Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flyfishing for Trout  (Read 4872 times)

Hasport

Flyfishing for Trout
« on: February 01, 2012, 07:30:03 PM »

Hi, so a buddy and I are wondering if there are any places we can go for trout. We're not asking for "secret spots" just a basic idea where to go. Any suggestions? Or is it too late in the season to target trout?

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
Re: Flyfishing for Trout
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 07:34:46 PM »

Cut Throat Season = Find em

We were out last weekend and found nothing traveling all over hells half acre. Others found lots the next day. Simply a matter of heading to different spots I suppose. Ill be heading out tomorrow as well. I cant really give you a good spot, but if its wet, and a walking pace of current, its cuttie holding water. Good luck!
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

Hasport

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 07:53:34 PM »

Thanks Dan! Which systems is what we're wondering? Fraser? Stave river?

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 07:59:01 PM »

Honestly, there is no specific one that will hold fish right now. None of them, and all of them. Just check your regs (I think most in the LML is open) and then head out. Personally I will be hitting the Stave, possibly around the harrison, and then a few smaller streams that will remain nameless. I dont know how the Vedder is doing as far as trouts go, but steelheads are coming out of there, so if I fished there, I would check that out as well. Dont worry about specific system though (other than regs, DO WORRY ABOUT THOSE!) and just find good holding water.

awurban@msn.com

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 08:37:37 PM »

come over to the island and fish the upper cowichan for big browns on the fly

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 08:46:53 PM »

DanJohn is giving you some good info. Cutties are prolific around the Lower Mainland! Almost all creeks and sloughs have them. Before I moved to Burnaby, my friends and I used to fly fish the little creeks in the forests in Coquitlam/Port Moody, they were full of cutties! Even most of the creeks around the area I live will have them. Pretty much all of the backwaters and sloughs connecting to the Fraser will hold them. All the sloughs Ive fished around Mission, gonna be a little more specific for you, the sloughs and backwaters of the Fraser around Hatzic Lake, have cutties and they will readily bite. Just keep moving around till you find them. Micky Finns, leaches, small minnow and egg patters,  flesh flies and small nymphs all work. Best of luck!

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 09:52:38 PM »

And as I said I will be at the stave, if you see a douche that looks like the guy in my profile pic, come around and say hi! I'm tying up some rolled muddlers, if you need a couple I can give you some.

They will also take dries if you find fish.  Thats my goal!

Best of luck to you guys.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 09:54:50 PM »

Yes, all these systems do have the "potential" to hold trout, but cutties are famous for being migratory hunters.  Even in a single system (ie: Harrison, Stave, Dewdney, etc) you will often not find them in the same spot two days in a row, or even within the same day.  The trick is to search them out, look for signs of feeding trout, and once you find a school, it is GAME ON.
Not all those who wander are lost

Hasport

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 10:57:33 PM »

Thanks for all the great info guys! My friend and I were at the Stave river today, with no luck. Seen a spey guy with a orange coat, asked for some info but got shrugged out...anyways. We're both terrible at finding fish, let alone in a system we never fished before. I was throwing egg patterns, muddlers (olive, green), and egg sucking leeches, all with a type 3 sink tip.

Now when it comes to looking for the trout, we both having difficulties with this, and where about to cast into. We started down from the dam at some gravel bar point and work our way down to no avail. Any tips on this? Like methods?

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 11:39:02 PM »

cohoaaron

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »

Hey bcfisherman do you ever fish those little creeks by deer lake in bby?

koko

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 03:15:55 PM »

Yes, 25 years ago on dry fly with a cane rod 6" was a trophy though.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 07:45:20 PM »

Right now the trout, if they are there, will likely be hanging out in the tailouts where they can pick up the odd drifting eggs stirred up by steelhead.  If the weather warms enough for insects to stir (or a stonefly or two is displaced from its rocky home by a wading fisherman), then you might find them swimming in the deeper pools.  As the fry start to emerge in a couple of months, you will find them in more areas where ever there are fry.  You want to look for fish rising or even slight disturbances on the surface.  The cutthroat are predators and the fry will often leap right out of the water to escape them.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 08:01:03 PM »

I remember fishing them when I was a little kid, my grandpa would take me for walks around the lake every morning. Deer Lake has some really big fish by what I have seen, wouldn't doubt that they do go into the creeks.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 09:09:37 PM »

I ...wouldn't doubt that they do go into the creeks.

every April.