Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what is a good rod for me?  (Read 8127 times)

cohoaaron

what is a good rod for me?
« on: March 07, 2012, 12:57:36 PM »

hey i am looking to buy a new 8wt. fly rod around 9-10'6 length (2 piece), (my other one is garbage). i fly fish mostly for pinks and chums and i am usually only drifting the fly. i like a more noodly rod (for easier casting) and i am only looking to spend..at absolute most $150. what would be a good rod for me? i forgot to add..rod MUST have a good fighting butt. thanks in advance, Aaron.
edit, (after Austyn's post): i am not looking for a combo, just a rod.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 02:27:15 PM by cohoaaron »

colin6101

Re: what is a good rod?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 01:01:54 PM »

In that price range I would look at a TFO rod, or post an ad in the buy/sell forum here and see if someone has a good used one.

Blackgivesway2blue

Re: what is a good rod?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 01:24:54 PM »

are you looking to spend 150 on just the rod , or 150 as a combo with a reel and line? if your going for just a rod id second a tfo rod, i fish tfo fly rods and love them, dont mind amundson rods either for the price. im picking up my new amundson soon.

cheers, austyn :)

cohoaaron

Re: what is a good rod for me?
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 02:26:52 PM »

thanks guys..... i did a bit of searching, i am liking the TFO signature series (2 piece) what do you guys have to say about this rod?

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 02:49:46 PM »

thats the rod i rock , ive got the lefty kreh signature series in a 5wt, and its a superb rod for the price.

colin6101

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 05:25:52 PM »

If that's the rod you are wanting I'd check out wholesale sports, I was in there spending a gift card I forgot I had the other day and saw they were clearing them out for like 80 dollars. Might want to call to make sure they have some left if it is a far drive though.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 05:49:55 PM »

I have the Dragonfly Kamloops rod from Redl (10', 8Wt, 2pc) that I would be willing to sell.
It is in excellent condition. It is fast action with fighting butt and quality components. MSRP $199 but of course would sell for much less.

I would classify it as a true 8 weight (some rods are labelled as 8wt but really should throw a 9 or 10wt line). It is underpowered for Chum over 12lbs or so, but it isn't too strong for Pinks and would be great for Coho.

Comes with sock and tube including reel case.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:58:04 PM by typhoon »

prairiefire

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 06:09:57 PM »

You can always look on forums for used deals.

Some I frequent are; Here of course, Spey Pages, FlyBC and Washington Fly Fishing Forum.

If you can set up a mailing address in the US. Blaine or Sumas or Point Roberts. You can save a bundle when shopping down south. Cabelas has some good sales too. I rock a St Croix 8wt from them I got on close out for $80. Just have to watch for free shipping though. Both of my 6wts have come from here though. One from Sea-Run (a TFO) and the other from Riverside (an Amundson WW 10'). I usually buy local but good deals are hard to pass up. I love both of my 6 wts.

Here is a whole set-up that looks decent.

http://www.redington.com/outfits/crosswater

Not bad as a spare.
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

cohoaaron

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 06:11:11 PM »

I have the Dragonfly Kamloops rod from Redl (10', 8Wt, 2pc) that I would be willing to sell.
It is in excellent condition. It is fast action with fighting butt and quality components. MSRP $199 but of course would sell for much less.

I would classify it as a true 8 weight (some rods are labelled as 8wt but really should throw a 9 or 10wt line). It is underpowered for Chum over 12lbs or so, but it isn't too strong for Pinks and would be great for Coho.

Comes with sock and tube including reel case.

Thanks a lot for the offer :) but i think i am going to buy the TFO, more than likely.

cohoaaron

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 06:12:45 PM »

You can always look on forums for used deals.

Some I frequent are; Here of course, Spey Pages, FlyBC and Washington Fly Fishing Forum.

If you can set up a mailing address in the US. Blaine or Sumas or Point Roberts. You can save a bundle when shopping down south. Cabelas has some good sales too. I rock a St Croix 8wt from them I got on close out for $80. Just have to watch for free shipping though. Both of my 6wts have come from here though. One from Sea-Run (a TFO) and the other from Riverside (an Amundson WW 10'). I usually buy local but good deals are hard to pass up. I love both of my 6 wts.

Here is a whole set-up that looks decent.

http://www.redington.com/outfits/crosswater

Not bad as a spare.

Thanks for the info :)

prairiefire

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 06:15:34 PM »

Thanks for the info :)

No problem. A coule of mailing places I know of are Hagen's or Pacific Mail and Parcel. They are both in Blaine.
"Assholes are like opinions, everybody got to have one."-Method Man

Animal Chin

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 09:39:22 PM »

There's also "The Letter Carrier" in Point Roberts, WA ($3/package). Couldn't be easier to find, and small/quick border crossing. It's on the other side of Twassessen, 100 yards after the border on the right hand side. 20 min. from Richmond. Hagen's is good too, but there is the Peace Arch to contend with, and I believe a yearly $12 fee on top of the $3 per package charge.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 09:40:54 PM by Animal Chin »

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 12:25:10 AM »

Another vote for a TFO, I have a 4wt, as well as an 8wt. Great rod!

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 08:18:12 AM »

text me nick, we gotta get out next week

cohoaaron

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 12:47:51 PM »

you may have seen im buying that TFO from troutslayer for 30bucks! will be nice for pinks and small coho...still gotta get an 8wt though.....