Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying decide between 3 and 4wt  (Read 10480 times)

Blackgivesway2blue

Re: Trying decide between 3 and 4wt
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 11:02:21 PM »

10' 4wt will cover almost every TROUT fishery in BC.

A 12 weight will cover every fish you could think of in BC,

so dan , where you fishing a 12wt for trout ?  ::)

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2013, 05:23:23 AM »

Haha I actually did fish an eight weight for stocked bows in saskatoon when my rod broke. Also no fun.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 08:13:55 AM »

I was curious about the price difference between Cabelas & Allen. Cabelas CZN rods are on sale for 149.99 (from 199.99) and Allen rods are 229.99. I was looking at the 10' 4wt models. Sure cheap nowadays to get a person into some decent/good quality stuff without breaking the bank OR having the wife lose her sh** on you  :o

Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2013, 02:14:32 PM »

Yep if u want to break the bank u van get a dage esn 10ft 2 weight witch i use when i compotion fish on atreems i got it at an action for 200 they are normaly 800

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2013, 03:32:01 PM »

what the hell SteelheadAddict !!

proof read your posts before posting it please. Unless you are trying to leave a message in code,this is the most difficult to read or understand reply i have ever seen on this site and there has been some very difficult posts over the years

I realize that lots of members here are english as a second or even third language but people can at least read over their post once before posting it for crying out loud ::)

HOOK - always reads over his replies before posting
Check out our new blog

FreshyPT

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2013, 01:50:38 AM »

Try an Amundson Midge, comes with 3WT and 4WT tips. http://www.amundson.ca/flyfishing/Midge/midge.html
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work.
~ Just Keep Fishing ~

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2013, 03:39:44 PM »

first of all its my first language second of all srry i was typing on my phone third i apologize to u for make your life so hard

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2013, 03:52:06 PM »

first of all its my first language second of all srry i was typing on my phone third i apologize to u for make your life so hard

LOL!!!

It's funny, I figured it was on your phone with some of the errors you were making.  Too funny, nice comeback!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 04:37:46 PM »

I also post from my phone but i still read over and fix my mistakes. just because your phone has predictive text doesnt mean you dont have to read it over before posting and fix where it either didnt add the correct word or you didnt spell it correctly leaving behind random piles of letters ::)

you didnt make my life hard but did make my head hurt a little trying to decifer your message  ???
Check out our new blog

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 07:53:10 PM »

lol thanks tex  ;D

ajransom

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 07:33:25 AM »

I am looking into getting a new rod for this upcoming season. Currently I have a dragon fly 6wt that I really enjoy. It was the first rod I had purchased and have used it for 2 summers now. I want something that is lighter and will be more exciting to fish seeing as I am only fishing local lakes and rivers were most trout are between 8 and 14 inches. I have used a friends 3wt for a day and it was so much fun when hooking into a smaller fish! I am just worried that a 3 will be too small for some of the larger trout I run into... Would it be better to error on the side of safe and go with a 4wt? 

I had the same dilemma last year (see my previous thread). I took advise from the forum guys and went with a 9ft 4weight. It's more versatile and is still great fun for small stocked rainbows. It will be a great tool for fishing dry flies on any trout stream in BC. I bought a redington classic trout 9 ft 4 weight and I love it! Plus at wholesale sports in Langley they are on sale for $125. Paired up with a nice redington rise click and pawl reel it makes for a beautiful little trout outfit.

Good luck!

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 02:43:39 PM »

I'd recommend that you go with the 3-weight for river and stream fishing for trout. I personally prefer a 2-weight, as it allows me to toss very lightly weighted nymphs on longer leaders, and makes a superb dry fly rod. My 2-weight can easily handle trout up to 18 inches without having to play them for a prolonged period of time, and makes the typical trout (8 to 12 inches) feel like a fish twice its size.

You have to read between the lines when reading the American and U.K. magazines and books, regarding fly rod selection and recommendations, as they're writing about angling in parts of the world where they're legally allowed to fish multiple flies, with Hopper-dropper setups and multiple nymphs and streamers - whereas a lighter fly rod, in the 2- or 3-weight range, is much better suited for our province's "single fly only" angling regulation.

Anyways, that's my 2 cents on this subject...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 02:47:10 PM by Tyson »
>>>http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum<<<

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2013, 02:53:05 PM »

Yep if u want to break the bank u van get a dage esn 10ft 2 weight witch i use when i compotion fish on atreems i got it at an action for 200 they are normaly 800

That's a great deal Max! Can't wait to see your new rod at the next competition. You're going to absolutely love it!

Cheers,
Todd
>>>http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum<<<

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

Chehalis_Steel

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2013, 03:57:21 PM »

For me the 3 wt kind of falls into the same category as a 7 wt. Nice to have but not that useful because it's too heavy on the one side and too light on the other in terms of target species. The 3 would be a bit light for big trout and char and too heavy for small trout in really small creeks. You can still use the 4 for bigger trout and get away with it, if you're experienced at fighting fish.