Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Idle No More?  (Read 25501 times)

adriaticum

• Old Timer

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Idle No More?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 08:56:06 AM »

I was hoping that this idio$ ("chief" Spense) wouldn't warrant any space on at least one forum. Unfortunately.....  

What a disgrace to Canada.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 08:58:53 AM by alwaysfishn »
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 09:05:09 AM »

Some good points to think about.

fyrslyer

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 10:14:40 AM »

The whole movement is a joke.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 11:30:16 AM »

I was hoping that this idio$ ("chief" Spense) wouldn't warrant any space on at least one forum. Unfortunately.....  

What a disgrace to Canada.

I know but this is a very important, current, issue that could really escalate quickly.
Then it will be on everyone's mind.
I am trying to understand what's going on here.
They are making it sound like there is something really going on.  :-\

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 12:02:14 PM »

The problem I have with it is it's a diversion tactic. There is apparently widespread mismanagement that is going on in these communities and as it comes to light they have come up with this latest diversion. They say the best defense is a good offense and they have obviously caught on to that.

The problem is the general public is buying it....  Imagine if a Caucasian politician diverted funds from their community to feed their personal greedy aspirations. Once the media got hold of it the politician would be tarred and feathered and run out of town. Yet we have an Indian politician who is doing that and we are finding it acceptable. Is it because she is Indian and because of the "guilt" we carry for how we treated them in the past that we allow this? Is it a political hot potato that we don't want to touch? Reminds me of the Romanian immigration issue that Canada is currently dealing with or even the food and ceremonial native fishery.

I have a problem with different standards of right and wrong for one person versus another.  We have to realize that we are being taken advantage of and put a stop to it.

End rant.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 12:15:22 PM »

I feel it is the fist nation people them selves that need to stand up in the idle no more and point their fingers at their own leaders first. That will not happen any time soon I fear.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 01:13:42 PM »

AF, I agree with everything you said.

Sometimes I wish I was FN.
I would have access to all this land and as a white guy I can only hope.

As much as I like and respect certain FN individuals I met over the years I think overall it's getting out of hand.
They keep wanting independence and government keeps giving them more autonomy.
Then they whine that government is not doing enough.
It is high time this is resolved once and for all.

bcguy

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 01:21:37 PM »

Idle No More, Meet the Norwegians

Canada's elite lack guts dealing with oil giants. First Nations might embolden all of us.

http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2013/01/10/Idle-No-More-Norway/

"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 01:37:49 PM »

Are the Norwegians not also one of the largest salmon feedlot countries in the world giving employment and income?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 02:00:49 PM »

Canada's elite lack guts dealing with oil giants. First Nations might embolden all of us.

http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2013/01/10/Idle-No-More-Norway/

I agree with a nation like Norway benefiting from their resources. However this should not be misinterpreted as a win lose for the country versus industry. The fact is, if the oil industry was not generating a profit they would not have invested the money in order to develop the oil in the first place.

I disagree with the sense of entitlement that the FN obviously have. Treaty settlements need to be finalized/imposed on them so they can be integrated into the Canadian culture and economy. Billions are paid out to FN annually to support a welfare system that sees no end. FN have become a giant lobby group. Can't blame them for asking, however I do blame our leaders for constantly caving in. Reminds me of the early days when Quebec pushed for separation and politicians of the day caved in and gave them most of what they demanded.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 03:23:13 PM »

Canada's elite lack guts dealing with oil giants.

That's silly.
They are on their payroll.

norton

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 09:43:07 PM »

It's disgusting . All  Canadians hard earned taxes being wasted like that. There has to be more accountability  from the federal gov. And First Nations,

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 09:50:07 PM »

It's going to be a hot summer and I don't mean the weather.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 09:02:41 AM »

I'm pretty sure the Conservative party are getting some chicken feed from the oil industry for pushing for the pipeline. It helps them fund the next election propaganda.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?