reels and the steelhead/salmon rods and reels.  Less is more in my opinion.

I can respect your stance. I am not trying to be a dick and say "OMG THIS GUY IS SO WRONG!" or anything like that, just offer a different perspective. As time goes on, I find myself wanting the perfect tool for different scenarios (as in, my dry fly rod is short and accurate, my streamer rod is long and casts a mile) where as, like you, I CAN make a lot of situations work on a single stick. So I am only offering my experience and motivation in contrast to yours (and many others) for the sake of the OP to have different ideas as what to go for, based on their preference. Just wanted to clairfy, as Im really not trying to push buttons and upset anyone.

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 06:05:44 PM »

cabeles and allen both make 10 ft 4 5 3 and 2 weights

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 07:40:36 PM »

Allen makes a good product.

I havent used tons of their stuff but i know people that own reels and they love them. I was going to buy a 12' 5wt two hander but instead got something else in the same weight  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 08:12:10 PM »

my buddy got that rod and its fantastic he bought 2 he uses them for swining flys for cuthtorat on the harrrison i ended up getting one aswell and love i use a 360 gr. scandi short head, slick shooter running line loads the rod perfectley

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 08:13:13 PM »

they also make a 10ft single hand 7wt i use for loch style compotions on stillwater u can punch heavy lines in the wind and pick up line quickley

wyper

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 08:50:58 PM »

Hey thanks for all the replies guys! Really helps. I am planning on getting an 8wt down the road for sure. I think I like the idea of going by 2 with my rods. At this point I am leaning towards the 4wt. I had not ever thought of going with a cabelas rod. I have been looking at the Winston passport series but they don't have any 10' 4wts I don't think.. Are the cabelas a quality rod?   

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 09:36:21 PM »

yes i have 4 of there rods and they are fantastic i have the Cabela's CZN Series Rods i have 2 of them the 9'6 3 weight and the 10' 4 weight that and there three forks rods rod in 6 weights and i lovem