Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So is it just me? or does anyone else see the "cabin" by the river @teskey area?  (Read 13911 times)

James

i am surprised how few people have noticed this cabin ....

Tex

• Old Timer
  • Water...

Okay feel free to list the social services available to this person in the smaller communities in the Fraser Valley. I think you will be surprised what you find. But I am always open to hear new ideas from others.

I don't live in Chilliwack and am not familiar with all of the opportunities available to someone like this person, but a quick google search turned up this, which covers food, shelter, clothing, and other resources:

http://www.salvationarmychilliwack.ca/care-and-share/

And also this (apparently they have a full strategy for trying to deal with and improve the homelessness situation):

http://www.chilliwack.com/main/attachments/files/1600/Final%20Chilliwack%20Affordable%20Housing%20Strategy.pdf

Believe me, I'm not saying it's perfect, but Canada is a place with a lot of options and services for those who are down on their luck. 

arimaBOATER

Deliverance movie was playing at the movie theatre in the City of Williams Lake while I was there in 1972 ( worked in a saw mill there)

Also singing country great Merle Haggart did an outside concert that summer. He's still singing.
Lots of drunk natives ,cowboys, & other folk during rodeo time.

Merle got back to his tour bus & he said " Let's get the hell outta here " :D

I second & 3 rd the  motion for FWR members to watch the movie.
Really super actors & 5 star acting & nice plot.

There are all sorts of cabins,lean 2s ,tents etc in the backwoods.

Know of one chap in a truck with a camper who had some guy take a few shots at it. Warning him not to park in that part of the backwoods.
Another hunter I know had someone shooting his way so the guy went behind a tree.
He yelled out " Do not shoot "
But a few more shots hit near the tree.
Thinking maybe the shooter may circle & get a clear shot at him so he decided to just run as fast as he could in the opposite direction.

Talk about getting your heart beats to go bumpy bump at a faster rate.

Be careful in the woods or along your off beat fishing spot.

More rapes & murder stories etc have happened in these areas.
Even in those woods near UBC.

Crazy world. That movie is more real than we think.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:41:20 PM by A-BOATER »

brownmancheng

I don't live in Chilliwack and am not familiar with all of the opportunities available to someone like this person, but a quick google search turned up this, which covers food, shelter, clothing, and other resources:

http://www.salvationarmychilliwack.ca/care-and-share/

And also this (apparently they have a full strategy for trying to deal with and improve the homelessness situation):

http://www.chilliwack.com/main/attachments/files/1600/Final%20Chilliwack%20Affordable%20Housing%20Strategy.pdf

Believe me, I'm not saying it's perfect, but Canada is a place with a lot of options and services for those who are down on their luck. 

Don't take this the wrong way any one but Canada is the best place in the world to be if you are a drug addict you have more help and programs then struggling families. The problem is the wrong people are taking up the resources. Addicts get perscribed synthetic heroin @ doctors along Hastings at our expense and then turn around and sell them or inject themselves.  Free drugs, free food free clothing  why bother working you will all support me right? Donate ur fishing tackle to me! It's not fair u worked for it but I don't have any lol!!!

Riverman

• old fart

You ain goin tuh Aintree!
Riverman

Athezone

• Old Timer

Griner: Canoe trip ?
Lewis: That's right, a canoe trip.
Griner: What the hell you want to go f--k around with that river for ?
Lewis: Because it's there.
Griner: It's there all right. You get in there and can't get out, you're gonna wish it wasn't.

Athezone

• Old Timer

To get back to the thread for a second, I don't think that people or persons should feel they have the freedom to build an encamptment, shanty, cabin or a home on the river. Unless they hold legal title on said land. This type of situation is fraught with problems whereby more and more homeless people join the fray and public land is now looked upon as their property.

Believe me when I say that once a person becomes accustomed and personally acclimatized after a few weeks of living in one spot they will become territorial and a feeling of, "This is My land, this where I live" is common place. I know this because I've met fishermen who only visiting a piece of river sparingly get a sense of entitlement and ownership of a spot.

I'm sorry that people have no place to live but as some posters have mentioned there are numerous services available for help. The authorities should be notified of this situation and go out and speak with the person or people involved. If he owns the land then he is free to stay as long he likes. If he doesn't it should be pointed out to him that he is camping illegally and should vacate said premises.

Again, I hate to sound like a NIMBY but I also hate looking over my shoulder when I'm in the woods just because some stranger has given me the dead eye look as I walked past his home. Gives me the heebie-jeeebies.  :o 8) :o
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:39:27 AM by Athezone »

Sandy

• Old Timer

To get back to the thread for a second, I don't think that people or persons should feel they have the freedom to build an encamptment, shanty, cabin or a home on the river. Unless they hold legal title on said land. This type of situation is fraught with problems whereby more and more homeless people join the fray and public land is now looked upon as their property.

Believe me when I say that once a person becomes accustomed and personally acclimatized after a few weeks of living in one spot they will become territorial and a feeling of, "This is My land, this where I live" is common place. I know this because I've met fishermen who only visiting a piece of river sparingly get a sense of entitlement and ownership of a spot.

I'm sorry that people have no place to live but as some posters have mentioned there are numerous services available for help. The authorities should be notified of this situation and go out and speak with the person or people involved. If he owns the land then he is free to stay as long he likes. If he doesn't it should be pointed out to him that he is camping illegally and should vacate said premises.

Again, I hate to sound like a NIMBY but I also hate looking over my shoulder when I'm in the woods just because some stranger has given me the dead eye look as I walked past his home. Gives me the heebie-jeeebies.  :o 8) :o

Yep, no squatters rights in BC, else I'd have my wee part staked out. I'n the past MOF were usually quick to remove unautherised structures. including industrial workers'  tents etc..
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

Brian the fisherman

i know the cabin you are talking about. Some people dont want help nor do they need it from the government.
alot of people like that are just sick of being in the busy life. they don't need people to give them any assistance as they enjoy living off the land.
They don't want to pay bills nor do they want to earn money just to have it taxed and put back into others hands in bill form. some people just want to live for themself and not try to collect property. only essencials which little money is needed. there looking at it as a way of life that is being lost due to ease of life now a days. and a way of not being controlled by society and their requirements.
Tight lines to all

Sandy

• Old Timer

fact is those people are just the same as us and we all live under the collective entity called society, we all have rights, protection and are using something that had a cost to create and maintain. That alone means that there is no such thing as not costing society anything because you choose to persue a so-called of the grid lifestyle.

At one time or another I searched for that lifestyle, that is before I realised that I would be just hiding from or shirking my resposabilities towards the very thing that allows me to make those choices. 
finding your limits is fun, it can also be VERY painful.

If you care about Canada's future, get involved by holding your MLA's & MP's accountable!! don't just be sheep!!

scuntor

I've heard MOF puts notices up that it must be taken down by a certain date. After the date they torch the cabin.

silver ghost

• Old Timer

When I read this for the first time, I thought "leave the guy alone. he's down on his luck". But a good point was raised about people developing a sense of ownership after a while. I can see how this is problematic, as another member mentioned he knows of others who have been shot at, which I speculate to be some of these pseudo-landowners protecting "their space". In any case, what's out of sight is out of mind, and i'm sure there are many such cabins deep in the woods that noone knows about. But I guess the point here is this guy shouldn't be living there if the land is not his. It would not be very nice if we went to our favorite run through a beaten path and we came across a bunch of tents/cabins surrounded by garbage and human waste, the owners likely poaching the hell out of fish to survive...oh wait, wasn't that what happened at the allison site?  :D

I will watch deliverance tonight, looking forward to it!

Thats crazy about the MOF torching the cabin. Makes sense though!

Sam6140

pretty good movie.  thanks for mentioning it.   Looks like a great river to fish too.  I can't believe those guys didn't pack any fishing gear. haha

James

the thought did cross my mind " just leave it alone , it isn't my business "

But then , I think of the human waste and the possibility that someone may or could get assualted for walking on "his" land . I know I didn't get a friendly wave when he saw me walking on the trail he built .

Rules are rules ... just the way it is .

or maybe I am just jealous that I can't have a cabin on a river ;)

Are you guys serious about the MOF torching the cabin  ?

dennyman

• Old Timer

More than likely the reason they would torch some shelters is for sanitation reasons. If the place was overrun with lice and fleas for instance, why would you want to take it apart and expose yourself to that.