Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how come the mouth of the seymour doesn't get fished much?  (Read 5687 times)

Shawn6o4

how come the mouth of the seymour doesn't get fished much?
« on: October 03, 2012, 12:09:11 PM »

just wondering how come I never see anyone fishing the mouth of the Seymour by the train bridge? is there just not as many salmon heading that way? or is it the wrong time for people to fish there.

thanks for any info

Shawn.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: how come the mouth of the seymour doesn't get fished much?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 01:16:29 PM »

That's because there is no talk about it on fishing forums such as this.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 03:50:54 PM »

last time i was there, seals were chasing coho up and down the river and spooked them so much they had lock jaw.

mko72

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 03:53:42 PM »

From what I understand there are fish, but they are few and far between and the river is much wider making them harder to find. 

Nucks

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 04:29:28 PM »

Guess you guys didn't read Fish Assassin's post   :-X

capman

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 04:46:58 PM »

That's because there is no talk about it on fishing forums such as this.

X2

BCLAX

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 05:50:06 PM »

Not worth your time, only heard of people coming home empty handed

Shawn6o4

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 06:34:28 PM »

yeah I stoped by 2 day's ago and watched a seal chase a coho along the shore, was a decent sized fish too. never tried fishing there myself and have never seen anyone fish there so was just curios

Pin-nook

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 08:34:14 AM »

Due to limited river access most people don't waste their time there but I can tell you that if you know where to go during certain times coho fishing can be much better than the Crapilano because the fish are more aggressive.

A funny story... I remember many years ago(mid 90s) I worked with a guy that fished it before work sometimes timing it so that he was there during incoming tide and he could pick off incoming steelhead as they came in. There was no retention on steelhead then and 1 morning he came into work and we had all assumed he was at the Seymour that morning only this time he came in with a garbage bag and about a 17lbs hatchery buck that he wanted to dress at work. He wouldn't talk about it only that he just felt like killing something and we all ragged on him for the whole week after that calling him names like "The Violator", "Unabiding Citizen", Poacher"... just some jabs here and there because we couldn't prove if he really killed it on the Seymour.

A few days later we got into work and he had taped up a picture of him holding the same fish standing in the river with Grantham Bridge in the back ground, people that fished that river know there used to be a killer slick there. Most of the guys at the shop were in disbelief  that he actually killed a steelhead on the Seymour after he would always preach to use about proper handling of fish and how certain systems need to be protected. Anyway, we all told him that he was a hypocrite and that he shouldn't have done what he did and actually another coworker whose father owned a tackle shop at the time was none too happy about it.

A few days later the guy's buddy who normally comes to visit us at work sees the picture on the wall and says, "I can't believe you kept this picture up the whole week!" and they both had a chuckle. The buddy tells us that it was caught on the Vedder the day before and that they were planning to prank a fishing buddy of theirs but tested it on us. They pointed out the fact that the fish was already gutted and looked kinda stiff in the picture, also the coloring wasn't a fresh kill.

They got us good but we still called him Poacher after that!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 08:37:46 AM by Pin-nook »

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 09:51:10 PM »

Not much going at the Seymour.  Better off on the flows that get the bulk of the stocking.  Long, lonely days on that river chasing very few fish and having to deal with fiesty land owners and finding places to park without getting ticketed, tows and flat tires.

Dogbreath

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 08:59:57 PM »

A friend of mine lived in a  house by the Grantham Bridge for  years-he said if you hit it right there were fish to be had but since he was working he didn't have much opportunity to learn it really well.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 09:04:24 PM »

Why fish Seymour for very few fish, when you have the Cap (one of the more abundant and longest lasting) coho runs next door.

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 09:14:40 PM »

Why fish the cap when you can drive an extra 40 minutes to the vedder!  It's way lots better than the cap don't ya know.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 10:26:27 AM »

Why fish the cap when you can drive an extra 40 minutes to the vedder!  It's way lots better than the cap don't ya know.

This is true.
But Cap coho start early so you have a couple of months of fishing before the Whack fishing starts.

hookR

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 12:35:21 AM »

I fish the cap because its 15minutes away. The seymour is 5mins away but the cap is more abundant in fish. I would much rather fish the vedder but if the cap has water I would save the gas and fish locally.