Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: skagit very high and fast almost not worth the effort  (Read 2039 times)

cohojoe

skagit very high and fast almost not worth the effort
« on: July 13, 2012, 12:05:15 PM »

So it was tough fly fishing.    Maybe  the spinner anglers  did better because of  the sonic vibration from  their lures while  trolling.
Almost not worth  spending  the gas  and  time  going in and  out.     I polled  three bank anglers and they were not happy about  the  high water  which  totally  ruined their  casting.     Also  the flow was super fast  .

Flow down by  Ross was  equally fast in the  seams but  OK  in the flats where  two  U tube anglers  were able to  kick around.   Not so good for  us in pontoon boats  who  did not  put  in  at the right  spots.    The fly anglers were using  beaded  nymphs  down deep.     Color of the water  was a factor  but  the vis.  was  about  3 feet  .     I  could see my anchor in  three feet of water.

Also  I had to  use  a  8 pound anchor instead of my normal  4 pound.

No mosquitos at  Ross lake and  Skagit  estuary.    Wear your  life jacket if you are  wading  and  standing in the  fast water.     Too many people go for  an unscheduled swim  this  summer .

Maybe  I will try  Courtenay instead.    Or  maybe  the  Cariboo .

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
Re: skagit very high and fast almost not worth the effort
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 07:34:24 PM »

So it was tough fly fishing.    Maybe  the spinner anglers  did better because of  the sonic vibration from  their lures while  trolling.
Almost not worth  spending  the gas  and  time  going in and  out.     I polled  three bank anglers and they were not happy about  the  high water  which  totally  ruined their  casting.     Also  the flow was super fast  .

Flow down by  Ross was  equally fast in the  seams but  OK  in the flats where  two  U tube anglers  were able to  kick around.   Not so good for  us in pontoon boats  who  did not  put  in  at the right  spots.    The fly anglers were using  beaded  nymphs  down deep.     Color of the water  was a factor  but  the vis.  was  about  3 feet  .     I  could see my anchor in  three feet of water.

Also  I had to  use  a  8 pound anchor instead of my normal  4 pound.

No mosquitos at  Ross lake and  Skagit  estuary.    Wear your  life jacket if you are  wading  and  standing in the  fast water.     Too many people go for  an unscheduled swim  this  summer .

Maybe  I will try  Courtenay instead.    Or  maybe  the  Cariboo .
Thanks for the report. High and fast! Just the way i like it! 3 ft visibilty! Almost perfect conditions for the mouth where she feeds into the lake!