Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slingshot Fishing?  (Read 9200 times)

skaha

• Old Timer
Re: Slingshot Fishing?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2012, 07:13:12 AM »

--was he catching fish? maybe it works... like adding flash with no hooks for kokanee... could be splashing of small rocks would simulate surface feeding fish. .. and draw a crowd.

buzzbomb

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 09:38:48 AM »

Overfishing is not the primary reason of the prohibition of chumming. Chumming can result in eutrophication due to significant addition of nutrients, resulting in hypoxia (depletion of dissolved oxygen) and increase of fish mortality.
Has this ever happened in a lake or river where it has been attributed to chumming?  I assumed the reason chumming is illegal in BC, (and Wa) was the old belief that corn would kill trout (not true).  I spent about a half hour searching the net without finding an example and the only study on it I could find is in a German pdf from 2003.  The meat and potatoes re: baiting on page 10 says there is a balance of nutrients that must be maintained so eutrophication doesn‘t happen, and that it‘s more likely to occur in nutrient poor water but even in Germany and the UK where there are literaly tons of groundbait put in the water it is still only a ‘possibility‘.  Agricultural runoff is still the #1 culprit.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:41:07 AM by buzzbomb »
5% Alc./Vol.

buzzbomb

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 10:38:19 AM »

Couldn‘t edit the bottom part on my phone. ::)  I‘m not going to pretend to know all or even most of this stuff but from what‘s in that pdf it seems that a balance of nutrients is achieved by harvesting a percentage of fish to offset the bait going in.      That still doesn‘t explain why English carp lakes which have nearly zero harvest and constant pre-baiting don‘t die.  There is a problem with eutrophication currently in some of the shallower ones, but that‘s being caused by low water levels from drought and not enough shade, (from what I‘ve read on English forums).  Since Washington state has the same chumming ban, could it be that your lakes in the mountains share some factor that makes them more succeptible to eutrophication than those in other areas?  Almost all our fish kills on the prairies are due to lack of oxygen (heavy snow cover over ice so no growth) or disease or poison.  The winter kills are usually on small waters.  It‘s always better to be safe than sorry where our environment is concerned - once you lose something in nature it‘s hard to get it back.
5% Alc./Vol.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 03:29:29 PM »

---I expect it has more to do with the culture of MOE vs Fish and Wildlife... its ok to buy a license and there is a limit set (supposedly for conservation reasons) then a bunch of rules put in place to ensure it either takes a long time or it is difficult to catch the individual limit.
---Limit your catch don't catch your limit slogans etc.... if the limit is set based on conservation requirements, rod days and other hocus pocus then it should be OK to catch a limit.'... if it is not OK then the Limit should be changed..
--I am not arguing for the elimination of regulations that are intended to provide different experiences in fishing such as catch and release trophy lakes nor for areas of special permit with strict total quota limits etc.
--Presumably an underlying them of one size fits all in simplified regulations is that there is no one to enforce nor monitor special areas that require more complex management.

--Maybe when they get the sewer hook ups for residents around Skaha lake they could conscider chumming for carp... I can only imagine what is happening around the province with high water tables in areas with septic or outhouses that have been grandfathered. I cannot believe chumming except in a very small pond would be an issue... I see the virtue of not chumming with meat or fish products but boiled vegetables? Whats the issue other than culture?

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2012, 12:10:56 AM »

My guess is he's trying to stir up the stocked trout in Deer Lake by imitating feeding time at the hatchery.  Toss out bait, lure, fly, then toss a handful of small pebbles into that general area.  Sounds just like daddy feeding them in the pen :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 12:14:22 AM by Clarki Hunter »

obie1fish

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 03:17:55 PM »

I agree with Clarki. These are hatchery fish, and it seems a common idea about ringing the dinner bell using that method. Or so the theory goes...

pwn50m3 f15h3r

• What a great fish...
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 11:07:45 PM »

Does throwing mud count as chumming? I don't think that throwing mud that is already in the lake can damage what lives in it.
Someone was here

trout80

• I fish therefore I am.
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2012, 08:59:03 AM »

I also agree with Clarki.
fishing is life, the rest is just details.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 09:14:17 AM »

I have seen many of the Lafarge lake shore guys tossing handfuls of small sand/rocks into the water near their floats or bottom rigs. Its exactly what your thinking about getting a few stocked rainbows to think pellets were just tossed. Of course this works less and less the longer those fish are in the water and start foraging for bug life.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/