Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: newbie aiming for coho at the capilano  (Read 8346 times)

ihatefisheadsoup

newbie aiming for coho at the capilano
« on: April 19, 2012, 02:28:02 PM »

anyone been to the cap resently? never been there and I am free for the next couple of weekend. I want to give it a try, I heard fishing at the cap is much harder the vedder. this is my second year into salmon fishing, I have tons of fun during coho season at the vedder, learnt a lot. I would really like to go with someone with experience with the cap. I have extra homemade coho cured roe if need it. I can provide transportation, and maybe a homemade sandwish. I am in Vancouver. anyone willing to help me out, please let me know.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 02:39:44 PM by ihatefisheadsoup »

silver ghost

• Old Timer
Re: newbie aiming for coho at the capilano
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 03:55:25 PM »

the earlies wont be in for another month or so

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 04:04:12 PM »

Beginning of June is prime time for coho in the tidal portion (mouth).

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 04:12:35 PM »

the earlies wont be in for another month or so

Yes, is a bit early but you never know until you try it. I rather fishing than working ;D .Good luck
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 04:16:02 PM by leapin' tyee »

ihatefisheadsoup

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 04:26:33 PM »

june? wow! long wait :-\ isnt bait-band by then?

Bingbamboom

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 04:51:20 PM »

Had a look at the Capilano today. It is still very, very low. Wait until we have significant rain fall to raise the river a couple of feet. I was able to catch a few in the beggiining of May last year.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 05:08:51 PM »

june? wow! long wait :-\ isnt bait-band by then?

Bait ban start on august 1 st.

alan701

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 05:21:36 PM »

here's a link that's useful to see the current water level: http://www.vankayak.org/capcam/ Never tried the cap but I read if the level is between 3-5 it's good (someone might correct me). right now its below 1

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 05:33:25 PM »

Light flouro leaders seemed to have made a big difference for me when fishing the Cap. Smaller floats and spitshot, along with fresh roe with size 1/2 hooks has been the ticket. Many people fish with spoons and they work very well too. Usually attaching a piece of pencil lead or slipshot to the mainline, just simply casting and retrieving.  When fish have been seeing roe all day, running a blade through them seemes to trigger a bite. If fish are stale and have been in the river for a few days, a blade is perfect for them. Fishing the tides is key to this fishery. I prefer to fish the lower end so incoming tide has been best. You will be really surprised at the amount of fish that can flood through a run during the correct tide.

Goodluck!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 05:58:36 PM by BCfisherman97 »

chen

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 06:30:08 PM »

my fav river!

Animal Chin

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 11:26:40 PM »

Thanks for sharing BCfisherman97!

Are the spring coho smaller? Would an 8 lb mainline (Maxima Ultragreen) and 6 lb fluoro be enough? And finally, can I get away with using a 6 ft medium action rod to float fish the Cap? I have a 10'6, and a 8' medium action rod as well. I'm assuming the Cap is much smaller than the Vedder.

Thanks, Sorry to hijack the thread.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 11:38:11 PM »

Anytime between May and August can be good for coho salmon in either Capilano River or the estuary section just outside the system. Where and when fishing is good depend on how much rain is falling and how much water is being let out by the dam. Keep an eye on the water level in that link provided earlier. If water level rises suddenly, then it is very likely fresh fish are moving into the system immediately. If water level is low for a long period of time, then the beach fishing in the estuary portion can be good.

First light is usually best in this fishery. The tide is another factor that determines fishing result in the estuary and the lower sections of the river. Float fishing with roe, ghost shrimp, deli shrimp, dew worm, lure fishing with spinners, spoons, fly fishing with small patterns will all work. The size of the fish varies between 1 and 6lb, sometimes a bit bigger. They are all very manageable on light tackle.

A couple of things to keep in mind. Bait ban comes in effect on August 1st until October 31st. Summer steelhead are present in the system from mid summer so please identify your fish correctly before deciding to keep them. All steelhead (wild and hatchery-marked) are required to be released. Below is a photo of a summer steelhead from last year.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2011/07/27/dont-cheap-out/

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2011/08/23/an-unexpected-lucky-catch/

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/2011/09/29/frustrated-by-capilano-coho-salmon/

Good luck! :)

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 08:37:23 AM »

Thanks for sharing BCfisherman97!

Are the spring coho smaller? Would an 8 lb mainline (Maxima Ultragreen) and 6 lb fluoro be enough? And finally, can I get away with using a 6 ft medium action rod to float fish the Cap? I have a 10'6, and a 8' medium action rod as well. I'm assuming the Cap is much smaller than the Vedder.

Thanks, Sorry to hijack the thread.

Cap Coho are smaller, so yes, I use a 12-15 main with a 6-10 Seguar leader. A 6 foot rod would be too short for my liking, I use a 10' 6 rod for the cap.

longcaster

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 08:46:21 AM »

soon as the water comes up go fishing, I got 3  in the first 2 weeks of may last yr and I saw 2 more being caught at that same time period not very big but still good fishing .

ihatefisheadsoup

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 08:33:41 AM »

thanks for helping guys. but feel free to PM me if you need a fishing buddy as I really need one:)