Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bad news for Chilliwack steelhead  (Read 19922 times)

Sandy

• Old Timer
Re: Bad news for Chilliwack steelhead
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 12:25:53 PM »

Thanks Dave , that helps clear up some of the EM i'm having to field.

Thinking out loud here, I'm wondering if BCCF would be able to revise there budgets to include the tech survey portion required but leave the logistics of the poo detail to others, not sure just how much savings there would be. This can be done just needs organisation.

I understand the electroshock component is now stricktly controled due to safety concernes. Operators need to be trained and not just  casual helpers? Dave you might have some input.

Don't forget folks, this only one of the streams or rivers.

finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 01:18:00 PM »

I understand the electroshock component is now stricktly controled due to safety concernes. Operators need to be trained and not just  casual helpers? Dave you might have some input.
Correct.  All electrofishers must be certified to do so; my certification is expired but I'm told a qualified electrofisher will be available if this comes off.  Sadly, the BCCF had to relinquish their shocker so feelers are out to borrow one ... I don't anticipate any problems with that.
Again, this program this very doable, for all the rivers involved, just look at the monetary responses to this post.  What it needs to make it work is for some group/agency (say perhaps, the Freshwater Fisheries Society) to administer it.  I'm sure some of those people would like to work on a river for a change ;)

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 07:27:19 AM »

i'm in for a couple of bucks!
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

slyrod

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 10:47:47 AM »

im in aswell!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 08:31:53 PM »

Thanks all that have offered help so far, we have been contacted by FOC so we may have some solutions with a meeting in the near future. We will keep you updated how things go and who will take the lead with this.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 03:53:50 PM »

Today's Chilliwack Progress, thanks to Dave for getting the ball rolling on this.
Keep the offers of help coming in so we can move to the next stage on this.
CAG

Champions needed for nutrient program

Published: March 27, 2012 3:00 PM
Updated: March 27, 2012 3:41 PM

I’m passionate about Chilliwack/Vedder River salmon, especially wild steelhead, coho and char. The fact this system continues to produce wild fish being but an hour from almost two million people is amazing.  One reason the C V is still productive and may actually have increasing populations of char, wild steelhead, coho, rainbow trout, and possibly whitefish is the fact nutrients have been added to the upper reaches and selected tributaries to replace the chemical value of carcasses from spawned salmon that historically were more numerous.

Looking like garden fertilizer, these slow release nutrients increase periphyton, the food base of invertebrate (meaning fish food) populations.

The group that ran this science-based program is the British Columbia Conservation Foundation. Their funding was government based with financial and in-house contributions from local advocacy groups like the Chilliwack Fish and Game Protective Association, Fraser Valley Salmon Society and the Chilliwack River Action Committee.

Due to a lack of funding, the BCCF can no longer administer this program or for similar programs on other local rivers.

The annual cost on the C/V, the largest and most expensive to service is well under 10 thousand dollars, so consider this: thousands of anglers fish the C/V annually and each pays up to $20 above their basic licence fee for their steelhead and salmon tags; then add in the economic benefits to local Chilliwack business’s who I’m sure all pay taxes, and you begin to see how short-sighted this loss is.

My hope is that some enlightened person from an industry that does well financially from the resource of the Chilliwack/Vedder wild fishery that benefits many businesses in the City of Chilliwack, reads this and decides to champion a "no-brainer' for producing fish and because money is involved, understands this opportunity for some awesome public relations.

Dave Barnes, Sardis

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2012, 06:37:03 PM »

Thank Chris.
At today's Chilliwack River Action Committee AGM we agreed to donate $1000.00 to the Chilliwack River component of the nutrient enrichment project; here's hoping it comes together.
Thanks to all who have stated they will donate to this cause, but hold your cash for now.  If this comes off, trust me, Chris will be looking for ya like he hunts down Drennans ;D

DRP79

« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 08:40:15 PM »

I would be willing to help as well.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 09:32:54 PM »

I'd be willing to throw something in... and volunteer...
Getting out doing the stream fertilization and enhancements are an awesome experience, meet a lot of good people too.
Hope this all comes together.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2012, 09:40:13 PM »

Interesting and pretty exciting to see quite a bit of interests regarding this. Perhaps it is some collab project both FWR and FlyBC can organize with FVSS, CRAC, SSBC to get the job done. Dave, thoughts?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2012, 07:36:11 AM »

Interesting and pretty exciting to see quite a bit of interests regarding this. Perhaps it is some collab project both FWR and FlyBC can organize with FVSS, CRAC, SSBC to get the job done. Dave, thoughts?
There will be some stumbling blocks to make this happen as when one tackles this type of things politics enter into the equation but a few of us will do our best to make this very worthwhile project happen, thanks to all that have shown interest so far. We will keep you posted if things continue on a positive note.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 07:39:34 AM by chris gadsden »

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2012, 07:41:22 AM »

Rod, you might want to talk to Carlo re the SSBC involvement ... so far no one agency or group has stepped forward to lead this but we are still working on it.  As you probably know this program was not supposed to happen this season as it was apparently a 5 year study but I'm told that is not written in stone and as Chris points out, once a program is cancelled they are often very difficult to reinstate.
To lose this program now, with what appears to be better than normal ocean survival rates, would be just plain wrong.

Sandy

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »

There is also a time /condition constraints with the C/V due to nature of the Fertiliser.

some are trying to find ways to find funding, that is not easy when often budgets are very tight and funds have already been alocated.
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2012, 02:46:54 PM »

There is also a time /condition constraints with the C/V due to nature of the Fertiliser.

some are trying to find ways to find funding, that is not easy when often budgets are very tight and funds have already been alocated.

Very true Sandy and I hope people realize it is not the fault of the British Columbia Conservation Foundation that funding is not available for the admin of these enrichment programs.  Hell, as we both know they support them big time.
Also, this was indeed a sunset program but only because that's how it was originally funded.  I guess I'm tired of seeing studies to defend the science of programs like this when literature searches and common sense should prevail.
Thanks for keeping me in your loop.

Silex-user

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2012, 08:32:34 PM »

Need some fertilizers? I might be able to get some either through donation or can be purchased at cost. I am tied in Agribusiness  industry. I like to help.

Silex-user