Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bar fishing  (Read 4634 times)

top fuel

bar fishing
« on: August 17, 2012, 10:23:58 PM »

i know this is not a good question but, are there any bars accessable without a boat would like to give a try. and how much weght would be recomended

odesseus

Re: bar fishing
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 11:13:24 AM »

Tried a little bar fishing this morning on a few upper Fraser bars - you need some pretty big weight to keep your rig where it should stay. Can be done though!

alan701

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 07:21:23 PM »

I heard bars like peg leg are accessible so almost everything should be accesible. You need really heavy weight though. I was by tidal fraser and 5 oz wasn't enough...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 10:02:48 PM by alan701 »

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 07:34:54 PM »

16oz should be fine
Take the T out of Morton.

LP89CG

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 11:27:13 PM »

I heard bars like peg leg are accessible so almost everything should be accesible. You need really heavy weight though. I was by tidal fraser and 5 oz wasn't enough...

I'll be checking out peg leg sometime this week. Gonna try huckin a bar rig out on my sturgeon set up...

I might drop a bunch n line on the beach and then toss it out by hand. Im thinking I could throw further than I could cast on my stub 6'6 rod.

Tips?

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 11:30:43 PM »

I've heard that the upper arm fraser has less current. Should a 4-6oz. Weight be enough?
Someone was here

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 11:52:27 PM »

i know this is not a good question but, are there any bars accessable without a boat would like to give a try. and how much weght would be recomended
There is a bar just east of the Queensbouougrh Bridge. Go on google maps, find the Queensborough Bridge, click satellite, and look east-southeast of the bridge and you will see the bar. There is a path to access it on fairweather lane.
Someone was here

nonsufficientfunds

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 03:20:20 AM »

That bar down in Port Royal east of the QB bridge is nice and peaceful. I've had a fair number of hit and misses. However the current is real strong there and I always have a problem with snags due to all the broken trees stuck in that area.  >:(

hookR

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 03:44:36 AM »

There is a bar by the pattullo bridge. Last time I was there was a couple weeks ago and some guys were hooking jacks. You dont need much weight there. a 4 ounce will do but when the tide is going out you might need a 6 or 8.
You can access it going down old yale road and park across from the Brownsville RV park.

gcal

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 11:32:26 PM »

That's a pretty good idea!   You'd be more accurate also, esp. if you aren't familiar with casting large weights.   I wonder if anyone has tried this.  I'm sure it will work - just make sure your rod is solidly secured first.

I'll be checking out peg leg sometime this week. Gonna try huckin a bar rig out on my sturgeon set up...

I might drop a bunch n line on the beach and then toss it out by hand. Im thinking I could throw further than I could cast on my stub 6'6 rod.

Tips?

LP89CG

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 08:40:47 PM »

What's a good way to secure my rod... do any fraser valley shops sell rod holders? I guess I better goole this.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 09:01:31 PM »

Just get a Piece of PVC pipe or any tube wider then the cork, a length of rebar and a couple hose clamps.
Make sure whatever you use leave a couple inches above the tube to pound into the gravel

Smokefish

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 09:22:26 PM »

Love to bar fish just sit back and wait for that bell ding ding

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 09:22:38 PM »

My buddy just made me one by welding a piece of pipe to a long piece of angle iron. Looking forward to trying it out

LP89CG

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 09:27:31 PM »

Just get a Piece of PVC pipe or any tube wider then the cork, a length of rebar and a couple hose clamps.
Make sure whatever you use leave a couple inches above the tube to pound into the gravel

I think im gonna try this with a piece of angled steel.

Hope everything works fine using my 6'6 sturgeon rod.   :-[