Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: SILK flylines  (Read 9889 times)

otto

SILK flylines
« on: May 24, 2004, 09:44:40 PM »

ok now opening a can of worms......but does any shop in vancouver sell silk flylines???  ??? ???

otto

Re:SILK flylines
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2004, 09:50:20 PM »

and yes i am a LUDITTE sometimes. i just like the old stuff better when it comes to fishing. i like hanging up my silk fly lines to dry every time i go fishing and i dont mind rewaxing them every few hours or so......i also like handmade bamboo rods (how the heck am i going to afford one tho?) i use an old wicker creel to keep my fish cool, and an old leather fly wallet from 1902 (used to be my gramps, then my dad had it (he kept pens and pencils in it)..... now that i have said that i am a luditte sometimes, i also embrace technology: i currently have a overclocked AMD ATHLON 2500XP processor, running at 2200MHZ

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2004, 11:24:52 PM »

go to jaymers :o :o

otto

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2004, 11:54:41 PM »

Hi Deadhead.....where is Jaymers?? (thanks in advance) 8)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 08:43:58 PM »

I don't know of anybody here who stocks them. From what I read in a story in Fly Fisherman Mag. a few years ago, there are only two silk line manufacturers in the world today; both in Europe. I'm sure most fly shops could help you out. Insist on silk though because they will most likely try to sell you something else, and if they tell you no one makes them anymore; leave. From what I have read they are pricey but worth every penny, and cast like a dream. Silk lines are thiner than poly or vinal line and therefore have less wind resistance. The author wrote that they were as slick as silk when powered through a modern graffite rod. I'm tempted to try one myself.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

otto

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 11:27:23 PM »

yea i want the  silk fly line made by Thebault. they have a nice double taper trout line (15 meters) for about 80 US $... pricey yes, but it is a extremley well made fly line, and it comes with a tub of line dressing (red mucilin) and free shipping worldwide.  i think the place to order from is in the UK somewhere.

I have friends in UK who's dad fishes with a silk line. he has had the same one that his dad had since th e late 1900's. still casts beautifully, and is still strong as ever. he treats the line with red mucilin before fishing, and dries the line off the reel every day after fishing.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004, 09:50:15 PM »

Wow since that long. Now that's quality. I have two Condex reels from 1940 that are still like new. Quality and care that's the ticket.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

otto

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2004, 09:57:50 PM »

yea, the flyline has been trimmed a few times and is now only about 10 meters long. other than tthat, there is nothing wrong with it. not bad for a 100 year old silk line (1902 i think). he still has the original wax paper pouch the line came in, and the original (empty) tin of wax dressing.  8)