Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mid-August Lower Mainland  (Read 4249 times)

twoplanker

Mid-August Lower Mainland
« on: July 07, 2012, 10:08:47 AM »

Hello all,
My kids and I will be visiting my parents in the White Rock area in mid-August and want to do some fishing. We'll be bringing medium/light spinning gear. We've chartered an 8hr. Sturgeon/Salmon trip, but want to venture off on our own as well. My memories of fishing B.C. as a kid were life changing and I want to give my teens a similar experience while teaching them etiquette, responsibility and conservation.
With the knowledge you guys have for fishing in the Lower Mainland, where would you go to give kids an unforgettable fishing experience?
Please reply or DM me, thanks in advance.

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: Mid-August Lower Mainland
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 05:37:15 PM »

What are you looking to catch?
Are you into numbers of fish (all/mostly small), or low catches but chances at big fish?

Cheers,
Dan

twoplanker

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 07:26:06 PM »

What are you looking to catch?
Are you into numbers of fish (all/mostly small), or low catches but chances at big fish?

Cheers,
Dan

Thanks for asking Dan.
Target fish: Salmon, Trout or whatever will get the kids adrenaline running. I think medium sized fish would be ideal for our setups- 7' medium light spinning gear (also have light tackle as well). We are traveling light and will not have waders. I will have a non-tidal license (for the charter) with Sturgeon and a Salmon tag. We are looking to beat the bank and will be in a non-4wheel drive vehicle, but will be willing to travel for day trips. Days to fish will be Sun, Tues, and Wed.

Thanks again,
Todd

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 10:46:19 PM »

Your options are pretty limited if you want to catch fish over 12 inches with what you have to work with and are not willing to travel 3+ hours. Salmon fishing in mid August your best bet is the Vedder River ( which is not at peak salmon season when you are here ) but I would not recommend taking them there for the type of gong show it is. Other choices are local lakes but they will be for fish 12 inches and smaller. Also with the hot temps it wont be easy.

Lake fishing would be a great idea if you were willing to travel 3+ hours, going to a lake at 4000 feet plus, renting a cabin and renting a boat.

One other alternative is local bass fishing which is in a few places in the lower mainland ( they are an invasive species here ) perfect water temps for that fishery

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

twoplanker

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 11:21:40 PM »

I'm not opposed to a tidal license if that broadens my options.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 11:57:49 PM »

Welcome to the discussion forum Todd. As others have mentioned, depending on the type of experience you are looking for, fishing opportunities in the Lower Mainland in August is somewhat limited.

While salmon fishing on the Fraser River can be excellent. The amount of fishing pressure, in my opinion, does not represent how fishing in British Columbia really is. Unless you are on a guided boat, which you'll be doing for one day, you'd be lining up with many fishermen along the bank hoping to harvest a salmon or two. I'm sure you will enjoy the sturgeon/salmon charter trip if you are with an experienced local guide. My recommendation is to skip the shore fishing in that area all together because it would be more stressful than relaxing.

Here are some options that I recommend, based on my past fishing experience in August.

By mid August, the Thompson River, which is a tributary of the Fraser River, should drop to reasonably low level for fishing. This river provides a resident rainbow trout fishery that fly anglers enjoy between July and September, but you can certainly try it out with the spincasting outfit. While our preference is to trick these fish with large dry flies in the evening hours, we also used to simply cast small spoons and spinners for them. In fact, they can be caught quite easily with this method. These trout are generally between 1 and 2lb, with the odd bigger ones. They fight very hard. The Thompson River runs from Kamloops to Lytton. The areas where I recommend for you to visit is upstream from Spences Bridge, where the flow is more moderate. It is doable for day trips, but ideally you should spend two to three days in this area because there's so much to experience. The drive from Lytton to Spences Bridge takes you along the raging part of the river where whitewater rafting is done. The areas for fishing further upstream is also great for swimming on those hot August days. In August, salmon will also be making their way up this river so you also have a chance to connect with a chinook or sockeye salmon. Openings for these species are usually announced in early August so keep an eye out for them if you decide to go up. For camping or accommodation in general, try not to stay near the river despite of its convenience. The trains run along the river, even at night, making sleep rather impossible. We learned our lesson many years ago. ;)

If there isn't a preference in target species, then perhaps you should visit Steveston where I regularly spend my time in the summer. Check out the dock and see what the commercial boats are selling, enjoy the fish and chips, etc. Fishing in this area is available. You can target a variety of species that are not known for their table fare. You can spincast for northern pikeminnow, float fish with bait for peamouth chub, occasionally catch a flounder, you might even hook a cutthroat trout or bull trout. The two places where I like to spend my time at are Garry Point Park and No. 2 Road Pier. You need a tidal water fishing licence for this area.

Capilano River can be good in August, if we get a few rainy days. Last year we took advantage of a day of downpour by visiting the river when water level rose. Coho salmon moved into the river. While we could not land any salmon, we managed to hook a rare summer-run steelhead, which had to be released.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2011/08/23/an-unexpected-lucky-catch/

If Capilano River is low, then most coho salmon will be staging at the river mouth or in front of Ambleside Beach. This fishery can be done from shore, but you have to be there early in the morning to catch them. Locals have success by casting spinners and buzz bombs at these fish, which you can often see splashing on the surface. You need a tidal water licence for this area.

You should make a trip to the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery in Abbotsford. The visitor centre does tours of the hatchery as well as information session on freshwater fisheries around British Columbia. The facility also has two ponds filled with trout, which visitors can try catching during their visit.

The Skagit River is also another option for day trips. I'm not familiar with it so will let others to provide information on it.

I have a few other ideas, but will leave these with you for now to absorb. ;)

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2012, 12:41:25 AM »

Unfortunately your coming about a month early for most of our salmon fisheries. All options others have mentioned are good places to have a go at. Really all of our freshwater salmon at that time is in the Fraser or Capilano rivers, for chances at good numbers of fish, with easy access that is. The Fraser will have large springs and sockeye running but if you can fish for sockeye you will find that the fishery is not the most pleasant fishery, as a matter of fact it can get downright ugly. Bar fishing for springs isn't really an option with your gear either. The Vedder will not be in gong show mode yet but that's because the Red Chinook fishery will be at its tail end and Coho will be very few and far between, that is if they are even in yet.

Salt water, along the beaches would give you an opportunity at coho but you would need a tidal license as rod eluded to. You do have lots of trout fishing opportunities with most local rivers having them at this point. However most of these fish are not huge and run from 6-18 inches but at least your catching something. Local lakes will have trout in them as well although small again at least your catching something as most of the salmon fisheries are very hit and miss. Due to the warmer temperatures most of your fishing will be had early morning and later in the evening. Driving a bit will get you into some of the other fisheries mentioned and they will provide lots of fun and display some of what BC is known for.

Being mostly a river guy this is not my area to comment too much as others can give better info then I can. Visiting some hatcheries is also a nice way to see some fish though. Both the Vedder and Capilano will have salmon in them to view if you want. Enjoy your stay and hopefully you'll get into some fish :)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

twoplanker

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 07:36:05 PM »

Ok, this is all good information, thanks for the replies. I know Ambleside- used to play golf there as a kid. We'll be hanging on the North Shore at least one day, so chucking Buzz-Bombs from the beach there could be do-able. I'll look into some of the other options, the Thompson looks good as well, but I would rather not round trip it in a day. I'm open to anything reasonable to get the kids pumped on BC- this will be their first visit.