Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do I still believe in Dr. Morton  (Read 10924 times)

Fisherbob

• Old Timer

StillAqua

Re: Do I still believe in Dr. Morton
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 02:14:43 PM »

But she never said the story was non-fiction....... ;)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 12:34:54 PM »

Like the old saying goes... never pass judgement based on hear say until you know the facts.

so where's the forum's evangelists now to defend Alex Morton and her use of templates for spreading fear monger? or would this latest report just pass as another pro lot propaganda?...because lately i'm finding a pattern where anti feedlot protestors will ask the pro lots for definitive proof to defend their stance, yet can't answer basic questions about discrepancies in their statements and similarities in reports/findings where they're so adamant about their claim of devastation.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 03:15:14 PM »

The link provided by Fisherbob is a great site to read another side of the fishfarming issue, one not mentioned by Morton et al.  Sign up for the automatic updates.
As blaydrnr says, read this stuff then make up your minds; don`t allow others to do that for you.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 05:11:08 PM »

Dave I think you meant the link was one sided view from salmon farmers. :)

http://salmonfarmscience.com/about/

I'm sending it to "the onion" for them to do a spoof on.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 05:39:22 PM »

Like the old saying goes... never pass judgement based on hear say until you know the facts.

so where's the forum's evangelists now to defend Alex Morton and her use of templates for spreading fear monger? or would this latest report just pass as another pro lot propaganda?...because lately i'm finding a pattern where anti feedlot protestors will ask the pro lots for definitive proof to defend their stance, yet can't answer basic questions about discrepancies in their statements and similarities in reports/findings where they're so adamant about their claim of devastation.

Interesting how quickly you folks hang your hats on a salmon feedlot enquirer publication....   Is it because they put "science" in their name?

Note how they describe themselves..... "We are people who work in aquaculture..... We are interested in science, particularly the science of salmon farming, and want to share our passion with others.  We choose to remain anonymous because we do not wish to open our personal lives up to attack....... "

Sounds a little like what the dictionary defines as "coward". At least Morton is front and center with her opposition to feedlots.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 06:28:49 PM »

At least Morton is front and center with her opposition to feedlots.
Of course she is because that's her only platform in her quest to save wild salmon.
So far she has declined to answer questions on this site, even with blinkered supporters to back her words, whatever they might be ..
What are FWR readers to take from her decision to be silent???

On the chance Ms. Morton is indeed reading this ... please show us the data you have collected and report on in the media or your blog ... that same data funded by your supporters, whoever they are because they don`t seem willing to admit funding you, at least here.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 08:04:58 PM »

Interesting how quickly you folks hang your hats on a salmon feedlot enquirer publication....   Is it because they put "science" in their name?

Note how they describe themselves..... "We are people who work in aquaculture..... We are interested in science, particularly the science of salmon farming, and want to share our passion with others.  We choose to remain anonymous because we do not wish to open our personal lives up to attack....... "

Sounds a little like what the dictionary defines as "coward". At least Morton is front and center with her opposition to feedlots.

funny how you mention science since her scientifically based studies have never been fully accredited...why? because when asked about the discrepancies in her findings and publications (including quotes made by her), she never went on record to explain why there were uncanny similarities to the pattern of decline in salmon stock which correlated with historical data predating the commencement of salmon feedlots...she couldn't even come up with a variance report pointing out any significant differences in percentage drops.

she's great when it comes to publicity, but fails in making appearances when put under the microscope.

Posted by: chris gadsden
Insert Quote
From Alex's notepad.  http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alexandra_morton/2013/01/salmon-feedlots-this-was-not-a-mistake.html

95% of what i read was based on the 'monetary' aspect and entitlement of the waterways...where's the bulk of her argument dealing with the sea lice infestation and pathogens that she's so highly concerned about?

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 11:28:23 PM »

This pretty much says it all…..

“she's great when it comes to publicity, but fails in making appearances when put under the microscope.”

Morton is great promoting her theories, but apparently refuses to back them up or defend them when questioned.  What is “cowardly” is that she leaves this site when the questioning becomes too uncomfortable for her to answer.  It certainly was not because people on this site were rude or asked totally out-of-bounds questions.  Her quick departure speaks volumes because if she is the expert her followers make her out to be then she should be able to answer those questions on the spot.  If she is as comfortable making those claims in front of a camera or to screaming followers at a protest rally then responding to questions on an internet fishing forum where she can check her facts at her leisure should be no problem.  The fact is that they were not difficult questions or unfair.  Even a simple yes or no would have sufficed for some of them.  Instead, she puts more effort in making unsubstantiated claims on this site and promoting another petition based on more false information.  Instead, she has the audacity to make demands for others to answer her questions and provide proof of their position while she passes the buck when the situation is not the “love-in” she is used to.  What’s worse is that she gets her followers on this site to defend her position for her.

While salmonfarmscience may be a bit sarcastic at times when posting about Morton they allow opposing points of view as long as the comments are not nasty free-for-all.  On the other hand, Morton’s blog is hardly a forum where opposing views are openly welcomed because she is very selective when opposing views are presented.  What salmonfarmscience does that Morton often does not is provide the whole reference so you can read it for yourself.  As with Morton’s latest blog post, she provides only what she wants you to see to make her argument.

Coward: a person who lacks courage in facing danger, difficulty, opposition, pain, etc.; a timid or easily intimidated person.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/coward?s=t

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 01:31:45 AM »

it's funny how when protesters rally, they need to promote their gatherings as PEACEFUL PROTEST ...geez i wonder why? it's not like environmentalist have a history of spiking trees, blowing up pipelines or making death threats...could it have anything to do with Eco terrorism or something along those lines? ::)

i guess if i was concerned about my own family's safety, you could also label me as coward ...maybe you'd be different?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 07:22:36 AM »

This pretty much says it all…..

Quite defensive aren't we.....

Are you one of "anonymous" writers on the salmon farming "science" site?   :o  ::)

PS: We won't tell anyone, it can be our little secret.   ;D  ;D
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 07:27:11 AM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 08:29:00 AM »

......." We choose to remain anonymous because we do not wish to open our personal lives up to attack....... "

Sounds a little like what the dictionary defines as "coward".

What was it you said your name was? Oh, that's right......you didn't say.......you choose to remain anonymous.......

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 08:55:29 AM »

What was it you said your name was? Oh, that's right......you didn't say.......you choose to remain anonymous.......

Welcome back absolon...   I'd like to say you were missed, but.......

Many people know my name.....   and no it's not "anonymous".   ;D

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 09:21:48 AM »

No doubt many people know the names of those behind the salmon farm science site as well and it's not "anonymous" either. However, by your own definition, if they are cowards, so are you.

In any case, what you choose to call them (and by extension, yourself) is entirely irrelevant to the original point. The facts that were presented to refute Morton's repeated claims are what is relevant and no amount of diversion or deflection changes that.