Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vacuum Sealers  (Read 6227 times)

Oilcruzer

Re: Vacuum Sealers
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 07:27:35 AM »

I've had my foodsaver for about 3 years now - I found that the sealing element gets too hot when I'm sealing the third package in a row - this leads to the package sticking to the rubber on the lid.  If you pull it off quickly, this leads to the micro-tears in the seal - thus rendering your seal useless.  If you try to vacuum another package right away - the sealing element softens the plastic and creates a partial seal, thus making it difficult to vaccum the package.

I now wipe the sealing element with a cold wet cloth after each use and find that I am not having the same difficulties I use too.  Stating that - I still double seal at both ends- second seal is inside the first in case the first seal has a 'leak'.  ;)

Good advice.  I prep the one end on a number of bags.  4 usually.  Then wash and pat dry meat between each vacuum.  Even do this with stuff I rewrap from Costco or Safeway or the butcher.  Washing your meat before freezing or cooking is another topic...

Key item is the final seal needs be cleaned, then resealed sometimes as well.

FoodSaver works well but it's not a commercial unit.  Don't expect to run a dozen seals back to back.  It's an amateur athlete and needs more recovery time.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Vacuum Sealers
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 08:58:18 AM »

It's an amateur athlete and needs more recovery time.

LOL  I like how you put it in an Olympic context.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[