Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting the game on!  (Read 10355 times)

Floon

• It's all in the reflexes!!
    • Lloydpaskall.com
Getting the game on!
« on: May 18, 2004, 08:43:57 PM »

Well for those of you who have been hibernating or have been shut in for the last few months, spring is here and it's just about summer temperature wise. Everything is speeding up so expect early hatches of everything. I was on the water Sunday and saw micro caddis coming off and that means if the weather continues in this trend then the gloves are off and we better get our collective rears shifting gears if you take my drift. 8)
The damsels were coming off, there were a few dragons buzzing around, though I failed to see any mayfly activity. Chironomids were sporadic but it is ever the way when the sun is out with those little guys, them prefering cloudy conditions after initial spring warming.
What I guess I'm trying to say is GET OUT THERE BEFORE IT"S TOO LATE!!!!
The time is NOW!!!
Don't let the summer doldrums catch you with your knickers down this year, because it's gonna happen fast. And besides the looming fire ban that is a commin' is going to cut our fine season short this year. (Again!)
Now go, do what you will, BUT, don't say I didn't warn you. ;D

Floon*, the don't shoot me I'm only the messenger! :D
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 08:45:06 PM by Floonster »
Some people think I'm insane. Some other people think I am not right in the head.
Then again some people drive in the fast lane under the speed limit with their blinkers on........
Perhaps these are one and the same people???
You be the judge.

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
Re:Getting the game on!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 09:10:45 PM »

cool man, Floons bug report ;D one day Im gonna try fly fishing.Anyone wanna buy 350 spoons? :D

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 09:19:23 PM »

Hey Floon it's never too late when the lakes get too warm the streams turn on. I had the best Bow fishing in I have seen in three years last year on the Thompson while every one was being chased of the lakes. 4 & 5 lb Bows on #4 Stimulators every evening in the middle of August. My buddies at the Bridge AKA Steelhead town tell me Sept in even better.

Learn your fish, and their seasons. Early winter; Spring & Coho. Winter; Steelhead and Sea Cutts in the Estuary. Early spring; Steelhead and Cutts. Spring; Bows in the Lakes. Summer; Kokanee in the lakes and Bows in the streams. Fall; Bows in the lakes and Salmon in the river. That's just a quick rundown, there is a lot more to it than that. Do your homework and think out of the box and you will find that here in the lower mainland there is no end to fishing season. When one speicies tappers off change gears and go after another.  
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Floon

• Lloydpaskall.com
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 10:12:40 PM »

There is always somewhere to be fishing no matter what the time of year! ;) I was speaking of people expecting hatches at _______ date only to show up to find it happened before they arrived. I know the sedges are a big draw and I wanted to make the point to be earlier in your plans for them.
Besides once one unlocks the secrets of summer fishing for trout they can really cash in on the largest trout of the season!
I will write a post dedicated just for this in a day or 2. I have tied into my largest trout on the hottest days of the year just by thinking a little differently and bugeting my water time properly with an eye to using things like bloom, and warm water to my advantage.
Stay tuned......... :)
Some people think I'm insane. Some other people think I am not right in the head.
Then again some people drive in the fast lane under the speed limit with their blinkers on........
You be the judge.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2004, 06:56:07 PM »

Riight on Floon, have had the experince myself. Sorry for all the questions, I have just met to many elitists.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Dynamite kid

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2004, 09:35:20 PM »

Have you ever tried to switch your rod over to the dry line and re-tie a fly on when there's a SEDGE hatch coming off,now that takes nerves of steel. ;D

Floon

• Lloydpaskall.com
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004, 07:52:12 AM »

That's EXACTLY why I have 2 rods strung up at all times Dynamite!!! :)
You be the judge.

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2004, 07:53:37 AM »

That's why I always pack three rods in my boat Dynamite. Floating with a strike indicator that is always sitting in the water for chronomid, floating for casting, and a sink tip line standing by just in case... :)
"One man of courage makes a majority"

Floon

• Lloydpaskall.com
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2004, 08:07:56 PM »

Never an "elitist" my friend!!!
I just figure I can NOT catch fish with a flyrod as well as anything else! ;)
You be the judge.