Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hollow bait/worm threader: Where to buy???  (Read 16085 times)

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Hollow bait/worm threader: Where to buy???
« on: January 09, 2013, 10:41:35 AM »

I was watching a fishing show the other day, think it was West Coast Sporting Journal, and they were using a hollow needle to rig up their pink rubber worms for steelhead. I inquiried about them at my local tackle shop (Fred's) and they had no idea what I was talking about. Has anyone seen or bought one? Any idea who sells them?

I currently use a long sewing style needle, but find it a pain keeping the line from pulling out of the needle while trying to thread it through the rubber worm. Perhaps I'm not doing it right?

If anyone has a tip or two on using a regular needle, or knows where to buy a hollow bait threader, please let me know. I have looked online (ebay, amazon, etc) for the hollow bait threader with no luck.

PS. I found the video on YouTube! It was BC Outdoors Sportfishing! Does anyone know why he adds wool to the hook?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNO1PkQ4jcI

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
Re: Hollow bait/worm threader: Where to buy???
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 12:18:53 PM »

Looks decent. Do you know if it's hollow? I'm looking for one like in the youtube video where you can thread the needle through the worm, then thread yout line through the needle. Doesn't say on the website or reviews if it's hollow or not...

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 01:02:04 PM »

It's described as a "stainless steel tube" so it is hollow.

How hard is it to use a needle?
Feed at least a foot of line through the eye of the needle.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 01:07:04 PM »

Also, does any one have an opinion it's "better" to fish the worm with the hook coming out a bit up from the tail, or, upside down with the hook coming out of its head? I've only ever seen and fished a rubber worm with the hook coming out a bit above the tail.

And, as I mentioned earlier, does anyone know why he adds wool to the hook? I'm guessing so it'll tangle/catch a bit in the steelheads teeth and buy you some extra time for a hook set, and/pr possibly attract them more to bit the hook as opposed to the head, or elsewhere on the worm.

Any idea why he uses white wool instead of another color? Contrast with the pink worm? I also know steelhead like pink and white?

I've never caught a steelhead on a pink worm, never had much faith in them to be honest. Maybe if I knew more about how to best fish them I would up my odds of hooking a steelie on one.

Here's the video again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNO1PkQ4jcI

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 01:16:13 PM »

It's described as a "stainless steel tube" so it is hollow.

How hard is it to use a needle?
Feed at least a foot of line through the eye of the needle.

Easywater, thanks for the info. I didn't notice it was described as a tube. I have and can use a plain old needle, but I find it to be a pain. Often the end of the needle slides around in my hand, and the folder over line ends up with a kink in it, so you have to compensate by using more leader than necessary. I noticed in the video he moistened the needle with saliva first, not a bad idea. I'll try that next time. Like I said I can make due with my old long sewing needle, but the hollow one just looks a bit more user friendly ;)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 01:17:57 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Worm-Threader-for-fisherman-live-and-plastic-worms-/140735066621?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c476b1fd

Pink plastic worms have gotton me a few steelhead. The wool might be to make it look like a wounded worm. ;D The hook coming out by the tail is probably the best position to get it in the mouth rather than the fish just getting the worm in it's mouth.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 01:21:10 PM »

All I use is a normal sewing needle... Bring the line through the eye of the needle and fold it back down around 4 inches or more, then thread the worm on and pull the worm up the line until the line comes off the needle. Hasn't ever been too hard even with longer 6 inch worms. I have seen those hollow threaders around, and they might be good for out on the river quick thread ups, but it seems a bit un-necessary to me.

As far as the wool, I have no idea why he would. I personally add a bright chartreuse plastic egg just above the hook and below the worm. My reasoning for this is almost totally for the fact that the worm won't rip when it hits a snag or a fish grabs it and I can get multiple fish on one worm. I have also found however that the green highlight is deadly sometimes, no idea why. I will often times buy green tailed worms or green headed worms as well.

Lastly, the orientation of your worm doesn't seem to matter all that much. I have caught fish both having the worm threaded head down or the normal tail down, but generally I will run my worms with the typical tail down approach. Another helpful hint is to put the needle in around an inch down from the head of the worm and come out an inch above the tail. Seems to add more movement in the water, and I feel like I've been doing better with that.

Cheers,
Dan

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 01:33:37 PM »

The wool is probably just his way of keeping the hole on the worm from sliding over the eye of the hook, which is the most common spot the worm starts to fail. I usually use a Jensen egg or a small bead if I have them.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 02:12:58 PM »

I like the jensen egg idea.

However in the video he uses a bead first to stop the hook from entering the worm, and he also adds white wool to the bait loop.

So the wool must serve some purpose other than perventing the hook from pulling inside the worm

norm_2

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 02:23:30 PM »

Here is my no cost method:  get a 3 inch paper clip, straighten it, file one end so it is sharper, knot your leader to your hook, nail knot the other end of the leader onto the paper clip, pull the ends of the leader very tight, trim off the stub end, thread it through the worm.  It works for me.

Charts

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 02:41:42 PM »

Army and Navy has the exact thing you are looking for. Bought one last year there

paulbish

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 04:32:06 PM »

Fred's a set of 2 needles on the front counted near the till. Bought a set myself.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 04:43:38 PM »

Fred's a set of 2 needles on the front counted near the till. Bought a set myself.
Bought one a few years ago from them and they worked great. The large one broke so I am glad to hear they have some again.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 06:56:29 PM »

Wow i never knew that putting a worm on a hook could be so complicated.  Just because you saw  Mike Mitchell do it does not mean its a good idea.

That's not Mike Mitchell, I think that is Rob Vodola.
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.