Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunting Season So far?  (Read 20352 times)

Humpy

Hunting Season So far?
« on: November 11, 2012, 06:11:05 PM »

Its been a good hunting season this year for me. We got 4 mule bucks and a some grouse. Filled up the freezer. The bucks ranged from a spike to a four-pointer.  The bucks were harvested in region 3 and 5. Lets the waterfowl hunting begin! Hows your hunting season been so far? Thanks
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

kid fisherman

Re: Hunting Season So far?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 06:37:05 PM »

I have been having a great waterfowl season. Been getting lots of fat lards, I will post picks tommorow wen I get back from my hunt.

Humpy

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 08:23:49 PM »

Where do you hunt for waterfowl, glad you're having a good season so far!

kid fisherman

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 08:43:53 PM »

The valley, corn fields have been my friend !

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 09:51:12 PM »

3 grouse, 1 mule a 2 point, 6 mallards and 2 Canadas.

Will add to that total tomorrow. ;D

kid fisherman

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 06:45:38 AM »

Good to here you have done good Chris.

Humpy

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 03:16:48 PM »

Wow, nice job Chris. This is my first year waterfowl hunting. I have order a dozen canada goose decoys and a dozen duck decoys, is that enough? I'm hunting in Abbotsford. Glad to hear your having a good season.!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2012, 04:23:21 PM »

What a tremendous morning flight of ducks and geese I saw on the hunt this frosty morning.

Set out a few geese decoys at first light and took 3 mallards on three shots, two drakes and a hen. I then passed up on some other birds as I now waited for the geese I knew would be coming, shortly. Some mallards were dropping right into the decoys. Then the geese started coming in, wave on wave. Two flocks came right into my spread and I dropped 1 in each of the flocks that committed and missed one other bird, in the first flock.

Even thought the limit is 10 geese what I feel I could have taken if I wished I was satisfied with the 5 birds, the 2 fat geese and 3 ducks I had cleanly dropped. I then just emptied the shells from the scatter gun and just watched the numerous flocks settle into the corn to feed, chatting happily to each other. Even as I walked out to the Leaf Mobile with the heavy load of birds and decoys in the nap sack, on my back a flock just sat there as I walked by them. Many other flocks were dropping out of the morning blue sky to join the couple hundred birds now feeding on the corn cobs.

I guess a few years ago I would have stayed to take a limit but these days a few birds for the table is all I take, leave the birds for another day or someone else.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 04:24:41 PM »

Wow, nice job Chris. This is my first year waterfowl hunting. I have order a dozen canada goose decoys and a dozen duck decoys, is that enough? I'm hunting in Abbotsford. Glad to hear your having a good season.!
Sure a robo duck is very effective too.

kid fisherman

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 04:41:35 PM »

Well done Chris!
Humpy I find that small spreds work better the bigger ones. When I duck hunt I use between 4 and 12 ducks, just make sure you set up the spred properly. When I hunt I try to set up on the "x" so I can use less decoys and little calling! Best of luck!

Humpy

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 10:41:30 PM »

Do you hunt on your own private land or do you hunt on public land?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 08:02:44 AM »

Do you hunt on your own private land or do you hunt on public land?
I get permission to where I hunt.

kid fisherman

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 06:38:42 PM »

Privet land is what I hunt on. Looking for land is not hard just got to put your time in.

oscar

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 07:56:14 PM »

Just got back from 10 days at the end of Adams Lake (3-42/3-37).Had moose/deer draws.Very limited sign of any moose activity.One cow sighting.... that's it.Local trapper atributes lack of moose to the wolves.(???)

We did manage to make a stellar deer trip of it, with 9 deer total.5 does and 4 bucks.The first buck was a monster 4pt mule, followed by a smaller 4 pt mule (mine), then came a spike whitetail, followed by a monster "hybrid". This buck appeared at first glance to be a trophy whitey, but looking alittle closer it had many mule dear characteristics.(Large muley ears, BIG body, and a bit of black on the tip of the tail.)The rack was all whitetail. Buddy brought it to Ganders for a quote on getting it mounted, where it was confirmed to be a relatively rare trophy "hybrid" - in getting done now.

Humpy

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 08:54:42 PM »

Chris, I have 12 ducks decoys and should I get the Mojo full size robo duck decoys or the baby one? and is one enough? I had a good day today too, 3 ducks down and we missed many. :)