Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do I still believe in Dr. Morton  (Read 10925 times)

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
Re: Do I still believe in Dr. Morton
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2013, 12:12:56 AM »

...this topic is like a carousel.

but i'd sure like to be around 50 years from now when a chinook over 10 lbs is considered a tyee and pink salmon becomes the new sockeye fishery with a one per day limit.

i'd say too, unless you only consume pure organics, wild animals and don't profit from the industry including hatcheries... blow it out your ear because there's nothing worse than a self righteous hypocrite.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 06:24:55 AM by blaydRnr »

StillAqua

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2013, 08:17:42 AM »

but i'd sure like to be around 50 years from now when a chinook over 10 lbs is considered a tyee and pink salmon becomes the new sockeye fishery with a one per day limit.

You may be right. As Justice Cohen pointed out, climate change may be the biggest threat to Fraser sockeye. Changes to freshwater migration, spawning and rearing habitats coupled with the warming and acidification of the oceans, with ocean ranching from Alaska, Japan and Russia grazing down their ocean forage thrown in, may push salmon out of southern BC, Washington and Oregon altogether in the next half century.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2013, 08:23:48 AM »

You may be right. As Justice Cohen pointed out, climate change may be the biggest threat to Fraser sockeye. Changes to freshwater migration, spawning and rearing habitats coupled with the warming and acidification of the oceans, with ocean ranching from Alaska, Japan and Russia grazing down their ocean forage thrown in, may push salmon out of southern BC, Washington and Oregon altogether in the next half century.

Wouldn't the feedlots be happy if that scenario played out!  >:(
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2013, 08:47:04 AM »

Dave, I prefer to eat things as close to their natural state as possible, that goes for veggies, meat, fruit etc., I am not eating much meat at all these days, I eat fish I catch not frozen, fresh.
I stopped raising roaster Chickens immediately when I realized these were all gentically modified freaks that grow to maturity in 6 weeks, disgusting. Same goes for our layers, we raise our own from eggs from our farm, no genetically modified super layers for us.   But really who can live in this world without some hypocritical behaviour when it comes to living naturally.
But this does not mean that we have to support things that are wrong because we are not perfect.

Salmon farming as it is practised here in BC and everywhere else it has been done in the past has a terrible track record and when there are clear cover ups of enviromental disasters and outbreaks of disease, how can you stand behind the industry.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

dnibbles

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2013, 12:20:33 PM »

Dave, I prefer to eat things as close to their natural state as possible, that goes for veggies, meat, fruit etc., I am not eating much meat at all these days, I eat fish I catch not frozen, fresh.
I stopped raising roaster Chickens immediately when I realized these were all gentically modified freaks that grow to maturity in 6 weeks, disgusting. Same goes for our layers, we raise our own from eggs from our farm, no genetically modified super layers for us.   But really who can live in this world without some hypocritical behaviour when it comes to living naturally.
But this does not mean that we have to support things that are wrong because we are not perfect.

Well stated.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 03:14:11 PM by dnibbles »

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2013, 01:39:46 PM »

I stopped raising roaster Chickens immediately when I realized these were all gentically modified freaks that grow to maturity in 6 weeks, disgusting. Same goes for our layers, we raise our own from eggs from our farm, no genetically modified super layers for us.   But really who can live in this world without some hypocritical behaviour when it comes to living naturally.

Salmon farming as it is practised here in BC and everywhere else it has been done in the past has a terrible track record and when there are clear cover ups of enviromental disasters and outbreaks of disease, how can you stand behind the industry.
Well said.

gilbey

« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2013, 08:19:53 PM »

I agree

norton

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 08:05:17 PM »

Open or closed containment pens for farmed salmon, Either one will destroy the Eco system!  The fish feed they use for farmed salmon is among  other ingredients , anchovies,  herring , and other fishes. . What do whales , salmon , birds, sea lions  etc . Feed on?   If you want all these creatures to exist, say no to fish farms  of any kind!    When you go grocery shopping next time , look in the meat department , if they sell farmed salmon, WALK OUT!  If  a restaurant  has farmed salmon on the menu , WALK OUT! If you get them in the wallet , they will soon stop selling this crap!

aquapaloosa

• Old Timer
  • They don't call'em fish for nothin.
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 08:10:24 PM »

Open or closed containment pens for farmed salmon, Either one will destroy the Eco system!  The fish feed they use for farmed salmon is among  other ingredients , anchovies,  herring , and other fishes. . What do whales , salmon , birds, sea lions  etc . Feed on?   If you want all these creatures to exist, say no to fish farms  of any kind!    When you go grocery shopping next time , look in the meat department , if they sell farmed salmon, WALK OUT!  If  a restaurant  has farmed salmon on the menu , WALK OUT! If you get them in the wallet , they will soon stop selling this crap!

You must have a strong opposition to salmon ranching and in this case how can it be ok to buy a wild fish?
Chicken farm, pig farm, cow farm, fish farm.

norton

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 08:14:41 PM »

Strong opposition to fish farms . maybe you don't understand  what I said , if not read again

norton

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2013, 08:27:41 PM »

A lot of these pig farms , chicken farms , cow farms , vegetable farms are big polluters too. Just go look at the ditches that drain these fields ,  all that run off goes right into the Fraser and  off to the ocean .  I'm not against farming, of course. I'm against having too many animals on  a piece of land , that is too small.  Have you ever smelled the chemicals these vegetable farmers spread on there fields , well I have !.  All these chemicals end up in the ocean .