Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where to go for a day trip from surrey  (Read 6173 times)

ray

• I'm a llama!
Where to go for a day trip from surrey
« on: August 14, 2012, 01:55:29 PM »

My buddy and i have the day off tomorrow and were looking for somewher to go fish and can take the kids. We want someplace that when they get tired of fishing they can swim.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: Where to go for a day trip from surrey
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 02:06:56 PM »

You can try Rolley lake in East Maple Ridge as well as Whonnock lake which is also in East Maple Ridge. Rolley lake has rainbow trout but can be hard to catch in the heat of summer. Whonnock lake also has rainbow but are just as hard to catch but it has crappy which are easy to catch when it is hot out. Both lakes have a beach for swimming but Whonnock lake has a play ground for the kids.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

ray

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 02:30:14 PM »

I've never fished for crappie so what would be the best lures to use. I will be taking a fly and a spinning rod with me to so what flies and line should i use. Also i don't have a boat so what is the shore access like and where would the best area to go. I want to give the kids their best chance to get a fish. 

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 02:38:15 PM »

I would fish at Whonnock lake if you want the kids a chance at catching any fish. I woul fish the the dock by the community centre and just use worms under a float. As for fly fishing, use a dry line and fish leech's under an indicator.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 03:13:41 PM »

Another idea.

You could also try to hit a salt water beach that has a pier.  Like around Barnett, White Rock, Crescent Beach, Ambleside etc.  Worm on a hook and drop her to the bottom (can also look at crabbing, check the regs) you will catch something. The kids can have a safe swim at any of those places.

1son

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 08:52:19 PM »

I would say whonnock is your best bet for guaranteed fish there's cutties/rainbow/crappie you can fish off the 2 docks or rent a boat for the day for real cheap and kids and go swimming if they like hope that helps 

Shmoke Shaman

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 09:15:00 PM »

their are two docks located on the southern side of whonnock lake, which dock were you referring to Geff_T?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 10:43:07 PM »

their are two docks located on the southern side of whonnock lake, which dock were you referring to Geff_T?

I was refering to the dock that is by the community hall.

Sam6140

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 11:42:39 PM »

Buntzen Lake is probably your best and nearest choice.  Also maybe Alouette Lake.   To those who suggested Whonnock, keep in mind that the O.P. asked for somewhere to swim also. Whonnock = nasty swamp.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 02:34:59 PM »

Do NOT go to Alouette!!! Full of water skiers and the boat launch is a zoo!!!!

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 03:27:51 PM »

To those who suggested Whonnock, keep in mind that the O.P. asked for somewhere to swim also. Whonnock = nasty swamp.

I didn't find Whonnock Lake a nasty swamp.   A peat bog perhaps and the water is stained by tannins.

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 07:51:12 PM »

He's not launching a boat/fishing from a boat. 

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 08:11:41 PM »

He's not launching a boat/fishing from a boat. 

I live down the road from the lake. Its a zoo and tons of people will be swimming. You wont catch much from shore anyways on that lake.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 11:29:57 AM »

Belcarra Regional Park would be my recommendation. The kids can catch plenty of shiner perch from the pier and if you fish on the bottom, you may catch the odd flounder or sole. You can also crab from the pier. If they get tired, they can swim at the nearby beaches. The area is also set up for you to have a picnic or BBQ, perfect for families.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/region_two/belcarra_regional_park.html

Shmoke Shaman

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 07:20:37 PM »

Hey that sounds like a awesome place to fish and relax. I am confused on where the pier is. Can someone share some details on the location and how to get to this pier