Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bow River  (Read 14820 times)

Danny

Bow River
« on: February 10, 2012, 12:00:09 PM »

hey friends,

I moved to Calgary on monday for work  :-[, i've fished 2 different parts of the Bow river from shore near the dog park and fish creek provincial park over the past 2 days. the temperature was around 0 degrees so i was checking out the water.  today is around -10 so i'm staying away as i doubt the trout are anxious to go after my flies. 

just curious if any of you out there have experience on the Bow, or other lakes or streams near the calgary area.

thanks!

mzmann

Re: Bow River
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 03:17:23 PM »

Fished the Bow MANY times but never right in Calgary....My best fishing in the bow ever and best fishing I have found there on a consistent basis is a bit southeast of Calgary at the Carseland weir out in Carseland.......google map it for directions and ask around at the bait/tackle shops and they can tell you best places as well but I really do recommend the weir I mentioned.....once down there then there is many little channels and flows to fish or you can walk up and down the main river and cast away there.....brown and rainbow HEAVEN!!......another good option is anywhere along the river in Canmore/Exshaw area....by the dam out by exshaw.....or Kananaskis river right in the area it goes under the highway near the seebe campgrounds (I think its called bow valley park campground and cant remember name of campground right across from it but thats the one you want as it gives best access to the K river).........I would also be willing to bet that Wapiti Sports in Canmore would answer any other questions you may have when it comes to rivers/streams, etc in the Calgary to Banff area. Hope this helps and tight lines......I have had some of my best days fishing ever on the Bow so i'm sure you will enjoy once you get into the fish!!.......also maybe worth mentioning is that the fish get much bigger in size down the Carseland way versus the Canmore way but on the same note I much prefer the scenery out Canmore way versus the wonderful flat prairies area of most of the rest of southern AB, lol......

Cheers
Wishin I was fishin!! :)

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 09:16:10 PM »

There aRe more fish per I'm in the lower bow but decent number in the upper wight many browns to be had.scenery is amazing and many bears too! Bring you bear spray  ;D

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 05:31:01 PM »

Never fished it but hope to one day... you'll want to read Fly Fish Calgary's site.

YetiHunter

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 11:46:22 PM »

I lived in Calgary for 12 years and fished the Bow the whole time I was there. I agree that below the weir at Carsland is one of the best sections...but the whole river is fantastic. If  you have a small boat, there is a shuttle service that will pick up your vehicle for you in the city and drop it either at Policeman Flats or closer to the weir. It's a great days float.

The fishing starts off good and gets even better, the farther downriver you go - but the upper river near Kananaskis is a lovely place to fish and the numbers are still pretty good, even if the average size isn't quite what it is in the lower river.

I've had great fishing right in the city near the zoo and just biking the paths with a fly rod stopping here and there. Pretty much the whole river is fishable and you can run into big trout everywhere.

The river usually blows out for June and the begining of July - but just after Stampede the fun starts. Mayflies, clouds of sedges, late season grasshoppers and my absolute favorite was night fishing for big browns with hoppers and muddlers at the south end of the city.

Take your time and explore, as I said a bicycle is a great way to get to know the river near the city....it's truly a fabulous fishery. Keep us posted how you do - I'm jealous thinking about it.

Danny

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 01:54:57 PM »

thanks so much guys this helps a lot!  the next sport i was going to try and hit is policemans flats, and again at fish creek park, i saw 2 charter vehicles at a different parking lot a bit upstream where i was fishing, so i was going to try there as well.  temperature is great today at +6, but i'm heading up to fort mac and start my 1 week on 1 week off rotation tomorrow, so i'll be hitting it pretty hard if the weather co-operates when i'm back in town!  so stoked to catch my first fish on the fly, and my first fish on the bow!  im looking forward to the summer so much! i hear there's 1000 trout per mile of river, so it's only a matter of time!

purplehelmet

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 05:23:06 PM »

I may be passing through early August--how's it then?
It's NOT good for the smoker!

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 09:33:15 PM »

You'll definitely want to check out flyfishcalgary.com, it's an amazing resource.

I used to fish the Bow quite frequently when I lived in Alberta. My personal favorite times were in early may down at the mouth of the Highwood fishing for staging rainbows, early july as soon as the water begins to drop from freshet and in the fall when the boatmen come out and the browns begin staging. You owe it to yourself to try night fishing for those browns, the takes are second to none.

Purplehelmet: If you're passing through in August, I would try the Highwood, Livingstone, or Crowsnest. The cutthroat fishing at that time of year is amazing.
Actions speak louder than words.

YetiHunter

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 11:01:45 AM »

I may be passing through early August--how's it then?

Prime!

You owe it to yourself to try night fishing for those browns, the takes are second to none.

Couldn't agree more

purplehelmet

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 06:39:46 PM »

Thanks guys...  (I've been away f/ the forum).  I now know for sure which way I'll be returning f/ my family reunion in SK.

purplehelmet

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 08:53:47 PM »

BTW, how does one night fish?  One of those headband flashlights?

YetiHunter

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 11:36:39 PM »

BTW, how does one night fish?  One of those headband flashlights?

The headband flashlights are very handy, but any small light will do - the less you shine it on the water the better. The fish aren't leader shy at night and you can use a pretty heavy leader. Just tie on something big and hairy (I like muddlers) and don't plan on changing flies often...or at all. Your eyes will get somewhat used to the dark, but tying a fly on at night is another story.

Also, it's a good idea to scout your spot in advance and stay put. I usually waded a little ways out but I would discourage that if you are on your own. Probably not a smart practice in the dark, even if you are with someone.