Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunting Season So far?  (Read 20368 times)

Carich980

Re: Hunting Season So far?
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2012, 02:53:27 AM »

Chris, I have 12 ducks decoys and should I get the Mojo full size robo duck decoys or the baby one? and is one enough? I had a good day today too, 3 ducks down and we missed many. :)

I use one of the Full size older model Mojo with Metal wings. I usually use it along side some stading decoys. Seems to work good for me most of the time with a bit of calling.

kid fisherman

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2012, 07:48:29 AM »

Humpy just get the full sized robo and if you hunting on land don't woory about the decoys. The robo itself will work for the next little while. Come January the ducks will start to get smart and it will not work as well.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 08:27:41 AM »

Favorite duck hunts for me would include very very cold temps.
Find the open water find the ducks.
Weve even smashed ice on a puddle in the middle of corn fields and once they see open water they lock up and drop for it.
Drainage ditches are also money for being last to freeze.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 08:43:20 AM »

Chris, I have 12 ducks decoys and should I get the Mojo full size robo duck decoys or the baby one? and is one enough? I had a good day today too, 3 ducks down and we missed many. :)
I use a full size and have taken limits in the past just using a robo. I find it brings the ducks into good range a lot of the time and my average has improved greatly the last few years. This year I have taken 9 birds on 11 or 12 shots. ;D

Humpy

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2012, 12:52:30 PM »

So is one enough?
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2012, 01:16:42 PM »

So is one enough?
As kid fisherman says it does especially at the early part of the season but it never hurts to take some other bodies along too

Humpy

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 07:32:03 AM »

Ok, Thanks Chris.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

kid fisherman

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 04:48:16 PM »

Some pics from the last few weeks, sorry for the table shots but i forgot my camera at home.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 09:05:57 PM »

Nice Northern by the look of the bright orange feet on the drake.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2012, 09:30:36 PM »

kid fisherman

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 06:46:18 AM »

Looks like there are more greenheads this year. Can"t wait till satererday to see of I can get a couple!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 11:53:14 AM »

Looks like there are more greenheads this year. Can"t wait till satererday to see of I can get a couple!
Yes the Valley is full of them.

Toprod

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2012, 11:39:52 AM »

A region 3, 3 point mulie that went 190 lbs on the hook at the butchers, all dressed. 6 ruffed grouse, 4 blues on the same 4 day trip.

Been out for waterfowl twice in the fraser valley where I have permission to hunt private fields. Took 8 malllards, 4 widgeon, and a teal between the two trips. Also got a lesser canada goose, who came in solo and almost landed on the robo duck!

Plucked my first ducks this year as opposed to just cutting the breasts out. The results are well worth it, on the advice of a freind we roasted a fat mallard on the george foreman rottisserie that turned out fantastic.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2012, 03:23:54 PM »

A region 3, 3 point mulie that went 190 lbs on the hook at the butchers, all dressed. 6 ruffed grouse, 4 blues on the same 4 day trip.

Been out for waterfowl twice in the fraser valley where I have permission to hunt private fields. Took 8 malllards, 4 widgeon, and a teal between the two trips. Also got a lesser canada goose, who came in solo and almost landed on the robo duck!

Plucked my first ducks this year as opposed to just cutting the breasts out. The results are well worth it, on the advice of a freind we roasted a fat mallard on the george foreman rottisserie that turned out fantastic.
Yes I always dry pick and then roast the whole bird, no waste that way. I, after the first meal pick off all the meat, you will be surprised how much you get. I have another meal from that and then freeze the remainder in the gravy. Also donot forget to melt some butter in a saucepan,at a low heat, then squeeze in some lemon (from a real lemon) stir in with the butter and then pour this over the slices of your bird and the gravy. We will be doing that tonight, with a goose. ;D ;D

PS nice work on the deer and the birds, living off the land as we say. ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2012, 04:47:05 PM »

A region 3, 3 point mulie that went 190 lbs on the hook at the butchers.....

Wow, That's a nice big bodied mulie!
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[