Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A look at 2012's Lower Mainland fisheries - Feedbacks and ideas  (Read 25190 times)

joshhowat

Re: A look at 2012's Lower Mainland fisheries - Feedbacks and ideas
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2012, 04:45:20 PM »

I always let my wife know where I'm fishing!!! Very important to let people know where they can find your crippled body, before its a corpse. As for wadding around in the winter by yourself, it's risky. I last year fell in wadding too deep in the canyon. In the heart of winter, snow on the ground and all. I went at least 50 feet down river and my belt saved my my friend!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 09:02:53 AM by joshhowat »
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

fishingwithegg2

« Reply #76 on: November 23, 2012, 05:22:21 PM »

Here's something that MIGHT be feasible:

I think Trout Lake at John Hendry Park should be stocked with rainbows again. It is the only body of water inside the City of Vancouver which has great shore access and is big enough for fishing.
C&R only since the water is so polluted any fish in there couldn't and shouldn't be retained anyhow. LOL ;D

On another note, I've always wondered why they don't stock the Brunette River with more sea-run cutties. Checked the stocking reports but there isn't any recent info on that. The streamkeepers probably won't mind a helping hand reviving the fish populations there.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 05:33:01 PM by fishingwithegg2 »

liketofish

• Old Timer
« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2012, 01:36:53 AM »

Can you please elaborate?
I see no danger in fishing alone, especially not in the winter when the bears are hibernating.
What danger are you referring to?

If you are fishing only the lower river runs, where there are lots of people fishing and with easy access, then there is no danger much, except when someone close by put a knife on you when your line crossed his line when he is fighting a fish causing him to lose the fish.  ;)   ;D

But if you like to bush walk, climbing up and down slippery slopes or dykes to fish where not many others are willing to go, there are some risks. Sometimes, those areas can remain shady from the sun for winter and the rocks around the river or on the dykes are very slippery in frosty condition. One wrong step, you can fall among rocks and who know what injury will result from each fall. Case in point. I told my friend I hooked a 15lber in an area I often fished alone. It requires 20 minutes walk on slippery rocks. Very few soul fish the spot due to difficulty of access. It has a decent run there which had produced quite a few fish for me through out the years. But I have fished it for 20 years. So I know what to watch for and how to negotiate my way in among those rocks. My friend who used to fish lower river decided to try solo on this spot too, as he heard of my success there and I had taken him there once before. The next time I saw him though, he had a a broken nose, which he told me was so badly hurt and bleeding heavily when he fell, that he had to rush to hospital to get stitches. Lucky that he didn't knock himself out when he fell on those rocks. This is the kind of danger some lone steelheaders will have to risk if they fish away from the popular runs and pools.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 12:18:32 AM by liketofish »

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2012, 08:13:40 PM »

Really, Milo?  You don't think you're increasing your risk factor by fishing alone?!? 

Fishing alone is always more dangerous.  Whether it's breaking an ankle and having to get out alone, or slipping in the water and not having someone there to help drag you out, or any other of the multitude of scenarios that become more dangerous when you're solo.

Not sure if I'm just missing your sarcasm somehow.

Ha,ha if you know Milo, you know that even bears are affraid of him.  ;D ;D

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #79 on: November 24, 2012, 08:14:16 PM »

Here is an idea:

Establish a summer run of steelhead on the Vedder.

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #80 on: November 24, 2012, 08:38:35 PM »

ALL hatchery coho should be clipped !
we should all volunteer at the local hatcheries to help clip fish !

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2012, 08:41:24 PM »

ALL hatchery coho should be clipped !
we should all volunteer at the local hatcheries to help clip fish !

All coho salmon raised at our hatcheries are clipped.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=31292.0

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2012, 11:47:13 PM »

all the hatchery coho that make it to the hatchery after the quota is met should be transported back to the canal so the meat fishermen can get their .....meat

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #83 on: November 25, 2012, 05:42:00 AM »

all the hatchery coho that make it to the hatchery after the quota is met should be transported back to the canal so the meat fishermen can get their .....meat
:D :D too funny

waterbearer

« Reply #84 on: November 25, 2012, 08:17:44 AM »

The lower mainland  fisheries is truly a beautiful thing to experience as much as some of us complain about certain issues,we should be  proud of  what we have  and do our best to take care of our rivers,lakes and oceans .In last 6 yrs i have lived in 3 other cities ,2 different countries and  nothing  comes close to the lower mainland . Right now im living in london and i need to book an appointment and pay 22- 200 pounds everytime i go fishing ,then when i get there im fishing on nice manicured lawns with a ghilles that tells you where the fish hold and nets your catch. So please take care of our fishery ,pick up loose line, put your cans and snack bags in the bin and dont pick up ur dog poop just to just throw the bag in the river ,lake or bush,treat fellow  anglers with respect  nothing hard about saying morning or hi back to someone  cause you never know if one day you might need a helping hand on the river .Cheers and tight lines

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #85 on: November 25, 2012, 09:03:08 AM »

All coho salmon raised at our hatcheries are clipped.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=31292.0

tynehead hatchery does not clip there fish !

Dryfly22

« Reply #86 on: November 25, 2012, 09:31:30 AM »

The Coquitlam river missed clipping the Coho a couple years ago.  That run is coming back next year or the following.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #87 on: November 25, 2012, 12:32:35 PM »

The lower mainland  fisheries is truly a beautiful thing to experience as much as some of us complain about certain issues,we should be  proud of  what we have  and do our best to take care of our rivers,lakes and oceans .In last 6 yrs i have lived in 3 other cities ,2 different countries and  nothing  comes close to the lower mainland . Right now im living in london and i need to book an appointment and pay 22- 200 pounds everytime i go fishing ,then when i get there im fishing on nice manicured lawns with a ghilles that tells you where the fish hold and nets your catch. So please take care of our fishery ,pick up loose line, put your cans and snack bags in the bin and dont pick up ur dog poop just to just throw the bag in the river ,lake or bush,treat fellow  anglers with respect  nothing hard about saying morning or hi back to someone  cause you never know if one day you might need a helping hand on the river .Cheers and tight lines

Amen!

colin6101

« Reply #88 on: November 25, 2012, 12:42:14 PM »

Where are you getting your information about the tynehead hatchery from RJS? I have caught numerous clipped fish in their systems.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2012, 12:53:16 PM »

What Ive seen and learned while clipping at several hatcheries:
The ones that do clip, its done by volunteers and staff. Not all fish get done depending on manpower and other factors.

What I learned this fall from a hatchery worker from out of town:
From now on they have been mandated to clip every fish.

So many coho jacks this year, indicating higher returns for next year? plus its a pink year.
I am looking forward~