Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Mono Lines?  (Read 4058 times)

Speyfitter

New Mono Lines?
« on: December 15, 2012, 11:42:14 AM »

So my brother wants to respool his baitcast reel with some new line and I've always been a Maxima Ultragreen guy myself but I did make the mistake of suggesting that there were some other lines out there that were apparently pretty good that I had heard about and my brother being a bit of a rebel asked me to find him something OTHER than Maxima to respool his reel with and he's open to try it.  I know there are some P-line followers and I've heard the new Berkley Armor Coated is apparently pretty good - what have you found?

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
Re: New Mono Lines?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 12:37:27 PM »

Big Game for me

Fitzz

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 01:51:16 PM »

Maxima that's it

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 02:06:51 PM »

big game for me.

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 02:12:53 PM »

the only other line i use is other than Maxima i maxima lol i realy real like the chameon line

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 04:36:37 PM »

Berkeley big game for mainline. I've used this for about 4 years now and found it to be most durable line.
Berkeley trilene XL for leaders.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 04:40:52 PM by adriaticum »

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 09:47:19 PM »

Sorry to rain down on ur parade Speyfitter , but seeing we are on the subject on Monofilament . Is there any personal preferences to what line is better for winter steelheading ? .
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 07:38:40 AM »

Maxima.Tried most others always come back.And no I am not sponsored. ;D
Riverman

oddjob

• woof woof
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 08:51:24 AM »

Can anyone tell me who sells Siglun line ?This line is thinner in diamiter than other lines and stronger . This line is made is made in japan .

steely02

• Quinn
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 09:59:09 AM »

I buy my siglon f off of a website called centerpin angling. They ship it out really quick to. I think they are out of Toronto usually only takes a few days. Haven't been able to find any shops that carry it. It is by far my favorite line.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 12:28:35 PM »

step above Siglon F is the FF (Fine Float). I use it exclusively and it is suited very well for pin fishing.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 01:41:41 PM »

--I guess I would have more questions than answers... do you just want a line with similar properties as the current line you are using or do you want a specialty line?
--What # test ultragreen are you using now and what do you like or not like about it.
--That is what do you want different and what characteristics to you want to keep?:  diameter, stiffness, abrasion resistance, stretch, high vis, coloured brown blue red etc.

--I think often people use ultra green as a default... and a very good one... that is if you are going to wander the river fish different situations and don't want to change your line as is common with flyfishers then a general purpose default like ultra green is a good choice.
--If you fish one area or target areas that are similar then you may want to use a specialty line... the farther you get from general purpose though the less situations you will be able to use the set up without changing.

--When boat fishing.. run&gun style I take several rod,reel and line combinations set up and ready to go.
--It is more difficult to change up on a river you at least need to take more than one reel or spool that can be relatively easy to change.. without fishing time.

--Depending on the rod used... line with more stretch can be used to soften the rod conversely less stretch can reduce or enhance hook up depending on the experience of the person casting and the river structure.

--I believe these multiple options are the reason so many stick with a proven general purpose line such as the ultra green.

--Like choosing a race car making the wrong specialty line choice can ruin your day or make you a winner. The best drag car is not going to win on a road coarse.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 02:52:13 PM »

skaha, you are a complicated man.
Or woman.

;D

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 06:37:16 PM »

Berkley Trilene XL has been great on the level wind so far.
I also spooled the first 2/3 of the reel with fly line backing, and then only did the top 1/3 with mono. Kinda looks cool too  :D

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 07:59:50 PM »

Check out P Line CXX moss green mono.
I have been using this on my bait casters and spinning reels for the past few seasons with good success.