Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vacuum Sealers  (Read 6220 times)

Driller

• Keeping it real.
Vacuum Sealers
« on: August 08, 2012, 10:12:37 AM »

Any ideas on where to get a good vacuum sealer?  I bought a unit at London Drugs made by Food Saver.  Like Neal Young says "Brought it home and found it was a Piece of Crap!"
Owned it for a few years and have got my money out of it, but it's slow, and the strip that melts the bag to seal it, has never worked well, so I always double seal it.  Super pain in the bass.

I'd like to buy a new one.  Considering purchasing a commercial grade sealer.

Over
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
Re: Vacuum Sealers
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:03:51 AM »

Costco has a good one for ~$150.

We've owned it for a number of months and -- so far -- are very pleased with the results. It was purchased at the recommendation of a work friend.
A rig out of water catches no fish.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 11:09:40 AM »

I have gone through two of the Food Savers. I find they struggle to suck any air out. I'd consider a commercial unit if they weren't so damn expensive.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 11:57:54 AM »

Food Saver is a piece of crap. I had trouble giving mine away. My buddy has the Cabela one and he likes it. Maybe it's time to make the switch

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 01:08:25 PM »

Try pushing down on the lid while it seals / sucks. My foodsaver  worked for awhile then stopped sealing properly now I just lean on it and it works great! Least give it a shot before you move on

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 01:47:32 PM »

For every opinion, there is an equal and opposite opinion.

I am very happy with my Foodsaver. :) Have it it for several years without any problems.

Kenwee

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 08:41:21 PM »

buy the commercial grade product from Cabelas. It works well and worth the money, I have had mine for 3 years now and no problems so far.Used it to vac seal all my fish, fresh as well as smoked ones. It is worth the money.

zabber

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 09:14:49 PM »

Hmm... The one we bought at Costco was a Food Saver V3835. Working well, for now :-[

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 09:21:20 PM »

buy the commercial grade product from Cabelas. It works well and worth the money, I have had mine for 3 years now and no problems so far.Used it to vac seal all my fish, fresh as well as smoked ones. It is worth the money.

Agree totally!

I've had the Cabela equivalent http://www.vacsealers.com/Order.html for almost 3 years. The insides of the Cabela and Weston are identical as Weston makes them for Cabela's. You save about $80 on the Weston brand (maybe more depending on where you buy it).

The biggest advantage (besides being built like a horse) is the wide sealer band which is about 4 times the width of the foodsavers. I had a foodsaver before this one for about 7 years and my biggest complaint was that the seals of the bags often failed. I haven't had any of the seals fail on the new vacuum sealer.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 11:59:09 PM »

Just curious, why is a company located in Victoria BC selling their products in US funds ?

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 07:36:50 AM »

I've had my foodsaver for about 3 years now - I found that the sealing element gets too hot when I'm sealing the third package in a row - this leads to the package sticking to the rubber on the lid.  If you pull it off quickly, this leads to the micro-tears in the seal - thus rendering your seal useless.  If you try to vacuum another package right away - the sealing element softens the plastic and creates a partial seal, thus making it difficult to vaccum the package.

I now wipe the sealing element with a cold wet cloth after each use and find that I am not having the same difficulties I use too.  Stating that - I still double seal at both ends- second seal is inside the first in case the first seal has a 'leak'.  ;)
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 07:43:32 AM »

There's an outfit here on the mainland that one can get the Weston products as well - a little bit more - but save on the shipping costs.

https://www.wellscan.ca/Vacuum_Sealers/
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 08:53:21 AM »

Just curious, why is a company located in Victoria BC selling their products in US funds ?

I've noticed many online suppliers who sell in US dollars....  however most of them seem to give the option of looking at US or Cdn dollars.

I ordered mine from a company in the US and had it shipped to Package Express in Sumas. It was free shipping and costs $4.00 for the drop ship service. The other advantage is you seldom pay Provincial taxes as they often wave you through.

One other thing I like about the Weston is you can easily buy repair parts and make the repairs yourself.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

zabber

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 10:38:52 PM »

Looks like WS also sells those Westons as well: http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/food-food-preparation/jerky-sausage-making/pro-series-vacuum-sealer/prod21903.html

Cheers & let us know what you decide to do!