Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Virus Now Found In Cultus Lake Cutthroat  (Read 7705 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Virus Now Found In Cultus Lake Cutthroat
« on: July 19, 2012, 12:10:36 PM »

CBC News reported this on the 11 am morning news. Time running out on my libary computer so someone else can post the link I am sure. ;D

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
Re: Virus Now Found In Cultus Lake Cutthroat
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 12:16:48 PM »

Link to the Vancouver Sun article here: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=30392.0
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 12:29:59 PM »

Interesting that Morton found this earlier in the year in grocery store product and of course the feedlots and DFO denied it existed....

"The Atlantic farm salmon (44/45 samples) purchased (February 2012) by Morton from Vancouver and Victoria supermarkets tested positive for PRV. Loblaw confirmed these fish had been reared in BC waters. This suggests PRV is widespread in BC farm salmon. Most salmon farms in BC are on the Fraser sockeye migration routes.

In a televised interview (April 20, 2012) Dr. Gary Marty, the Provincial farm salmon veterinarian and Cohen Commission witness confirmed he found the virus in 75% of BC farm salmon he tested. Dr. Marty suggests the piscine reovirus is not a concern. However, a joint scientific publication by the Center for Infection and Immunity, Columbia University, New York and Norwegian government scientists state: “…it is urgent that measures be taken to control PRV not only because it threatens domestic salmon production but also due to the potential for transmission to wild salmon populations.
” The evidence that PRV is common in farm salmon was missing from the disease reports provided to the Cohen Commission by Dr. Marty.

Although the provincial vet reports the virus in “sick fish,” spokesperson for the BC Salmon Farmer’s Association, Mary Ellen Walling claims they are not seeing any indication of the virus.

DFO spokesperson Frank Stanek assures us: “Government of Canada scientists have not confirmed the presence of this virus in Canadian fish, despite extensive monitoring and testing.”
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 01:20:02 PM »

Please consider the source, Morton and Routledge,nuff said.
Take the T out of Morton.

Burbot

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 03:19:35 PM »

In a televised interview (April 20, 2012) Dr. Gary Marty, the Provincial farm salmon veterinarian and Cohen Commission witness confirmed he found the virus in 75% of BC farm salmon he tested.

Did you even read what he posted?  ???

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 07:08:37 PM »

Really  ::), enough of the hippy chick already  :-X

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 08:49:59 PM »

"Also involved in the Cultus Lake research discovery were Fred Kibenge, a virology professor at the Atlantic Veterinary College in Prince Edward Island, and Stan Proboszcz, a fisheries biologist with B.C.'s Watershed Watch Salmon Society."

dnibbles

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 10:51:17 PM »

So did these cutthroat swim past the feedlots? Were they even exhibiting any symptoms of "being sick"?

Bassonator

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 12:21:48 AM »

"Also involved in the Cultus Lake research discovery were Fred Kibenge, a virology professor at the Atlantic Veterinary College in Prince Edward Island, and Stan Proboszcz, a fisheries biologist with B.C.'s Watershed Watch Salmon Society."

Wow all Anti's
Take the T out of Morton.

AnnieP

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 09:37:49 AM »

Morton claimed Kibenge confirmed ISA in Routledges original  degraded sampling. There is no posted confirmation  on the OIE website and in fact the head of the department in PEI made a statement within 24 hours of Morton and Routledges first  news conference that ISA was in fact not confirmed. Dr Fred Kibenge also made similar statements at the time. To this day there is no confirmation of ISA in BC salmon. Now Routledge who is not even a marine scientist but a statistician is claiming disease in lake trout. In a statement yesterday Dr. Gary Marty PhD states the O in reovirus stands for orphan because the virus has NO link to any disease. Disease and virus are not the same thing. I'm surprised that sports fishers would be taken in by this nonsense. Not only is Morton smearing farmed salmon and commercial caught wild salmon now she is attempting to destroy BC's sports fishery as well. Wake up people she is in Alaska's pocket and is filming salmon farms in the Broughton with the owner of a Alaska salmon company as I write this. Proof enough for me. Google Sara Belle co-owner Wild  Alaska Salmon Company.  http://wildakgirl.blogspot.com/2012/01/fishy-tale.html

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 09:48:46 AM »

I'm surprised by your total non understanding that a lake trout is not the same as a cutthroat trout. One of them actualy goes to sea.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

AnnieP

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 09:50:40 AM »

Interesting that Morton found this earlier in the year in grocery store product and of course the feedlots and DFO denied it existed....

"The Atlantic farm salmon (44/45 samples) purchased (February 2012) by Morton from Vancouver and Victoria supermarkets tested positive for PRV. Loblaw confirmed these fish had been reared in BC waters. This suggests PRV is widespread in BC farm salmon. Most salmon farms in BC are on the Fraser sockeye migration routes.

In a televised interview (April 20, 2012) Dr. Gary Marty, the Provincial farm salmon veterinarian and Cohen Commission witness confirmed he found the virus in 75% of BC farm salmon he tested. Dr. Marty suggests the piscine reovirus is not a concern. However, a joint scientific publication by the Center for Infection and Immunity, Columbia University, New York and Norwegian government scientists state: “…it is urgent that measures be taken to control PRV not only because it threatens domestic salmon production but also due to the potential for transmission to wild salmon populations.
” The evidence that PRV is common in farm salmon was missing from the disease reports provided to the Cohen Commission by Dr. Marty.

Although the provincial vet reports the virus in “sick fish,” spokesperson for the BC Salmon Farmer’s Association, Mary Ellen Walling claims they are not seeing any indication of the virus.

DFO spokesperson Frank Stanek assures us: “Government of Canada scientists have not confirmed the presence of this virus in Canadian fish, despite extensive monitoring and testing.”

Yup those grocery store samples are certainly optimum for sampling. No proof of whence they came or if they even originated in Canada. No proof of chain of possession other than Morton who has an agenda to destroy salmon farms no matter what it takes .  I cooked on test fishing charter vessels when my husband's family had the chum charter in Johnstone strait. Sampling isn't done on a dirty riverbank on a $3.98 plastic Canuck tire breadboard nor is it done on dead rotting salmon already spawned out. Samples are fresh caught and sampled immediately and separately by professional fish techs from the DFO. I never once have seen the DFO purchase their samples in a grocery store. The only thing I can agree on about grocery stores is Save on and Super Store in  Campbell River are two of the worst is for selling fish long past is best before date.  Most is so freezer burned I wouldn't use if for prawn bait.

AnnieP

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2012, 09:52:43 AM »

I'm surprised by your total non understanding that a lake trout is not the same as a cutthroat trout. One of them actualy goes to sea.

No kidding..............Doesn't alter the fact they are destroying viable industries with a smear campaign.

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2012, 10:10:56 AM »

Morton claimed Kibenge confirmed ISA in Routledges original  degraded sampling. There is no posted confirmation  on the OIE website and in fact the head of the department in PEI made a statement within 24 hours of Morton and Routledges first  news conference that ISA was in fact not confirmed. Dr Fred Kibenge also made similar statements at the time. To this day there is no confirmation of ISA in BC salmon. Now Routledge who is not even a marine scientist but a statistician is claiming disease in lake trout. In a statement yesterday Dr. Gary Marty PhD states the O in reovirus stands for orphan because the virus has NO link to any disease. Disease and virus are not the same thing. I'm surprised that sports fishers would be taken in by this nonsense. Not only is Morton smearing farmed salmon and commercial caught wild salmon now she is attempting to destroy BC's sports fishery as well. Wake up people she is in Alaska's pocket and is filming salmon farms in the Broughton with the owner of a Alaska salmon company as I write this. Proof enough for me. Google Sara Belle co-owner Wild  Alaska Salmon Company.  http://wildakgirl.blogspot.com/2012/01/fishy-tale.html

When you first started posting on this forum I'm sure all of us responded with the sense of welcoming a new poster. While I find your posts entertaining, the humor in them is beginning to be stale.

Posting outrageous claims and throwing out your conspiracy theories without any backup links or credible support does little for your credibility. While the pro-feedlot boys may still be enjoying the humor in your posts, I notice that even they have stopped cheering your outrageous claims.

Please provide links and support for your claims or I will start calling you out on them. Oh, and posting links from fish farm news and "wildakgirl" do not qualify as credible links......   ::)  ???