Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Activists, fish farm end talks  (Read 4850 times)

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
Activists, fish farm end talks
« on: July 19, 2012, 07:52:26 PM »

Activists, fish farm end talks
May 27, 2012 - 4:11am By KEVEN DREWS The Canadian Press Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on linkedinMore Sharing Services
Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on linkedinMore Sharing Services0   
   Select ratingCancel ratingPoorOkayGoodGreatAwesome
     .Share on emailShare on print.
VANCOUVER — A unique relationship meant to reduce conflict between environmental groups and British Columbia’s largest salmon farming company has fallen apart.

The Coastal Alliance for Aquaculture Reform and Marine Harvest Canada confirmed Saturday that the project, known as the Framework for Dialogue, is officially over.

It appears the two sides could not agree on research related to sea lice and closed-containment farming. What remains unclear now is whether more conflict is coming to the often testy debate over salmon farming.

“The industry growing salmon in British Columbia is continuing to improve,” said Clare Backman, a spokesman for Marine Harvest Canada.

“Along the road to improvement and reducing impacts, folks can find things to take issue with, and they’re going to continue to do that. In terms of more conflict, I can’t say. It would depend on issues that people choose to take issue with.”

When it was signed Jan. 12, 2006, the Framework for Dialogue included nine environmental organizations and First Nations, as well as Marine Harvest.

Participants agreed to focus on the industry’s environmental, social and economic factors, reduce conflict and change practices when information showed there was an impact on the environment and wild salmon.

But in recent years the membership dropped to just four environmental groups, including the David Suzuki Foundation, Georgia Strait Alliance, Living Oceans Society, T. Buck Suzuki Foundation, as well as the company.

Backman said the company was informed of the coalition’s decision by letter last week.

But one environmental group said Marine Harvest had ceased to be an active member before the letter was sent.

“What we’ve found over time is they have pulled out of any significant joint work that could actually have any positive results,” said Ruby Berry, a spokeswoman for the Georgia Strait Alliance.

Berry pointed to research on sea lice, saying the coalition was still awaiting results on tests. A report contrasting the economics of raising salmon in closed-containment systems versus open-net farms in the ocean was only three-quarters complete, she added.

The company also cancelled a pilot project to build a closed-containment system, she said.

The decision to end the agreement has been in the works for some time. “We get tarred a lot for not caring about the economics of communities and the value of industry in our neighbourhoods and in the region. The attempt to collaborate with Marine Harvest was an attempt to reform the industry rather than to just throw it out because we recognize the value to the economy.”

another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

Schenley

Re: Activists, fish farm end talks
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 03:28:00 PM »

“The industry growing salmon in British Columbia is continuing to improve,” said Clare Backman, a spokesman for Marine Harvest Canada.

Oh my--- an admission from the farm industry that they are not perfect....... 8)

But they were telling us for years "dont worry-- be happy!"

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 04:13:17 PM »

Interesting read on the creation of this alliance....  http://www.farmedanddangerous.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/CCARMHPR.pdf

"The Framework agreement promotes collaborative research on the extent of sea lice impacts on wild salmon, industry-NGO exploration of the current viability of closed tank systems, and, as an interim measure to reduce impacts of net-cage farming on wild salmon, explores establishing migratory corridors for wild juvenile salmon.

As a first step towards addressing concerns, Marine Harvest will immediately move adult salmon from its farm at Glacier Bay in the Broughton Archipelago to another site more removed from a major migratory route of emerging juvenile salmon. While this action alone will not create a low-risk migratory route this spring (2006) it and other actions, including increased frequency of lice monitoring, may reduce the impacts of the fish farms on out-migrating wild salmon."

Contrary to what we've heard many times from the feedlot crew, it was the anti-feedlot activists that caused Mainstream to take any action to protect the migrating salmon smolts.

Unfortunately it was a small bit of lip service that was initially offered up. For them to back out of the coalition now, indicates that they weren't serious about doing anything long term to protect the wild salmon. It's too bad....   :(  

But we already knew that about them...
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 05:28:59 PM »

Hey TB, thought you were done with this stuff ;D
Whatever, your 2 month old story woke up af.  Poor bugger has been taking an on line beating lately; maybe we should give him this one?

Or not ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 06:02:50 PM »

Hey TB, thought you were done with this stuff ;D
Whatever, your 2 month old story woke up af.  Poor bugger has been taking an on line beating lately; maybe we should give him this one?

Or not ;D

Thought I'd add some value to the thread before AnnieP comes along and talks about everything except the topic.   ;D

Did you have a good holiday? I'm going to say we missed you, even if you may not believe me.....   ;)
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 11:12:49 PM »

Be nice now.

You don't want her to give you another spanking...........................

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 06:55:37 AM »

I'm actually more concerned about having to hear another rendition of her fish feedlot song......

La La  La La La

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 08:15:45 AM »

Pfft, she'll trump anything you have to say, and can back it up with proof too, get over yourself AF, you got owned big time and everyone knows it, and for some reason or another I kinda think most on here had fun watching it happen too  ;D

Good luck in your future battle/debates with Annie, your gonna need er pard.  ;)

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 09:42:04 AM »

It's interesting how the feedlot advocates attitudes are all about appearing to "win" a discussion....   ???

Reminds me of the CFIA group's email...... "It is clear that we are turning the PR tide to our favour…one battle is won, now we have to nail the surveillance piece, and we will win the war "

They proved that they are more concerned about "winning" rather than doing the right thing.....   :(

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 10:37:26 AM »

If your not trying to win a debate and change peoples perspective on things why even bother trying  ???

Your a strange dude  ???

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 10:44:43 AM »

Your a strange dude  ???

Wow that certainly helped your argument.....  :)

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 11:29:56 AM »

Berry pointed to research on sea lice, saying the coalition was still awaiting results on tests. A report contrasting the economics of raising salmon in closed-containment systems versus open-net farms in the ocean was only three-quarters complete, she added.

Funny....the public is still awaiting the release of Ms Morton's latest lab results.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 01:27:09 PM »

Wow that certainly helped your argument.....  :)

Well if your trying to get a point across to people and settle for anything less than your objective, your basically doing it for nothing.

That to me is very strange and nothing but a waste of breath IMO, hence the strange dude comment. ::)

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 02:40:41 PM »

Thought I'd add some value to the thread before AnnieP comes along and talks about everything except the topic.   ;D

Geez AF, you're talking about everything except the topic, in this case, the pullout from the coalition by the eco-groups. Focus, buddy, focus.

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 03:06:01 PM »

Well if your trying to get a point across to people and settle for anything less than your objective, your basically doing it for nothing.

That to me is very strange and nothing but a waste of breath IMO, hence the strange dude comment. ::)

Most people argue to make a point. Some argue to get their jollies. It's usually pretty easy to tell which kind a person is.