Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sickle Octopus Hooks  (Read 6061 times)

bigblue

• Old Timer
Sickle Octopus Hooks
« on: March 06, 2012, 11:18:19 PM »

After loosing three chrome steelies in a row, I am looking for a way to improve my batting average and my confidence.
I picked up a few packs of sickle octopus hooks and was wondering if anyone tried these and if they hold fish better than normal octopus hooks?

Every Day

• Old Timer
Re: Sickle Octopus Hooks
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 11:51:13 PM »

Beginning of season I was 7 for 20 on steelies...
Switched to sickle hooks (gammies Big River hooks, and Matzou when I didn't have any gammies left) and I have been 10 for 13 since.
I would def recommend Matzou... especially their siwash hooks.

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 01:12:09 AM »

Gammies are good as stated in another thread, but losing fish is part of the game!  ;D

Tadpole

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 05:21:32 AM »

Sickle Matzou are made out of very poor steel quality. Crappy tire brand.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 06:59:17 AM »

Beginning of season I was 7 for 20 on steelies...
Switched to sickle hooks (gammies Big River hooks, and Matzou when I didn't have any gammies left) and I have been 10 for 13 since.
I would def recommend Matzou... especially their siwash hooks.
What size Matzuo Siwash hooks do you use? Their jig hooks seem to be 1-2 sizes larger gape than most other brands.

Toprod

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 07:04:28 AM »

x 2, Matzuo Crappy Tire hooks are of lower quality and break easier than gammies.

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 07:11:59 AM »

Matzuo sickle hooks are some of the best made, but like many manufacturers they make all their hooks in various wire diameters.
The C-Tire hooks are light wire and are not suitable for large fish in moving water.
There are companies that have access to their 2x heavy wire hooks which have awesome holding power.
Bent Rod seems to have the exclusive rights to these hooks in Canada but they are also available from online co's in the US.
I'm not sure if Rod sells the Siwash hooks separately.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 07:49:53 AM »

I know that sickle siwash hooks work well as much have been written about them.
However, I am interested about the sickle octopus hooks used for bait fishing.
Do they also work as well?

BentRodsGuiding

• Bent Rods Guiding & Fishing
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 08:28:47 AM »

I only have the Sickle Octopus in small quantities for my own use, they are the old ones made in korea of the good thick wire.
I know that the crappy tire ones seem to be unpopular due to thin wire.

As far as octopus hooks go, sometimes using a small #4 gammy or owner hook can up your chances at landing fish. Remember to set that hook hard.
Fraser River Sturgeon, Salmon and Steelhead www.bentrods.ca

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 09:38:47 AM »

I only have the Sickle Octopus in small quantities for my own use, they are the old ones made in korea of the good thick wire.
I know that the crappy tire ones seem to be unpopular due to thin wire.

As far as octopus hooks go, sometimes using a small #4 gammy or owner hook can up your chances at landing fish. Remember to set that hook hard.

Ones I bought are Matzuo Sickle Octopus hooks in sizes 2, 1, 1/0 from C-Tire.
I took them out of the package and inspected them closely and yes the wires do look rather thin compared to Gammies I normally use and much thinner than Owner hooks.
These thin hooks won't help with my confidence fighting an angry fresh run steelhead.

Everyday, do you use the Gammie Big River hooks on your spoons or as bait hooks?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:00:04 AM by bigblue »

joshhowat

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 11:27:12 AM »

I lost a handfull of fish in the start of the season and was freaking out and over thinking it too. Then I landed a ton in a row and thought I was back to my old self. But on Sunday I lost a nice buck burning down river and Tuesday I lost another nice fresh fish. It bugs me alot but what the hell I think it's cause I got weak hook set. I use 2 owners 90% of the time.

It's funny  cause when ever my newb brother comes I tell him to set the hook like he's trying to break the line.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 02:06:26 PM »

First off I would like to say I have no had a matzou fail yet... on some decent sized fish up to 14 pounds full of spunk (haven't hooked anything bigger yet that I know of).
The only problem I occasionally have is when I snag bottom badly and finally get it to pop, SOMETIMES the hook point is bent and the hook is done.

What size Matzuo Siwash hooks do you use? Their jig hooks seem to be 1-2 sizes larger gape than most other brands.

I try to get size 1's, but will go to 1/0. I don't like anything bigger, as I want to cause least damage to fish as I can.
Whatever you do, always change the factory hooks off, they are way too big and definitely destroy fish.

Everyday, do you use the Gammie Big River hooks on your spoons or as bait hooks?

I use them on spoons...
Out of the 20 or so trips I'v made this year I think I've only chucked float combos around 5 of them.
Most of the time I'm throwing roe flies or pink worms so I don't really ever use bait.

The Big River hooks I find hold their points very well.
I can snag bottom multiple times, even badly and pop them off and the point still is sticky sharp. It takes a lot to wear them down/bend their points.

All in all I do for sure find that the sickles hold on to fish better.
It improved my landing average drastically, on spoons be it, but I can't see if being much different while using bait.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 02:14:22 AM »

I've been using Matzuo sickle hooks several years and I've never had one snap or bend out on a fish.  I have used from 1/0 through 4 siwash sickle hooks.  They will bend out on snags with heavier leaders, but theres a big difference between pretty exerted on the hook point (ie: snag) and pressure exerted on the bend (fish), theres a lot more leverage on a hook bend when the point is snagged.  They hold far better than Gamakatsu siwash hooks.

I originally purchased them for colorado blades for coho where I wasn't overly concerned whether I broke or bend out a couple hooks on a "Canadian Tire hook", however, I found Matzuo hooks to be a quality hook.  I use Matzuo sickle hooks on all my colorado blades now.  I trust them and they hold fish well.