Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mosquitos  (Read 3981 times)

Robert_G

Mosquitos
« on: July 12, 2012, 04:57:32 PM »

I live on about a quarter acre on Fairfield Island. Anyone out here knows how terrible the mosquitoes are this year.
My question is....is there any such thing as a mosquito trap that actually works and is not too much trouble or difficult to maintain?

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: Mosquitos
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 06:01:20 PM »

A friend of mine lives beside a greenbelt and she sprays her back yard with Listerene. Now it has to be the original one, the one that everybody says tastes awful. Dont dilute just put it in a spray bottle and spray away. Now if you do get sucked on then use deodorant and it takes the itch away. She says both of these work really well and it is all that she now uses.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 06:18:48 PM »

I live on about a quarter acre on Fairfield Island. Anyone out here knows how terrible the mosquitoes are this year.
My question is....is there any such thing as a mosquito trap that actually works and is not too much trouble or difficult to maintain?
Im is Sardis and havent seen a mosquito,wasp or house fly. Strange to see no insects around at all.I hear those big, black light, bug zappers work well!

camtheman

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 07:14:48 PM »

take lots of vitamin b1
you can also buy patches at marks that work real good

island boy

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 09:42:09 PM »

put up a bat house. they can eat like 1000 an hour.
you kill it, you clean it.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 11:01:11 PM »

Im is Sardis and havent seen a mosquito,wasp or house fly. Strange to see no insects around at all.I hear those big, black light, bug zappers work well!

I have one of those bug zappers and they do work well. I got the cordless rechargeable one which has been great because with no cords to worry about, I can place it anywhere I want.
XS Cargo is where I got mine as they have the best price.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Robert_G

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 06:15:46 AM »

I have one of those bug zappers and they do work well. I got the cordless rechargeable one which has been great because with no cords to worry about, I can place it anywhere I want.
XS Cargo is where I got mine as they have the best price.

What is the brand and model #?

mko72

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 10:11:11 AM »

I agree with the bat house. Not to mention, they put on a nice little show at sunset.

cohojoe

bug jacket for Mosquitos
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 12:09:38 PM »

Forget the chemicals.    The world has enough  ,  and  who knows  what  these are doing to you. 
Wear a bug jacket.    You can phone any  good outdoors  store.   Or you can  contact  MEC  store  ;  they have the good ones.

I wear it all the time at the Skagit.   This year the bugs are  dormant.    Maybe  that is why  the fishes  are  hungrier

GordJ

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 12:14:07 PM »

Mosquitos are not attracted to black light. Mosquito traps almost always use CO2 to attract mosquitos. The black light traps do a good job of killing insects, just not mosquitos.

StillAqua

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 04:59:30 PM »

Canadian Tire sells mosquito traps that use UV light, carbon dioxide and octenol to lure mosquitos to the trap (a screen and fan dries them out and kills them) but they'll cost you >$150. But they do work. My bro-in-law in Winnipeg has a Mosquito Magnet that he swears by http://www.mosquitomagnet.com/store/mosquito-magnet-traps/patriot. Zappers won't do anything compared to the traps.

Brook Trout

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 02:06:43 PM »

The whole bat thing is pretty cool have one up at our cabin. They sure take care of those little buggers