Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hollow bait/worm threader: Where to buy???  (Read 16088 times)

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Hollow bait/worm threader: Where to buy???
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 07:00:24 PM »

Wow i never knew that putting a worm on a hook could be so complicated.  Just because you saw  Mike Mitchell do it does not mean its a good idea.
Actually it is complicated if you havent ever done it.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2013, 08:14:11 PM »

Wow i never knew that putting a worm on a hook could be so complicated.  Just because you saw  Mike Mitchell do it does not mean its a good idea.

Uhhh...yeah...thanks there buds...perhaps one day when I'm a top-rod like yourself I won't need to ask such pedantic questions.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 10:46:24 PM »

I watched the vid after and yes its rob vidola, I just assumed it was mitchell as he is the host of bc outdoors.

Im not trying be rude but if you can use big words like pedantic you should be able to put a worm on a hook without a hollow tube. Its not rocket science.

Yes because those with the largest vocabulary catch the most fish.
Uhh.. What does pedantic mean again??

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2013, 10:49:57 PM »

I watched the vid after and yes its rob vidola, I just assumed it was mitchell as he is the host of bc outdoors.

Im not trying be rude but if you can use big words like pedantic you should be able to put a worm on a hook without a hollow tube. Its not rocket science.

Never assume... and as for the threading part some people are just bad with hand dexterity. Ever see others try to use chop sticks? I know big words too! Like steelhead and Oncorhynchus mykiss (although the same thing lol) and of course my 8 year old son knows a very big one SUPER­CALI­FRAGI­LISTIC­EXPI­ALI­DOCIOUS!!!

;D
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 04:03:16 PM »

Never assume... and as for the threading part some people are just bad with hand dexterity. Ever see others try to use chop sticks? I know big words too! Like steelhead and Oncorhynchus mykiss (although the same thing lol) and of course my 8 year old son knows a very big one SUPER­CALI­FRAGI­LISTIC­EXPI­ALI­DOCIOUS!!!

;D

Johnny Canuck, thank you! My dexterity is rather poor. When I have tried to thread a plastic worm in the past it usually didn't go so well. I'm simply looking for a tool that might make the task a little easier.

Thank you to all who had something constructive/positive to say. I only recently signed up and so far am VERY impressed with the number of guys who have given me good pointers - I've learned a LOT in less that two weeks!

PS: Without looking up the proper definition, pedantic means overly concerned with minute details. Like the "right" way to thread a rubber worm :P

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2013, 04:20:18 PM »

I have a worm threading buisness on the side, and would be more then willing to help you out at a fair price. Fire me an email anytime.
The Bigger The Better!

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

bunnta

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 03:06:39 PM »

rofl... :(

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 03:24:04 PM »

Hobby shops carry hollow brass tubing in an appropriate size.
Just cut to length and glue onto some small handle foam, wood, plastic.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 04:39:32 PM »

i was going to say what Typhoon just said. being that Rob is/was a guide im sure he custom made that worm threader. It looks pretty simple to make one  ;)

I just do the old fashioned needle trick, have it in my pack when im gear fishing so i can tie them river side. It takes about double the time that threading your leader line through a rubber egg takes, I dont pre-tie anything anymore because im not obsessed/panicked to fish every second im out there. I actually find myself sitting and just enjoying my surroundings alot more then i used to  :)

Spawn Sack - do you know how to thread your leader line through a rubber egg ??

and i dont mean with the aid of a needle, i mean doing it with just the line
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Spawn Sack

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 10:32:34 PM »

i was going to say what Typhoon just said. being that Rob is/was a guide im sure he custom made that worm threader. It looks pretty simple to make one  ;)

I just do the old fashioned needle trick, have it in my pack when im gear fishing so i can tie them river side. It takes about double the time that threading your leader line through a rubber egg takes, I dont pre-tie anything anymore because im not obsessed/panicked to fish every second im out there. I actually find myself sitting and just enjoying my surroundings alot more then i used to  :)

Spawn Sack - do you know how to thread your leader line through a rubber egg ??

and i dont mean with the aid of a needle, i mean doing it with just the line

Hook, yeah it's possible Rob made that worm threader, however thanks to some writers I've been able to hunt down a few on the net (BassPro, Ebay, etc...read back in the comments to find). IMO the one Rob has is store bought.

I do agree with you that sometimes it's nice to take 5, take a seat, and retie your gear while taking in the beauty of your natural surroundings. That's normally what I do too. However, when I'm steelheading and it's near or sometimes below freezing, I want to be mucking around with my gear as little as possible! I try to have everything as set up as possible before I leave home.

I learned a good trick from Andrew at Sea Run in Coquitlam. Instead of tying your mainline to a barrel swivel, tie it to a duo-lock swivel, then add a barrel swivel at the end and tie your leader to it. On a foam leader board have a few other rigs tied up with a barrel swivel at the end of the leaders. If you want to toss a jig/spinner/etc for a bit, your just snap off the barrel swivel with the leader attached, and snap on the new rig. I usually have 3-5 different rigs on a leader board and just unsnap and switch them in/out throughout the day. No re-tying leaders with cold hands, just snap on/off. Is a lot more work at home and I would NEVER go to this much work in the warmer months, but on a day like today when it was -3 on the river I think it's the way to go!

Oh, and as far a threading line through a rubber egg without a needle...ummm...yeah I think I've done that...pretty sure I just pinched the line close to the end and pushed it through...is there a better way?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2013, 10:05:30 AM »

yes there is a better way. cut the line at 45 degree angle and push the line itself through the egg. lightest i can make work is 10lb. Its a little tougher on eggs that arent soaking in oil (jarred ones) but still pretty easy. make sure to lubricate with salive first, makes everything easier with plastics

the trick about the snap swivel/swivel is nothing new and actually sucks compared to tying directly to the swivel. you can still use a leader board while leaving bare tag ends, stick your hook into the leader board and then wrap the line twice and cut free off the spool. this leaves you a leader around 18-24 inches depending how much tag you leave hanging out. way back in the day i used to do the snap swivel/swivel thing and since switching to just a swivel i have more sensitivity to small taps from fish and have caught loads of fishing that never even took the float down (roe fishing) 

your probably right that he bought it.
Check out our new blog

Johnny Canuck

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2013, 11:41:33 AM »

There's an even easier way to thread a rubber egg on a leader line. Hold the egg in your left hand, hold your hook and leader in your right, take the hook push it through the egg and continue sliding the egg up the hook until it's on the leader above the hook. TA DA like magic lol  :P
Common sense is so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Bushpig

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, 12:19:44 PM »

I use those hollow worm threaders and they are the cats @#$. Little tricky to get the worm completly straight, but sometimes it makes a little more action when its not straight. I know they are available up here(Kitimat/Terrace) anywere from 4.99-6.99 + tax I believe(last time I bought one). I did see some up here in canadian tire as well, may want to look there. The canadian tire ones are made by berkley and have a wooden handle.  I dont like the canadian tire one though as I had to modify it to make it a complete hollow tube, some drilling required. Dont know what it would cost to have one shipped down to you, (probably a stamp) but if you are interested im sure something could be worked out.   

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 12:29:02 PM »

Johnny - I do it that way if my egg gets ripped off by a fish but doing that leaves a larger hole and the egg will slide along your leader line, not freely but it will move even if you dont notice it. I fish eggs with a touch of wool in the loop, pushing the hook through the egg and over top the wool works well but like i said it can slide up the line. I have reeled in and found my egg way up by my swivel, i have also had them ripped off way easier then when you thread just the line through due to the larger damaged area from the hook going through it.

GLX's plastic eggs are alot tougher than jarred ones and work just as well. I havent noticed the scented ones work any better than unscented. infact my dad and i both fished orange egg/white wool combo. him a GLX egg and me a Jensen scented, he landed two fish (both wild) to my one missed hook set.
Check out our new blog