Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2012 floss-out  (Read 69662 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2012 floss-out
« Reply #195 on: September 15, 2012, 04:42:07 PM »

Horrible. Is that the same sturgeon Rodney? I hope that sturge spooled all his line out or took the rod right out of his hands and into the river. Poor choice of a fishing technique.

They're two different fish, caught on different days.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #196 on: September 15, 2012, 06:57:03 PM »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #197 on: September 15, 2012, 10:07:52 PM »

A nice relaxing day on the river :)

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #198 on: September 15, 2012, 10:45:47 PM »

A nice relaxing day on the river :)

Sorry, but it's hard to tell if your just joking or truly being an idiot, please fill us in.

anyways,

Horrible sight to see, but I guess one could show the DFO what the snaggers can do with a poor method of what they call fishing. ::)

Bandit420

« Reply #199 on: September 16, 2012, 10:14:53 AM »

They're two different fish, caught on different days.

Very unfortunate. DFO advices to not snag to protect late run Sockeye yet sturgeon are far more endangered year round. It kust truly shows you that flossing is nothing but illegally snagging fish but the wool is the loop hole... >:(
If you're not fishing, you're not living!

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #200 on: September 16, 2012, 12:47:37 PM »

Horrible sight to see
Agreed.

I guess one could show the DFO what the snaggers can do with a poor method of what they call fishing. ::)
While they're at it, perhaps showing them the vids of sturgeon newbs cutting their line on big or foul hooked sturgeon, and sharing the stories of fish pulled up with sturgeon rods + reels still attached would help. Not sure that pounds of weight + yards of line hanging from their mouth makes for happy, healthy fish.

It just truly shows you that flossing is nothing but illegally snagging fish but the wool is the loop hole... >:(
All it shows is that two sturgeon have been snagged at some point in time. Most experienced bottom bouncers will likely attest that hooking fish in such a manner, whilst bottom bouncing, is a rare occurance; much more common is in the side of the head or inside the mouth -- especially if one doesn't "set" the hook if there is no hit. I'm not saying that there aren't more sturgeon swimming around out there with 3/0 hooks in their backs, just that there probably aren't that many. Is one too many? Depends on who you ask. Would be interesting to hear from a seasoned sturgeon angler as to what % of the fish they bring to hand are wounded in such a manner; haven't read many such reports (and there is a long sturg thread on another board).

FYI B420:
"Your basic fishing licence entitles you to angle ... fish (with or without a rod) with one fishing line to which only one hook, one artificial lure OR one artificial fly is attached." (2011-2013 Synopsis, p. 9). In other words, wool's not a loophole; one can fish with a bare hook if he/she so chooses.

Tight lines m8
A rig out of water catches no fish.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #201 on: September 16, 2012, 12:53:15 PM »

All it shows...

Oh yeah, that's all.... lol... I'm glad I didn't make a big deal out of nothing.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #202 on: September 16, 2012, 03:28:24 PM »

Rod(ney),

I hope you don't think that's what I was saying. I have no issue w/ the pics you posted; as I said, I agree that they're a horrific sight. In fact, I thank you for posting them up; they've caused me to further reconsider my angling practices.

Big deal out of nothing? Certainly not; it's a big (your words, not mine) deal out of something. But should it be (a big deal, that is)? The question isn't rhetorical; I really don't know. Again, what percentage of landed sturgeon have a 12 foot leader hanging from their backs, and what is the likelihood that such a fish develops an infection and dies as a result of such a wound? That is what will determine how serious of an issue this is. There is no doubt that "bottom bouncing"/dredging/flossing the Fraser is an unselective fishing method but -- again -- I think that anecdotal evidence will probably suggest that sturgeon are infrequently foul hooked by this practice.

Perhaps a more efficient use of resources would be to inform sturgeon anglers about proper gear/technique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJUIFow5gQ0&feature=player_embedded ?? Again, a serious question; I'm interested in knowing who/what does more damage to this endangered fish stock. Also, are sturgeon hardier than most fish or something? I've heard some can survive out of water for 24hours and that 2 hour photo ops aren't unheard of (though not recommended), so I'm guessing the constant, lactic-acid producing struggles and release back into tepid water isn't really as much of a concern as it is with other fish...
A rig out of water catches no fish.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #203 on: September 16, 2012, 08:37:27 PM »

Once a few years ago a sturgeon was caught and looked like a Christmas tree. :o

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #204 on: September 16, 2012, 09:57:17 PM »

Im surprised liketofish and Athezone arent screaming Photoshopped!!! ;D ;D ;D
Take the T out of Morton.

Athezone

• Old Timer
« Reply #205 on: September 16, 2012, 10:21:37 PM »

Hey Bassonator you don't know me so don't ever try to infer how I would feel about Any subject. I think those pictures are horrible and I am sure anyone else on this site would feel the same.

KevinR

« Reply #206 on: September 17, 2012, 08:32:33 PM »

Maybe river fishing should be banned all together... an incident like this could have just as well happened casting spinners deep into the river also

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #207 on: September 17, 2012, 09:07:00 PM »

Actually, in clear rivers that have sturgeon, like the Columbia, hooking a sturgeon on a spinner, wedding band, jig etc is very very common while fishing for walleye. Ive hooked a few in the last 3 or 4 years. It seems like every year you hook a few. But they bite instead of getting snagged. Kinda gets your heart pumping when a 3 foot sturgeon is chasing your spinner.