Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reddington cpx or echo sr 8wt  (Read 4597 times)

kalex60

Reddington cpx or echo sr 8wt
« on: July 05, 2012, 09:48:26 PM »

Between the two rods which Is the better

Carich980

Re: Reddington cpx or echo sr 8wt
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 12:12:19 AM »

I do not know which of the two is Better but I have read that Redington is coming out with a new line of Rods to replace the Cpx. Check out Ebay as well for Rods & reels there is usually a good deal on a Trade up program or discontinued rods.

Stickleback

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 01:19:46 PM »

What do you mean by which is better? Be more specific please.  What I can tell you is, they both have awesome warranties(or so I hear).  I personally own an Echo Sr switch rod, and I love it.  I just wish I had bought a 7 or 8.  I wouldn't describe the Echo as a fast action rod, and it really bends to the cork, which I like.  It has decent hard wear too, but I wish it had snake guides...  I talked to a few people who fish a Cpx, and they all love them.  The Cpx is definitely a fast action stick.  Different strokes for different folks.  Its all preference.  I highly suggest you look into the TFO Deer creek switch rod as well, I've cast one, and they are really nice sticks.  Again, awesome warranty, probably one of the best!

kalex60

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 09:54:20 AM »

I'm looking  for the more versatile and better value

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 11:12:51 AM »

That's like asking which apple is better - gala or macintosh.  lol

Well, not quite, but my point is that it is personal preference in a lot of cases these days. So many rods are made to decent quality standards that the differences boil down to personal casting strokes, etc.  See if you can get your hands on each rod and give 'er a cast, see which one feels better to you! 

I can't help you much beyond that, unfortunately, as I haven't cast either stick before.

Good luck!
Tex

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 12:46:29 PM »

well first of all we need to know what WEIGHT rod your looking at and what type of fishing your going to be doing. I have fished several of the Echo lineup rods and a buddy owns a CPX which i have tried out. The CPX is an 8wt and i find it stiff as a board and a pain to cast because it isnt full flexing which is what i like however if your fishing heavy sink tips for salmon then it works pretty good. 1 false cast and a double haul shoot and its fired back out there  ;D with a more fully flexing rod you "may" need to make 2false casts to achieve the same distance.

The Echo rods are pretty nice, more full flexing and i enjoy fishing them more because they are also lighter in the hand (to me) I really like the Echo classic over the two newer serious rods they have out now. I have fished an Echo classic spey also which was very nice, I have casted the switch rods up to 8wt and they rock and were by far the funnest of the Echo rods to play with.

as everyone has stated: its all down to personal preference really even if some of the smaller factors help to influence you towards a final decision

I also think taking a look at the TFO line up is well worth a look, they might cost a small margin more but i have been very happy with every TFO rod i have ever cast or fished  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

kalex60

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 01:01:22 AM »

8wt or 7wt what kind of tips can you throw off that

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 07:39:11 AM »

Depends on how good of a caster you are and what you line it up with. Spey casting wise with a matching scandi line you'll be able to chuck any smaller to medium flies and any polyleader you want or even a fairly decent chunk of T8 - T11 and a smaller fly if you are a good caster. With a skagit compact or short you should be able to chuck a big chicken and tips up to 12' T17. If you want to mainly two hand over head cast on the beach or in the river for coho then a Rio Outbound single hand line two line weights heavier than line weight of your switch rod can be a good option and will also spey cast polyleaders nicely. If you are want an all round steelhead and smaller salmon rod then go with a 7 weight, target the odd chum or spring too then the 8wt and if you are going to be targeting fresh Springs and Chum in heavier water conditions I would even go with a 9 weight like the TFO Deer Creek 9wt.  Of those two rods I would say the slower Echo is going to be more versatile and easier to learn with. Switch rods are OK if you want to do a bit of both kinds of casting two hand but anything heavier than a 6 weight switch is too heavy to single hand IMO. Both those rods are good value and have a good warranty by all accounts. If you only want to swing just get a spey rod, much easier to learn with, longer casts with less effort and also better tool for the job, personally I think something around 12- 12'6 is plenty long enough for local rivers up to the Vedder size.