Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bad news for Chilliwack steelhead  (Read 19923 times)

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
Re: Bad news for Chilliwack steelhead
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2012, 01:03:12 PM »

again they dont need fert ...the project was for 5 years of fertilizer and now they need to stop and see what happens without .

I know most of the funding for BCCF has run out  but I think without a LARGE funder they will go away like the steelhead.

this is why people need to get involved .

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2012, 02:49:36 PM »

again they dont need fert ...the project was for 5 years of fertilizer and now they think they need to stop and see what happens without .

I know most of the funding for BCCF has run out  but I think without a LARGE funder they will go away like the steelhead.

this is why people need to get involved .

Fixed it for ya Jim

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2012, 04:55:23 PM »

Need some fertilizers? I might be able to get some either through donation or can be purchased at cost. I am tied in Agribusiness  industry. I like to help.

Silex-user
Thanks very much for this, we will keep in touch.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2012, 06:05:40 PM »

Advantages of fertilization projects for those interested in how this helps river system's fish stocks.

http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/hfd/library/ffip/Koning_CW1996.pdf

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2012, 07:33:23 PM »

Schenley

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2012, 10:58:48 AM »

Might I suggest that you get in touch with those useless twits in the Provincial Steelhead Caucus.. So far all I have heard from them is hot air.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2012, 11:57:55 AM »

Might I suggest that you get in touch with those useless twits in the Provincial Steelhead Caucus.. So far all I have heard from them is hot air.

http://www.ralphsultanmla.ca/ralph-works/

maybe time to send this porker an email
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2012, 03:55:48 PM »

http://www.ralphsultanmla.ca/ralph-works/

maybe time to send this porker an email
•Chairing the Steelhead Summit and Steelhead Caucus, with province-wide goals which include saving the steelhead of the Capilano River.

Thanks we may ask him about the fertilization projects and see if he has some ideas how to keep these project going.

speycaster

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2012, 07:55:42 AM »

Gees, I always knew Jet Boat Jim was a bit different, I just did not realize how different until I noticed how he moved in that U-tube video. ;D ;D ;D

goodguy

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2012, 06:50:19 PM »

hey guys just looking for a little clarification here.....nutrition enhancement.....not the hatchery program right..??  what exactly is the nutrition enhancement program?

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2012, 07:15:24 PM »

hey guys just looking for a little clarification here.....nutrition enhancement.....not the hatchery program right..??  what exactly is the nutrition enhancement program?

Check out the video posted above.  It is about enhancing the nutrients (that is where the fertilizer comes in) in the stream to provide a "boost" to the ecosystem.  More nutrients in the water=more food for the insects in the water=more food for the juvenile salmonids.  Well fed juveniles are going to be stronger and healthier and have a better chance of survival.
Not all those who wander are lost

Sandy

• Old Timer
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2012, 07:38:28 PM »

Thanks Sandy for the link. Apparently a meeting with some of the players is on the process of being set up next month to discuss the situation on the Chilliwack Vedder.

I am going to ask this week if the Fraser Valley Salmon Society will commit some money to this project if it gets off the ground.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2012, 09:42:34 PM »

Thanks Sandy.  More fuel for this fire.
Chris, we both know the FVSS are willing participants and have a few thousand $ needing a worthy cause, as does the Chilliwack F&G club.  Add those $ to the 1K CRAC has agreed to spend plus the online offers from FWR members  :)  The money to do this project is there; always has been.
But the heavy snowpack that may cause a longer than normal freshet may negate any nutrient benefits this season, especially after a strong pink salmon run in the upper Chilliwack.
That said, there are huge opportunities for doing "non treatment studies" that will show future funders this program is essential for salmonid production in this nutrient deficient watershed, and these studies will of course need funding ....
I have agreed to facilitate a meeting with the above groups, along with the BCCF, MOE, DFO, and perhaps a few other players, and we will do what we can with what we have.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2012, 12:37:29 AM »

sounds like a good plan Dave, No point wasting the fertiliser and it makes sense to take the opportunity to do some science, hopefully folks will understand that it is a needed component of any program .
what's encouraging is if this can be organised on the Chilli, maybe adoptions could be organised on other needy flows.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!