Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dead Stickleback in lower vedder  (Read 1878 times)

Dryfly22

Dead Stickleback in lower vedder
« on: April 23, 2012, 09:47:43 PM »

I went back to the Vedder after being away for 3 weeks.  What a great Steelhead season it has been.  I helped Pat release a nice wild on Sunday, and a couple of others were released before I got there.  Way to go Pete!   Any ways after fishing up and down, I decided to look at the Lower where I had never tried before.  I am talking about below Keith Wilson Bridge.  If you are looking down river from the bridge, there is a gravele bar that juts out on the the East side of the river, you know the one.  When I waded out and walked back up to the gravel bank I noticed dead fish on the bottom of the river in about 3 ft of water.  I reached down and picked up Stickleback litterded on the riverbed.  They were all what looked like all adult fish, and that makes sense for the time of the year.  I noticed a healthy population of fry along the shore, so that was a good sign.  The Stickleback for those that are familiar with this fish were ' frozen dead with the spines out " look.

I Was lucky to grow up on a few acres and a pond with Trout/cutties, slamanders, frogs, all the other good stuff like Dragons and Damsels, etc, and a very healthy population of Sticklebacks.  Never did I see more than one dead fish per year.  Something bad happened on the Lower river and I dont know what to do.  I dont usually post, but maybe these fiish should be tested, any ideas?

Ed.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
Re: Dead Stickleback in lower vedder
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 11:29:37 PM »

how many dead were there and did you take pictures? normally I would say notify BC Conservation but theyre so understaffed these days... might be worth a try anyways

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 07:13:50 AM »

You could try contacting Mike Pearson, I worked with him briefly when he was doing an assessment on Davidson Creek. He got his PHD at UBC studying local endangered fish species and I know he has done work with the nooksack dace, and Salish sucker so he may be able to shed more light on this or might be able to point you in the right direction on who to inform.

http://www.pearsonecological.com/

RG

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 08:57:26 AM »

RG

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 08:59:07 AM »

Dryfly22

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 09:55:40 AM »

Dozens of dead ones in that area.  There is a large outflow from the fields on the other side of the canal right there.  It was not flowing on Sunday, and could not be related at all, but i didn't notice any dead fish just upriver of it.  Thanks for the links, I will follow up on it.