Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Choosing a gun  (Read 9000 times)

Polaris

Choosing a gun
« on: October 09, 2012, 07:50:50 PM »

Choosing a gun for personal protection in the bush and to cover the broadest range of hunting options.  My research shows that a shotgun would meet both of these requirements.  For protection from a bear or a pack of wolves a magazine with a capacity for several shells.  By hunting, I mean hunting for food, alone, without a dog.  Thus my interest is in that which is most common and easily attainable in BC's lower mainland and the interior.  Among animals, I believe that would be deer (elk, moose) and among birds grouse (ptarmigan, etc).  With these goals, I have been considering two pump action shotguns: Remington 870 Tactical (6 shot with a mag extension) and Mossberg 590 (9 shot).  Mossberg is heavier but has 50% more shots in the mag and its longer barrel probably offers better accuracy.  Please feel free to comment on any of my choices or assumptions and/or offer your own hardware advice.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
Re: Choosing a gun
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 08:18:54 PM »

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 08:23:37 PM by adriaticum »

kid fisherman

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 08:30:48 PM »

I don't think you will be hunting elk with your shotgun! For birds the 870 will do fine but to hunt big game you will need a rifle. For the rifle it will be up to you to pick what type of game you will hunt and what caliber will work for you.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 10:49:58 PM »

In my opinion there is no one tool for all jobs.
For a pack gun both you've selected would do the job just fine. The Remington 870 is probably the most accessorized shotgun on the market.
You could buy a small 18" barrel and a pistol grip, and a 26-28" rifled barrel and shoot sabot slugs with fairy decent accuracy with the rear stock.
If you're going to buy just one barrel, a rifled slug in a smooth bore would be fairly accurate to 75 yards. Remember to get an inter-changeable choke system if going this way.
A 12g 3" slug going 1500fps or more will drop a deer in it's place don't kid yourself, the problem is accuracy...
Yes the rifle would be a better tool for the job.

I own the mossberg and with the pistol grip and 18" barrel when slung over my shoulder, hides below my shoulder and above my waist line making it nice to carry through thick brush. Holding 8 + 1 in the pipe it's a great gun built like a tank.
When I'm using it for protection I like to load it buckshot slug buckshot slug etc...
Hope this helps a bit

SteelheadAdict

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 03:51:47 PM »

The remington 870 wingmaster is a great shotgun i have 2 both in 12 one with a shorter barel for bear perection when when hiking or camping or just as a tent gun and the other one witha 36 inch barel for birds
for a rifle i i have a ruger 270 and a remington 7mm best guns u can ever own

Polaris

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 07:32:37 PM »

I realize all guns have their strong points and limitations and that no one is ideal for all jobs.  But if the end of the world was coming and you were to walk out into the wild never to return, would you be carrying both a 12 gauge (even with an 18" barrel and a pistol grip) and a 30 cal - with the extra weight of a 2nd gun and its ammo - or would you just take one (in which case it would have to be a compromise btw protection and hunting)?  And if your choice would be just one gun - which one?

Regarding a shorty 12gauge, that was my 1st thought but in local gun shops I was actively discouraged from going that route for the reason of accuracy.  I also think that if faced with a wolf pack that is hungrier than you and with even less to lose, not only do you want every shot to count but after going through your 9, a full length Mossberg (that is "built like a tank") could be a useful club.  That's my theory but I have no practical experience.  What do you think?

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 08:42:54 PM »

A defense style shotgun with short barrel almost always comes with a fixed cylinder bore choke, which is the most spread out pattern possible for shot. That being said, the more "open" choke the more accurate a rifled slug will shoot.
I've shot skeet with my mossberg just to see how it does and I didnt do to bad.
If it's just protection you want in the bush the the defender style shotgun is what you want.
Pistol grip is not for everyone but it makes the gun a heck of alot smaller.
If you want to save a little more money check out the maverick 88 which is basically the mossbergs little brother.
The boys at Stillwater sell alot of them and have never had one come back they say.
If I could only have 2 guns it would be a 12g with Changable chokes and my 7mm

Polaris

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 08:47:59 PM »

Noahs Arc:

So are you saying that you would go into the bush with these two guns at the same time?

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 09:29:21 PM »

Nope not a chance, too much weight.
If I were to carry a gun for protection, the 12g
If I were going hunting I'd have my 7mm

Carich980

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 11:29:46 AM »

I just take my Rifle & have never had a problem with 4 bullets fully loaded. Usually my .300 Weatherby. But on occasion i use my .270 winchester. I've Encountered Cougars, Aggressive moose, wolves & bears. Carrying an extra Defense shotgun is just added weight and Highly unlikely you will get it out and/or loaded on target before the attack comes.

I don't own a Defense Shotgun at all, but the only time i could see one for use would be if I was working in Forestry, Hiking or fishing Remote. Id be more inclined to take my 30-30 with some heavy grain silvertips for maximum Damage. It weighs less is more accurate. Id rather start taking shots at a charging animal at 50+ yards then waiting for him to get to an effective 25 yards with the shotgun & I think I'm being generous giving it that much credit.

If your worried about tracking through a scope just look along side the barrel or underneath the scope, If the animal is that close your likely to hit whatever your pointing at. The only other would be a handgun but thats not legal here in Canada so a rifle it is. If you want a higher capacity of ammunition I doubt you can beat the tried and true 30-30.

Lots of guys from back in the day shot a .250 Savage in Grizzly country. More important to make the first shot count then shoot 9 shots in the wrong place.

Oh and if you shoot 1 wolf out of a pack the rest will run away... Trust me.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 11:32:47 AM by Carich980 »

kid fisherman

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 05:17:50 PM »

X..2 for the 270 it's the only rifle I have every owned

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 09:26:35 PM »

I don't own a Defense Shotgun at all, but the only time i could see one for use would be if I was working in Forestry, Hiking or fishing Remote. Id be more inclined to take my 30-30 with some heavy grain silvertips for maximum Damage. It weighs less is more accurate. Id rather start taking shots at a charging animal at 50+ yards then waiting for him to get to an effective 25 yards with the shotgun & I think I'm being generous giving it that much

What are you doing "defending" yourself from an animal that's 50+ yards away? I don't consider any animal at 50+ yards a threat all.
So now were just basically walking around blowing the shoulder out of every animal that we see?
If I stumble into a threatening situation on a trail I'd much rather have buck shot when the s***ts dribbling down my leg.
I agree a lever is a good compromise for hunting defense but for strictly defense when hiking, I would take the much shorter shotty.

Carich980

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 07:59:59 PM »

What are you doing "defending" yourself from an animal that's 50+ yards away? I don't consider any animal at 50+ yards a threat all.
So now were just basically walking around blowing the shoulder out of every animal that we see?
If I stumble into a threatening situation on a trail I'd much rather have buck shot when the s***ts dribbling down my leg.
I agree a lever is a good compromise for hunting defense but for strictly defense when hiking, I would take the much shorter shotty.

Where did I say I was blowing the shoulder out of every animal I see? You do whatever makes you feel better. I bet you have a hard time encountering many threatening situations from inside the cab of your truck. Goodluck getting your shotgun out on buckshot fired in the few secs it takes for that animal to have your my friend. 50 yards is nothing for animal to close distance.

I speak from personal experience but you do whatever you like.... lol!

Majority of the time Im walking in the woods with 4 arrows, You do whatever you thnk is the safest option, Any animal out there can cover 50 yards in a few seconds. A grizzly or other animals can be coming in from beyond that, A simple youtube seatrch will confirm that.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 08:28:12 PM »

Yes, a bow is the perfect tool for self defense...
I resent the fact that you call me a road hunter when you have no idea who you're talking to.
I'm not making any claims about my skill but I am no road hunter sir.

crazypop

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 04:13:49 PM »

Pretty sure a bear charging at 50 yards is going to be a threat...
I for one would like to end that charge beforfe I am getting thrown around looking for my 12ga.