Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2012 floss-out  (Read 70710 times)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: 2012 floss-out
« Reply #165 on: August 21, 2012, 09:18:59 AM »

If the water was clear do you think the flossers would be chucking their rigs just anywhere or would they be getting their long leaders in position to "line" one ?? ::)

I agree, but that in my opinion would be intentional snagging.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #166 on: August 21, 2012, 09:27:04 AM »

Actually that's your interpretation of the regulation which says: "snagging (foul hooking)… hooking a fish in any other part of its body other than
the mouth."

It does not say the fish must be hooked "inside" the mouth. While lure fishing in a lake or river the fish will often get hooked outside the mouth as it strikes the lure and the hook becomes lodged outside the mouth...  While trolling bait in the ocean, it is common to use a trailing hook which is often lodged outside the mouth.

My interpretation and I believe the CO's interpretation is, as long as the hook is anywhere around the mouth, it is legal...

So a hook say ...in the eye ...is close enough to the mouth???
Take the T out of Morton.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #167 on: August 21, 2012, 10:02:29 AM »

I agree, but that in my opinion would be intentional snagging.

Oh okay, so "hoping" to snag one, opposed to, "intentionally" snag one, is different how??

You've got my head spinning now AF.  ;D ::)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #168 on: August 21, 2012, 10:18:04 AM »

Oh okay, so "hoping" to snag one, opposed to, "intentionally" snag one, is different how??

You've got my head spinning now AF.  ;D ::)

Hey I agree if the definition was clear, we wouldn't be interpreting things differently.....
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #169 on: August 21, 2012, 12:17:46 PM »

Actually that's your interpretation of the regulation which says: "snagging (foul hooking)… hooking a fish in any other part of its body other than
the mouth."

My interpretation and I believe the CO's interpretation is, as long as the hook is anywhere around the mouth, it is legal...
I'd have to talk to a CO about this. Last time I checked, when a baby has food on its face it's missed its mouth ;) Your mouth, or pie hole, is that cavity in your head that you put food and drink into. It contains your tongue, teeth, and salivary glands, which help you digest that food and drink. While salmon don't have lips, I don't think it takes a biologist to point out where the mouth ends and the "face" begins; the average 7 year old could probably do that. The regs say fish must be hooked in the mouth, not around the mouth in order to be considered "fair."

But, yes, this is obviously my interpretation. Would be interested to learn what a CO has to say on the matter.

While lure fishing in a lake or river the fish will often get hooked outside the mouth as it strikes the lure and the hook becomes lodged outside the mouth...
I have caught 50+ fish trolling and/or casting lures. Never once was the fish hooked outside the mouth. An additional 50+ rainbows on flies have also been hooked inside the mouth. While not large numbers, experience tells me that such hook-ups are a rare occurance. Would I keep a fish that was hooked, for example, by the nostril? I'd probably toss it back, figuring I had accidently towed my lure into it.

While trolling bait in the ocean, it is common to use a trailing hook which is often lodged outside the mouth.
There was an article/editorial this week, in The Province, about raising BCs posted speed limits. The author wrote that, "[if everyone is doing it, even the cops, and it's relatively safe then why not?]" Just because everyone is doing it/it isn't being enforced doesn't mean you're not breaking the law. Again, I do realize this is just my interpretation/opinion; not saying I'm right, but I'm yet to be convinced otherwise.

Cheers
A rig out of water catches no fish.

fishyfish

« Reply #170 on: August 21, 2012, 09:39:42 PM »

Zabber this is what you reported on your second to last attempt to catch fish by not BB.

"Actually, I went up last Sunday and think I may have had a bite. The guy I was fishing with swears he had one on for a few seconds, on his second cast, but drag was loose and it shook the hook. Both could have been snags but he's seasoned so I believe him. There were sockeye moving in to spawn so may have been a cuttie vs. a spring??...

You said you were going I think on the 20th. How did you do?

fishyfish

« Reply #171 on: August 21, 2012, 10:25:06 PM »

Zabber. I just finished looking through the freshwater guide and I believe they have changed the wording to "mouth" instead of" in or around the mouth" In the mouth is  much better language and is the way it should read. I was always surprised in previous editions of the guide when they said " in or around the mouth".  In previous guides does anybody else remember reading "in and around the mouth"? Did you notice a change (to the guide)?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 10:30:20 PM by fishyfish »

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #172 on: August 22, 2012, 06:48:43 AM »

Same old ,same old.
The donkeys that make the rules dont have the guts to ban flossing and the fisherman fight amongst themselves.
Fishing out on the river used to be a great time until this snagging BS showed up.

Morty

« Reply #173 on: August 22, 2012, 08:10:49 AM »

The first principle of selective fishing is to avoid catching non-targeted
stocks.
 This means that anglers should use methods that do not catch sockeye.

The following fishing methods enable anglers to catch chinook and chum salmon
and avoid sockeye salmon interceptions:

Bar Fishing
Trolling Spoons at Creek mouths
Float Fishing
Pulling Plugs
Fly Fishing

I see that the recommendations mentioned above are not only part of a DFO "Notice" but they are now also part of the Salmon Suppliment to the provincial Regulations.
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #174 on: August 22, 2012, 04:51:26 PM »

Same old ,same old.
The donkeys that make the rules dont have the guts to ban flossing and the fisherman fight amongst themselves.
Fishing out on the river used to be a great time until this snagging BS showed up.
There is still hope it will change especially if people continue after being asked by FOC not too. I believe fly overs are taking place now, counting rods. Those that continue are just shooting us all in the foot but like you said it used to be great out there in the "old days" and we had the best of it.

Worse thing I every did being part of getting the all salmon species open many years ago. Sorry to you for spoiling it for you. ::) >:( :( :'(

Rodney, Mike, and Nick and I hashed over this topic last night for a while while on a fishing trip. ;)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 04:53:36 PM by chris gadsden »

LP89CG

« Reply #175 on: August 22, 2012, 06:35:21 PM »

It's one thing to bb when sox are open... But once its been reqested not to and sox are closed... just stay home and save it.

I threw my sturgeon rod out there with a bar rig on it out at PEG leg today. I was amazed at how many people were bouncing. I wasnt sure if it was ignorance or if they were just ignoring the DFO.

No luck on the bar rig tho. Casting wasn't as bad as I thought, but I was using a 18oz weight and even that was select to settle down. If anything I't looking forward to the Coho's to start up the river...Picked myself up a Centerpin setup.

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #176 on: August 22, 2012, 07:01:42 PM »

dfo has left a grey area on this subject. of course you are going to get people out there continuing to bb. their asking you not to instead of telling you not to. anytime you have a situation where people can choose, some will make the wrong choice.

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #177 on: August 23, 2012, 12:36:57 AM »

You said you were going I think on the 20th. How did you do?

Went today instead, as I wanted to get in a leg workout on Monday. Caught a couple of fish. Better than Scale at this time of year.

dfo has left a grey area on this subject. of course you are going to get people out there continuing to bb. their asking you not to instead of telling you not to. anytime you have a situation where people can choose, some will make the wrong choice.

They're advising, not asking ;) In others words, "keep it up and there won't be anymore chinook openings when sox are closed."

A rig out of water catches no fish.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #178 on: August 25, 2012, 04:03:03 AM »

Disappointed to still see the long lines of long liners at the popular spots around Hope on my return from Gold Country yesterday, I guess there is no hope for recreational fisheries that so many will not comply with the FOC request to fish selectively at this time. I thought a lot more would heed this voluntarily but I guess greed supersedes common sense.

I will hazard to guess we will see a Fraser River salmon closure, if not this year in the coming seasons, what a shame.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #179 on: August 25, 2012, 11:26:58 AM »

Rumor has it that Peg Leg is side by side with "liners" now too. ::)

It truly is a shame that people just don't care. :-[