Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A look at 2012's Lower Mainland fisheries - Feedbacks and ideas  (Read 24950 times)

jimmywits

Re: A look at 2012's Lower Mainland fisheries - Feedbacks and ideas
« Reply #105 on: January 15, 2013, 05:37:04 PM »

It seems that official people, who are educated enough, don't agree.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #106 on: January 15, 2013, 08:11:10 PM »

Dan, you should consider attending one of the SFAC meetings (either Lower Mainland or Fraser Valley) and becoming a member who represents a particular group (eg. SSBC). Actually this invitation goes out to anyone who falls in Dan's age group. You should come for two reasons, one is to be more familiar with how fisheries are managed in this region, two is to provide new and refreshing ideas, possibly leadership which are slowly disappearing right now. At the last meeting, we struggled to find a new chairperson. Beside Mike D. on the forum, I am the youngest one who attends these meetings. The rest are 50+. Something to consider and feel free to contact me if you want more information.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #107 on: January 15, 2013, 09:09:20 PM »

I was going to qualify my statement with "except hatchery fish." But then I thought, we would be extremely close to where we are now. Now, I am not nearly educated enough in this field to say, do this, and everything will be better, but my inner hippie says, leave the damn fish in the water. Trick em, play with them a bit, then send them back on their way. Now, without the people filling freezers to pay for licenses, obviously many hatcheries would not exist (if not all, again, not nearly educated enough!)

But I know enforcement would be easy. Fish out of water? Take his gear and leave him with a fine!

To jimmy. Especially salt water. Leave the damn marine life alone.

I know it wont happen, but you betcha, if there was a full C&R reg for region 2, or BC, I would not be upset in the least.

Oh and Rod, those pictures are gross. Dont be gross. /has never eaten farmed Salmon, and hasnt had a Filet O "Fish" in a decade.

I don't agree with 100% catch and release.

The reason most people fish is they want to eat quality food and know where the fish comes from. The fun is a bonus.
For some of us it's an addiction (passion), call it what you will.
You would kill the fishing industry fairly quickly.
I do like to eat fish but some people don't.
If you take the right of people to feed themselves you are taking a basic human right.
Some would defend that at any cost.
Now you see why that wouldn't work.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2013, 06:35:55 AM »

I don't know anyone who fishes to eat and the "fun" is a bonus.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
more that fair table fare
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2013, 08:15:59 AM »

I fish for fun and the food is a bonus.
Kokanee dollies trout coho spring jacks pinks all entertain my plate, and my palate lol.

mko72

« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2013, 11:20:48 AM »

There's a lot of "more conservation" suggestions and I agree whole heartedly.  People who openly flaunt the law make my blood boil.  I mentioned the lack of enforcement to my girlfriend and she jokingly suggested we apply a variation of the "Tipping Point" theory.  Every angler flagrantly breaks the rules for one season thereby forcing the hand of the government to ramp up enforcement.  So we laughed.  But have heart, my buddy's dad is a retired RCMP officer and he and his bros are getting into enforcement with DFO etc. so expect to see better enforcement all around.  Apparently there will also be some gun carrying in the near future.

On another note and I'm just throwing this out there.  What if instead of undercover CO's the make their busts public?  I know the other snaggers and poachers will walk away before more than 1 ticket is issued but those guys talk to each other, who tell more people and then more people and if this happens on an ongoing basis said section of the river will get a reputation for heavy enforcement which would deter future poaching.  If this kind of thing happens enough the COs will get a reputation for being "everywhere" on every river which should reduce poaching.  I call it The Batman Principle  ;D

I also like the idea of having to wear your license.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2013, 03:45:28 PM »

The reason people started fishing in the first place is for food.
Catch and Release is a fairly new concept in the grand scheme of things.

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2013, 04:15:32 PM »

Dan, you should consider attending one of the SFAC meetings (either Lower Mainland or Fraser Valley) and becoming a member who represents a particular group (eg. SSBC). Actually this invitation goes out to anyone who falls in Dan's age group. You should come for two reasons, one is to be more familiar with how fisheries are managed in this region, two is to provide new and refreshing ideas, possibly leadership which are slowly disappearing right now. At the last meeting, we struggled to find a new chairperson. Beside Mike D. on the forum, I am the youngest one who attends these meetings. The rest are 50+. Something to consider and feel free to contact me if you want more information.

Do you have a link to when these meetings are?
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2013, 04:24:05 PM »

No I don't. The meetings are announced by email to the ones who sit on the committee, usually a month prior to the meeting dates. There are two local SFAC meetings per year, one in spring (usually March or April), one in fall (late October/early November). These are DFO meetings so they primarily deal with salmon fisheries with occasional focuses on steelhead, trout and sturgeon if a provincial biologist attends and has something on the meeting agenda. You can attend the meeting as a representative from a group (Steelhead Society, Fraser Valley Salmon Society, BCFDF, Angling Guide Association, etc...) or as an angler at large.

Here's some background information.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/sfab-ccps-eng.htm

For freshwater fisheries in Region 2 (trout, steelhead, kokanee, sturgeon, etc), you can communicate any concerns to me (this is why I put up the thread originally) as I am a public advisor for the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC. We hold meetings once a year to go over some of your concerns or address them by email throughout the year if necessary.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2013, 05:50:38 PM »

X2