Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2012 Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley rainbow trout stocking information  (Read 34606 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

2012's Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley catchable rainbow trout stocking starts today, March 8th. The Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery, operated by the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC, is responsible for stockings of these fish between March and June, September and November, so fishing is expected to be excellent during these months. These angling opportunities are fantastic for families, youth and entry-level anglers due to high catch success rate.

As usual, we will once again be providing regular stocking reports to keep you updated so you can plan your next weekend fishing trip better. Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley lake stocking reports will be available in this thread as well as on this page. You can also find archived reports of catchable rainbow trout stockings across BC in this section of the website.

WHERE TO FISH?

Here are some of the lakes in Region Two that are stocked with rainbow trout.

ADDITIONAL READINGS

It's Trout Season in Vancouver!
Rainbow trout fishing in the Lower Mainland can be excellent between March and June.

Bait Fishing for Stocked Rainbow Trout
The most basic method used when fishing for stocked rainbow trout is bait fishing.

Lure Fishing for Stocked Rainbow Trout
Lure fishing is another effective fishing method in urban lakes. It is preferred by anglers who want to be active.

Good Fishing at Lower Mainland Lakes
A trip to Alice and Edith Lakes shows how good the trout fishing can be around the Lower Mainland.

A Convenient Alternative
Put and take lakes are a good alternative when fishing is slow else where.

“Fishing in the City” Launched
Fishing in the City is a new urban fishing program launched by the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC.

REGULATIONS

Before heading out, please be aware of the followings:

• You must have a valid BC freshwater angling license.
  • You are permitted to keep four trout in Region 2 lakes, unless stated otherwise in lake-specific regulations.
  • If fishing from shore, only ONE fishing rod/line is permitted for each angler.
  • If fishing alone in a boat, an angler is allowed to use TWO fishing rods/lines.
  • Only ONE hook is allowed on each fishing line.
  • There are exceptions/specific regulations for some lakes (such as catch and release only, requirement of barbless hook, boating restrictions), please see the table in Region Two's regulations where each lake is listed for exceptions.
  • If you witness a violation, please phone 1-877-952-7277 (RAPP) and report it.

CONTACT

For stocking plans, please contact the Fraser Valley Trout Hatchery at (604) 504-4716.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: 2012 Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley rainbow trout stocking information
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 01:25:53 PM »

Nevermind, stockings are delayed. ::) We were just at Lafarge Lake and put a couple of scoops into the lake but they did not respond well after 30 minutes. Staff have decided to return them to the hatchery and will try again soon. Sorry for spreading the fishing bug too early. ;D

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 03:55:48 PM »

Nevermind, stockings are delayed. ::) We were just at Lafarge Lake and put a couple of scoops into the lake but they did not respond well after 30 minutes. Staff have decided to return them to the hatchery and will try again soon. Sorry for spreading the fishing bug too early. ;D

Is the water still too cold?

jimmywits

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 04:03:37 PM »

Thanks for the heads up rod, still too cold eh!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 11:46:55 AM »

Hatchery water temp was 3C, lake water temp was 7C. Temperature shock was a factor, but they should have recovered after awhile, so the hatchery did not want to risk it if other factors are involved.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 03:30:32 PM »

Just an update for those who are interested. The problem was indeed the differences in water temperatures so the hatchery took some precautions by postponing the stockings. Stockings were done this morning at Mill, Whonnock and Rolley Lakes and there were no problems. :) Stockings for Lafarge, Rice, Como and Green Timbers Lakes will resume later next week.

jimmywits

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 10:23:53 AM »

Just an update for those who are interested. The problem was indeed the differences in water temperatures so the hatchery took some precautions by postponing the stockings. Stockings were done this morning at Mill, Whonnock and Rolley Lakes and there were no problems. :) Stockings for Lafarge, Rice, Como and Green Timbers Lakes will resume later next week.
Definitely interested Rodney, thanks for staying on top of it, I'll be heading out soon as I can!

Animal Chin

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 03:34:17 PM »

I just got a myself an ultralight spinning rod, so I'm excited to play with it. Even without re-stocking there has to be tons of fish left from last year. I was fishing Rice and can't really see how the 2000 trout stocked at the end were all taken out as the weather got pretty bad immediately after the re-stocking in November.

Would the water still be too cold for them to be biting? I guess only one way to find out.

I find that I usually deep hook most of them using bait (they don't seem to chase after spinners/spoons like alpine lake trout), so I take them home. I don't find them to taste bad, just wondering if the flesh would be better after 4 months in cold water?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 03:39:58 PM by Animal Chin »

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2012, 08:38:26 PM »

I just got a myself an ultralight spinning rod, so I'm excited to play with it. Even without re-stocking there has to be tons of fish left from last year. I was fishing Rice and can't really see how the 2000 trout stocked at the end were all taken out as the weather got pretty bad immediately after the re-stocking in November.

Would the water still be too cold for them to be biting? I guess only one way to find out.

I find that I usually deep hook most of them using bait (they don't seem to chase after spinners/spoons like alpine lake trout), so I take them home. I don't find them to taste bad, just wondering if the flesh would be better after 4 months in cold water?

I remember fly fishing Rice the day they stocked it for the first time of the year. I fished it before the truck came, and the trout I caught were darker in color and tasted really good, so yes.

Speyfitter

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 07:43:27 AM »

Does anyone know on Rice Lake, if there is a weir on the outlet to Rice Creek so the rainbows can not leave the lake?

When I used to volunteer at the hatchery years ago they used to stock Coho fry into Rice Lake and then they put a trap on Rice Creek to check number and condition of coho smolts going to the ocean (Rice Creek flows into the Seymour River) - I remember going to check the trap several times. Rice Creek produced some very nice coho smolts and was a good rearing area for them. However we also observed in our trap shortly after a rainbow stocking in Rice Lake that a bunch of rainbows would outmigrate out of the lake down the creek. We were told at the time that there were plans to put a weir on the outlet of Rice Creek at the Lake to prevent this. But I am not sure if anything ever came of this? Does anyone know?

jeff

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 10:57:09 AM »

Hey Rod just wondering if you know when the lakes near Harrison will be stocked, mainly Deer and Hicks.

Thanks for any info.
Enjoying the water..........

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 11:30:13 AM »

Speyfitter, I seem to recall a conversation about this when I was volunteering at the hatchery over ten years ago but can't remember exactly what the answer was. I'd check with the Seymour Salmon Hatchery as they would be the ones working on this with the Ministry of Environment.

Jeff, I'm not sure. I'm usually only given information one week prior to the stockings, but the hatchery may have information on their long term plan so you might want to phone them up. If I remember correctly, stockings at Deer and Hicks Lakes near Harrison usually happen in late spring, early summer.

Speyfitter

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 01:25:44 PM »

Rod you and I probably had that conversation about ten years ago as I did work there as well for a year in 2002.
I also mentioned it as a volunteer before working there to ministry staff but I never heard what came of it. I did find out that there is one lake in the chilliwack watershed where it may also occur but I can not recall which lake.

adecadelost

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 12:10:40 PM »

Rod any reason the hatchery decided to stock Rolley so early?
Seems odd to stock the lake when the park/gate isn't really open for another 3weeks.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 06:29:33 PM »

Stockings at Lafarge, Como, Rice and Green Timbers went on without a glitch today. :)

I'll have numbers either tomorrow or Monday.

Time to get the float tube out. :)